MPC Monsters Appreciation Thread

Started by horrorhunter, August 30, 2013, 10:03:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

horrorhunter

This thread is for any and all MPC Monsters! Pop-Top Horrors, Unbreakable Weirds, Fritos Mini Monsters, Haunted Hulks, Horror House Target Playset, King Kong Playset, MPC Monster Kits. I know there are some other threads that have touched on some of these, but I wanted to create one for MPC Monsters collectively.

These are some pics of mine to start us out. Let's show our MPC Monsters some love and post 'em!

ALWAYS MONSTERING...

jimm

Yikes, those packaged ones are extra boss!

Hepcat

Quote from: horrorhunter on August 30, 2013, 10:03:17 PM
MPC Monster Kits

Not the same company at all. The company that produced the Pop-Tops and playsets was the Multiple Plastics Corporation while the model kits were produced by Model Products Corporation.

Quote from: horrorhunter on August 30, 2013, 10:03:17 PM
King Kong Playset

King Kong Playset? Now that is something I'd like to see. I didn't know one was made.

:o
Collecting! It's what I do!

Hepcat

Quote from: jimm on August 30, 2013, 11:37:53 PMYikes, those packaged ones are extra boss!

Yes, please show us some close-ups. Are the figures in the packages brittle with parts that have broken off with age?

???

horrorhunter

Quote from: Hepcat on August 31, 2013, 11:06:31 AM
Not the same company at all. The company that produced the Pop-Tops and playsets was the Multiple Plastics Corporation while the model kits were produced by Model Products Corporation.

King Kong Playset? Now that is something I'd like to see. I didn't know one was made.

:o
I didn't know that about the model kits. Thanks for the info, Hepcat. Multiple had their hands in so much I just assumed (and we know what that really stands for).

MPC made an awesome King Kong playset based on the Rankin/Bass cartoon in 1967. I got one for Christmas that year. That is one of the things I haven't replaced....yet.
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

horrorhunter

Quote from: jimm on August 30, 2013, 11:37:53 PM
Yikes, those packaged ones are extra boss!
Thanks, jimm. I got those at The Monster Bash in 2001. Kent Daluga had his eye on them, but I snagged 'em first (sorry, Kookster).
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

horrorhunter

Quote from: Hepcat on August 31, 2013, 11:12:53 AM
Yes, please show us some close-ups. Are the figures in the packages brittle with parts that have broken off with age?

???
Maybe I'll post some close-ups later (kinda getting burned out, may take a break for awhile). They aren't brittle or broken at all. One is missing a head but it was packaged that way. That infamous MPC quality control we've talked about. Marx wouldn't have stood for it.

Hopefully other members will post some of their MPC Monsters as well. They made some great ones.
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

Hepcat

Quote from: Hepcat on August 31, 2013, 11:06:31 AM

Quote from: horrorhunter on August 31, 2013, 11:23:45 AM
I didn't know that about the model kits.... Multiple had their hands in so much I just assumed....

The Model Products Corporation was established by Dick Branster and George A. Toteff Jr. to break into AMT's stranglehold on the model car kit market. Toteff had been a vice president at AMT and had developed the first "3-in-1" model car kits for AMT. MPC kits first appeared on store shelves in 1965.

:)

vtoys

Gasport

A little piece of monster heaven you have there HH! Inspiring collection...

Toy Ranch

Hepcat

Love that! Two whole shelves dedicated to MPC and Palmer monster goodness!

8)

Allhallowsday

Quote from: Hepcat on August 31, 2013, 11:12:53 AM
???
Here's a pic of the four packages of two each.  The colors vary in these packs, between the original three colors: orange, yellow, purple. 

This was about half of the loose Pop Tops I had including the only Mexico, the black vampire in back.  He's sturdy as hell. 

Multiple Toymakers' plastic figures often do not hold up to time.  They frequently and unexpectedly become fragile.  I have owned a lot of these figures with never a problem, and then...

If you want to view Paradise, simply look around and view it.

horrorhunter

Quote from: Toy Ranch on September 01, 2013, 05:19:10 AM

Very impressive display. It may be the most extensive display of MPC monsters anywhere.

BTW, the Palmers are very nice too. I see you did the same as I with your Palmers- settle for one of each with all four colors represented two per each color.
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

ChrisW

Great displays. I had the target set and always thought the figures - especially the exocutioner and death - were genuinely scary.
am I remembering correctly that the gun in the target set was essentially a blow mold, and you squeezed the sides to pop the ball out?