Favorite comic book ads

Started by Wicked Lester, March 19, 2011, 05:54:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Radioactive Rod Whitenack

Those freakin' flat toy soldiers appear to have been the bane of our shared existence! I remember drooling over how many tanks and jeeps I was going to get (thinking they would be the same size as my regular army men toys) only to be extremely disappointed when they finally arrived in the mail.

P.S. I love that Moon Monster poster. Someone should do an action figure, three dimensional statue or model kit of that figure. I'm pretty sure nobody owns the rights to that character.

Scatter

Quote from: Hepcat on March 26, 2011, 10:45:21 AM
Wiser moms maybe!

;)

This long running ad for Sea Monkeys is among the most classic ever:

8)

I had Sea Monkeys!! Until my brother kicked over their little red home.

We're all here because we're not all there.
http://www.distinctivedummies.net/index.html

monsterphile

Quote from: ChattyLMS on March 26, 2011, 10:29:43 AM
I forgot about those old comic book ads.  I always wanted the X-ray glasses. 

I have a pair that I believe are vintage.  They belonged to my grandmother's brother. 

...and here I am looking at all of you naked...and getting nauseous!

Rob

Hepcat

Quote from: Scatter on March 26, 2011, 07:48:47 PM

Sea Monkeys are sold in far fancier packaging with elaborate living quarters included these days.

Originally they were marketed not only through comic books but in those little canisters dispensed through vending machines. I remember them for a quarter.

8)

Collecting! It's what I do!

Monolith

Rob--- I'm wearing a lead apron from now on.

Remember this comic from the '70's? Every page was an ad.

Wicked Lester

Quote from: Monolith on March 27, 2011, 01:14:26 AM
Rob--- I'm wearing a lead apron from now on.

Remember this comic from the '70's? Every page was an ad.

WOW! I had that. I can't remember how many times I looked through that at all the cool stuff. I think it disappeared around 20 years ago when I sold over half my comics.

Hepcat

Quote from: monsterphile on March 26, 2011, 10:31:41 PM
I have a pair that I believe are vintage.  They belonged to my grandmother's brother. 

Cool! How well do they work? What do you see looking at your fingers?

???
Collecting! It's what I do!

Scatter

Quote from: monsterphile on March 26, 2011, 10:31:41 PM

...and here I am looking at all of you naked...and getting nauseous!

Rob

Rob, that's the first pair I've ever actually SEEN. AWESOME!! Of course, like all growing boys, I wanted a pair. For purely experimental purposes of course.  :D

I never pulled the trigger because a couple of my friends who sent money to buy something from one of those ads in the comic books never received their merchandise. Now I wish I had taken the chance.

Sean

Quote from: Scatter on March 26, 2011, 07:48:47 PM

OK, I know EVERYONE is thinking it, so I'll say it--------------Sea Monkey Mom is HOT!

Sean

Quote from: Radioactive Rod Whitenack on March 26, 2011, 06:36:58 PM
Those freakin' flat toy soldiers appear to have been the bane of our shared existence! I remember drooling over how many tanks and jeeps I was going to get (thinking they would be the same size as my regular army men toys) only to be extremely disappointed when they finally arrived in the mail.

P.S. I love that Moon Monster poster. Someone should do an action figure, three dimensional statue or model kit of that figure. I'm pretty sure nobody owns the rights to that character.

Yes, Rod.  We got a naval edition of those flat servicemen.  Also, the ad mentions waves---------and we thought we would get some cool tidal wave thing.  The were female personnel.  Ewww!

Scatter

Quote from: Sean on March 27, 2011, 02:18:46 PM

OK, I know EVERYONE is thinking it, so I'll say it--------------Sea Monkey Mom is HOT!

You're.........not............right.

Monolith

Wicked Lester--- Here's a scan of a page from the Superhero catalog/comic.
I ordered from it back in the day, I got the Conan coin/ medallion and the Howard the Duck button. I still have both of them. Wish I got the Spiderman coin too, but I didn't.

monsterphile

Quote from: Hepcat on March 27, 2011, 09:59:27 AM

Cool! How well do they work? What do you see looking at your fingers?

The way they "work" is that it creates a double image of whatever you're looking at and they don't overlap perfectly, so it appears as though the section that does overlap, is the bones underneath.  I guess that's why the ad had the people looking "through" their own hand and not cracking safes.

Oh, and Scatter, you might want to have that mole on your thigh looked at by a doctor!

Scatter

Quote from: monsterphile on March 27, 2011, 05:56:46 PM
The way they "work" is that it creates a double image of whatever you're looking at and they don't overlap perfectly, so it appears as though the section that does overlap, is the bones underneath.  I guess that's why the ad had the people looking "through" their own hand and not cracking safes.

Oh, and Scatter, you might want to have that mole on your thigh looked at by a doctor!

I'm not even going to ask why you were looking at my thigh region.

Sean

Quote from: Hepcat on March 23, 2011, 12:51:54 PM
This was the classic muscle builder ad:

;)

I loved this add.  Though it gave me a completely WARPED view at what women wanted in a man.  I learned later that socking another grown man in the jaw while wearing boy shorts on the beach was NOT the way to a girl's heart. :o