Universal Monsters by Illusive Concepts. My Collection & More! [Lots of Pics]

Started by Spinal Remains, October 27, 2022, 07:16:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spinal Remains

So Illusive Concepts was a mask & prop company started by Mario Chiodo that made some really cool stuff all through out the 1990s, they had masks produced in Mexico similar to how TOTs does now. They had some really creative & unique mask sculpts but the paint i think was often lacking. they got the Universal Monsters license from around 1990 through 2000. here I'll post my collection, catalog pics & some other masks to show what the factory paint jobs were like & how they compared to the catalog & promo images. thanks to monstermasks.blogspot.com for most the catalog pics  >:D

here's the oldest ad i could find, it says 1990 & has this crazy Metaluna Mutant costume, i doubt many people bought this $95 mask plus $330 for the suit in 1990:

here's the only image i could find of one in somebody's collection:

they did this weird brownish version at some point:

this ad from 2000 looks like they might of lost the copyright because there using a generic name for it:

1995 catalog pics:

they also did some Frankenstein hands:

1998 catalog pics:

2000 catalog pics:

here's some cool props they made:

actual pics of that "beloved" tombstone prop (not mine) :

Next is my collection, think i have 8 total. one thing about these is they are huge masks, way bigger than anyone's head would ever be lol, i guess at Illusive Concepts they just liked making oversized masks, maybe they thought they were more eye-catching?

first is the Mummy, Wolfman & a Frankenstein that seems to be fairly rare, i haven't seen many of this version:

next is a Frankenstein, Dracula & Phantom that i think were a bit cheaper with painted on hair (well the Phantom has a little hair) for some reason Illusive Concepts liked giving Dracula fangs on the bottom teeth, kinda odd choice... but still a cool mask:

my last ones are 2 of the same Frankenstein mask, but something is very off about the one on the right. First the paint is completely wrong, also its cast in vinyl when all the others are latex & the copyright info on the back of the ear has been removed. So basically i think its a bootleg, not sure why anyone would bother its not a rare or really even sought after mask, its just weird thing to fake :

I also got this Frankenstein wall hanger they made:

here's a cool custom painted one i saw on ebay:

they also did a bride one (not mine) :

Now i will show all the ones i don't have so you can see what the factory paint jobs were like & how they compared to the catalog & promo images. (none of these are mine) :

the Creature:

Bride Of Frankenstein:

Frankenstein - decaying ver:

Frankenstein - a cool custom painted one:

Mummy - cheaper ver & really nice custom ver:

Delux Dracula & cheaper ver:

Wolfman - cheaper no fur ver:

that all, if you have any Illusive Concepts stuff fell free to post it  ededed

Mike Scott

I didn't know one of the Chiodo Bros. started Illusive Concepts!

Always wanted that MM mask and costume. Used to have the Creature mask.
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

aura of foreboding

Thank you.  These were the ones I grew up with, and they mean a lot to me.  I eventually bought the deluxe Frank and Drac, but Frank got mask rot.  I havent checked on Drac in sometime.  He's in his coffin until I can display him.  Thanks for doing this.  The Frank breaking out of the wall was one of my favorite Halloween props ever, and he was displayed in the local Halloween store each year.

Sir Masksalot

'Outstanding post, SpinalRemains. Thanks for all the pics and catalog images.
Masks by Illusive Concepts are so rarely discussed nowadays, sadly because
not many have survived. Even while on display in stores, I'd see them crumbling
away. Was it due to inferior latex? Poor handling? Some destructive element in
the hair glue? The force of gravity on their sheer size and weight? Your copies
look to be fortuitous exceptions.
I've never owned one of their masks but archive pics of them whenever they
come my way, magazine ads too >

Some years ago, a UMA member here had his I.C. Frankenstein customized,
turned out quite stunning. I hope it hasn't gone to pieces on him yet >

I approached the Chiodo brothers at a convention once and asked if the elder Mario
was a relation of theirs. They denied it. His sculpture work in other mediums is on
a par with the finest classical masters. I hope he'd be willing someday to recount
his years with Mask Illusions/Illusive Concepts should anyone ever interview him.

Mike Scott

Quote from: Sir Masksalot on October 27, 2022, 09:36:45 PM
I approached the Chiodo brothers at a convention once and asked if the elder Mario
was a relation of theirs. They denied it.

A sculptor of monsters named Chiodo and he's not related to the brothers? Smith, I would believe!
CREATURE FAN

marsattacks666

In my mask collection I own several Illusive Concept masks.....and unfortunately,  my Metaluna and Bride mask have deteriorated.
    "They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

Spinal Remains

yeah these masks do tent to get hard & crack, there not thinly cast so i think maybe its a lower quality latex thing, the only problem iv had is the edge of the mummy's bib got hard & i just trimmed it off a little. On the tagged ones i have the latex almost feels brand new, so i think it really matters how they were stored like maybe out of the light & in a cool room. I had a few Don Post masks from the 90s that were made in China & had the opposite thing happen were they got all sticky & mushy then basically melted  :o

marsattacks666

Quote from: Spinal Remains on October 30, 2022, 03:21:41 PM
yeah these masks do tent to get hard & crack, there not thinly cast so i think maybe its a lower quality latex thing, the only problem iv had is the edge of the mummy's bib got hard & i just trimmed it off a little. On the tagged ones i have the latex almost feels brand new, so i think it really matters how they were stored like maybe out of the light & in a cool room. I had a few Don Post masks from the 90s that were made in China & had the opposite thing happen were they got all sticky & mushy then basically melted  :o

:(
    "They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

Spinal Remains

thought i should add this cool ad from Playboy October 1990 :

that castle is a crazy design for a mask

Mike Scott

CREATURE FAN

marsattacks666

Dr.Terror

Morning, noon, or night, Anytime . . . . the count may strike. If you're caught you have to linger, Cause Dracula may bite your finger!

aura of foreboding

MonsterBaker666