Vintage monsters and a cash crunch? Your experiences? (if any)

Started by Anton Phibes, April 27, 2011, 03:44:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anton Phibes

Quote from: darkmonkeygod on May 04, 2011, 03:24:57 AM
Is that with a "Best Offer" or are people sending you emails about it? I don't mind the best offer stuff as it can be set to auto reject (or accept) offers or, alternately, dismissed with the click of a button. People emailing and trying to lowball? That's annoying.

No---its not a best offer. I could almost tolerate it if that were the case~~ because the best offer option opens me up for that sort of thing. This is just guys who want things they cannot afford, so they expect me to simply give it to them, and send me messages with degrading dialogue and abrasive "offers" that are caustic to say the least. One lot the other day had me laughing.

I had a small lot of 3 soundtrack cds and 2 vhs tapes I was offering for $6.25 or $6.99 bin. I listed it first three weeks ago. It ended three times, and all three times there were a couple watchers, but no one bought it. I actually got an email from a guy stating: "I have been watching this lot for three weeks now--when are you gonna mark it down?" I told him I wasnt, and he got irritated. The next day one of the other watchers bought the lot. This made him even more irate...go figure. Some of the folks on ebay think you are on there just so they can "help" you out by "taking things off your hands". Seriously. >:(. Thing is, if I wanted to sell my items off at garage sale prices....I could just have a garage sale. But $7 and $4 shipping for 3 soundtrack cds in excellent condition and 2 vhs tapes just doesnt seem like its that bad to me.   :angel:

Anton Phibes

Quote from: Illoman on May 04, 2011, 02:30:56 AM
Anton, I've run into that same kind of behavior on eBay when I'm lowballing my paintings. And then to have some bottom feeder offer me half of that... Very frustrating....

As good as your work is, and the fact that its your own talent they are attempting to lowball you on would be an even worse insult.

Anton Phibes

Quote from: yendor1152 on May 04, 2011, 04:24:39 AM
Well, I'm an autograph collector--with a particular liking for Dark Shadows--and there was a David Selby signed 8 x 10 on eBay for weeks listed at $40.00. Now, being a savvy buyer and collector, I knew Selby's autograph wasn't worth nearly that much. There was a "make an offer" option, so I wrote the Seller and offered $10.00 because I really liked this particular shot of Selby. He accepted the bid, and voila! I now own the photograph!

I've been buying and selling (but mostly buying) on eBay since 1998, and there is definitely a psychology to it. I used to put a Reserve on my stuff but soon learned that a Reserve auction puts potential Buyers off. So, now, I list what I would accept as my lowest bid as my opening bid. Works like a charm every time. I've had very good luck selling items, and they're not always rare. Right now, I have a few Beistle Halloween items up that are selling very well. My own investment in them was minimal.

It's my feeling that Ebay is a reliable resource for buying and selling. You just have to be smart enough to navigate those waters without sinking!

Rod

I collect autographs as well, and I have no problem with people using the "or best offer" option. But the people I get are making outside of ebay offers that are ridiculous at best, and the "offers" are unwanted and laughable.

judd

My friend Amy has a serious collection of Sabrina The Teenage Witth collection.  She has everything.   It's really nice items too.  I know her collection is important to her.  For some reason she's decided to part with it.   She's putting things on ebay. 

I posted an ad in the monsters for sale section.

I know it couldn't have been an easy decision for her to part with her collection.

Haunted hearse

A very painful decision for me was to sell a 1912 Funeral Coach last year.  The Developer who was buying our property decided to try to cut a better deal for them self by trying to force me to take less money for our property.  As much as it pained me to sell the old girl, making the Mortgage payment seemed more important then keeping an antique car that still needed to be put in running shape.  The sale price allowed me to stand up to the developer, and I guess one less thing for me to take to the other side of the country.
What ever happened to my Transylvania Twist?

judd

Amy decided to part with her collection due to the fact it was becoming too stressful for her to maintain.  She was buying items she couldn't really afford.  It just became too much for her to handle.  She feels like she would be better off without it.

It was a mature decision on her part to come to the understanding that merchandise isn't the most important thing in the world.   

frankenstein73

i had a major cash crunch in 2007, fresh out of a very nasty divorce. the courts had my support so high i didnt have enough money to buy food after i paid my monthly bills. so i hit the auctions and goodwills etc... and started buying and reselling so i didnt have to liquidate my own collection to keep afloat.  i went to an auction one morning, it had a small write up in the paper with nothing of real interest. but i decided to go anyway. i showed up and walked around, didnt see anything and was getting ready to leave when i decided i better look in the backyard. as i came around the corner i saw six long tables piled high with toys. as i started looking thru the boxes i realized they all dated form the 50,s and 60's. and investigating further i saw that they were all in unbelievable condition and complete sets. luckily for me due to the bad advertising. i ended up buying almost every toy there. 5 carloads packed full with barely enough room for me to drive! and i only spent $400.00! unfortunately i had to sell off several peices to cover my mountain of debt due to the divorce. and to cover the check i had just written for my massive load. these two sets were included in the stuff i bought. i really wanted to keep them sears mailorder hamilton invaders set with mailer box, ( i paid a whopping $15.00 for) and my sears seaview submarine set.(paid 1
$10.00) they were in such beatiful condition. but i knew i had to sell them because they were a sure thing to help pay for everything else. plus they were a little before my time so i didnt have that close connection with them. i ended up listing them on ebay and got around $875. for the hamilton set and $675. for the sub. i also sold these two  rare flinstone dinosaurs crudely painted but i got around $300. for if i remember correctly.( i bought em for $1). now that i have built up my life again and am somewhat secure, looking back i wish i could have kept these items. they are very rare and look really cool and i know i will never own them again. but if it wasnt for them and other toys i bought and sold during that time in my life. i wouldnt have anything, i sacrificed them to save the things that mattered most to me. my toys i had saved as a child and my vast collection of toys i had built up over the years. and i still have much of the toys left from the auction, full sets of soldiers of the world by marx. weird ohs, nutty mads,marx monsters, emenee mold set with the monsters, and tons more. it was an amazing day!Plus i hope and believe the people that won these items probably had more of a childhood connection with them than me, and i hope they found a wonderful place in  thier collection. if your out there and recognize these sets,please let me know how you like them. and if so id love to see pictures of them on display. so i guess every cloud has a silver lining, if things get bad you might have to sell a few things. but it eventually gets better.
Mirabile dictu,don't you agree?

Hepcat

Quote from: Frankenstein73these two sets were included in the stuff i bought. i really wanted to keep them sears mailorder hamilton invaders set with mailer box, ( i paid a whopping $15.00 for) and my sears seaview submarine set.(paid 1
$10.00) they were in such beatiful condition.

Unbelievable! A dream find even for ten times the price you paid!

:o
Collecting! It's what I do!

frankenstein73

frankenstein73

frankenstein73

Hepcat

Collecting! It's what I do!

frankenstein73