Monster Mask Maniac Featured On Cable Show

Started by Toy Ranch, January 02, 2008, 11:21:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toy Ranch

A fellow monster collector known to myself and several others here at the UMA, Rhonda Underwood, was featured in a cable TV show on the WE (Women's Entertainment) network a while back.  It was, more or less, about obsessive people, and the others on the show had obsessive disorders that caused harm to their lives and were seeking help for them.  Rhonda was the only one who appeared as a healthy and happy, if a bit odd, obsessed person whose hobby was consuming, but not harmful.  If anything, she showed how someone can be obsessed in a positive way, in contradiction to the others who were featured. 

Another mask collector edited Rhonda's parts from the rest and uploaded it to his website to share with everyone.  It's a fun collection, and an interesting look at a collector and collecting from the standpoint of it being an obsession.  A few months ago, Rhonda was selling some of her masks to raise money for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, and a couple of the pieces from her office in the video found their way into my collection.  Rhonda isn't a UMA member (yet ;) ) but she is definitely "one of us".  Rhonda is one of my favorite people in the hobby, and that was before I even saw the video!

http://www.kaijuland.com/kaijuland/rhonda.html

Jlitening

Hi, everyone! 
Thanks for the nice introduction!! 
I'm already having a great visit - lots of interesting threads here.

I'm a passionate mask collector, but also enjoy busts, resin figures, toys, movies, and of course great conversation.   

I hope you enjoy the video if you have a chance to check it out! 

Rhonda

darkmonkeygod

Hello and welcome! Cool collection of many different styles of masks. Brave of you to go on a show about obsessive behavior and congrats in that they didn't edit it to make ya seem crazy.  I envy the shots of your house, great to have so much displayed in so many areas.

Shannon aka monsieurmonkey on UMA Y!

Toy Ranch

Welcome Rhonda, glad you joined us!  A look through the "Show your monster room" thread should let you know you are in good OCD company.  ;D

http://universalmonsterarmy.com/forum/index.php?topic=106.0

fmofmpls

Hello Rhonda! Great to have you among us! That is one mind blowing collection of masks you have there! Birds of the same feather flock together. And it's great having you here among the flock!

Thanks for enlisting in the army! A big salute from the General.
The Famous Monster of Mpls.  Sayer of the law.

poseablemonster

I saw that video, that was great.  I recognized a certain Creature mask in her office, Bobby! 
I was worried when I heard what the show was about - I've purchased from Rhonda and between business and the HMA boards I found her to be a great person.  I'm very glad that the segment did show her to be a happy, and well liked person.  In fact, her friends, family and co-workers really expressed how much she enriches their lives with her "obsession".  My hat is off to her as a super collector and super person. :)

raycastile

That was a great segment.  I wish it had not been presented in the context of OCD.  OCD is a serious problem.  It has nothing to do with collecting.  But Rhonda came off great and her collection is a treat to behold.
Raymond Castile

Jlitening

Thank you so much for the warm welcome and kind comments!  I appreciate being in such great company.  You all are one reason I enjoy this hobby so much! 

As for the show, I held my breath until the dvd came out and I saw they'd maintained the positive spin in my segment.  I wasn't given a heads up (so to speak) the episode would be about OCD until I saw the label on the dvd.  Goodness knows they had plenty of footage that could've been edited to make me come across as completely unhinged (lol).  I consider myself an extremely lucky person to have friends, family and coworkers that allow me the freedom to embrace and share my passion for collecting.    ;D   

roheimiana

Hi Rhonda, it's a pleasure to see you here! As I've already told you, there's one thing about the WE tv episode which disappointed me and I'd like to point it out to UMA members so they can better appreciate your remarkable collection.

For years now, Rhonda has specialized in acquiring female character masks, busts, statues and the like. Indeed, she has more latex ladies than anyone else in the mask community and this makes her collection altogether unique. I'd sorta expected a program on a women's network would have emphasized this fact but, alas, it somehow got lost in the shuffle. So, if you like your monsters female, then just ask Rhonda to show you more of her collection... and, believe me, there's a lot more than you saw in the video.

The Count

No doubt about that Chris!

Rhonda is one of the sweetest people this hobby has - not to mention one of the most enthusiastic monster mask collectors I've ever met.

Bring on the classic femme fatales!
I have waaays of securing your co-operation....

gracebuster

OMG, look who's here!

So nice to see you, Rhonda.

The Phantom Creep

I really enjoyed the video and you are lucky they didn't present you as some kinda kook. I love that you did the main interview with the witch mask on, it shows that you have a great sense of humor! Welcome aboard!!
"Ladies and gentlemen, please do not panic. But  SCREAM!! Scream for your lives!!"

Minion

QuoteOCD is a serious problem.  It has nothing to do with collecting

I'll remember that next time I'm in the basement arranging my masks for the 5th time that day because all the Frankensten Monstrers should be together, but then again maybe the collection should be arranged by sculptor, or company that released them, or year of release, or...
And then I'll check to make sure the door is locked 4 times before I leave.

Morkai

Rhonda you rules!!! I saw your collection a time ago in other sites... Halloween Mask association perhaps?
I need the Mr Barlow's mask!!! And Monster of Piedras Blancas. John Smith's Medusa is incredible!!!

poseablemonster

Quote from: Minion on January 07, 2008, 08:06:25 AM
I'll remember that next time I'm in the basement arranging my masks for the 5th time that day because all the Frankensten Monstrers should be together, but then again maybe the collection should be arranged by sculptor, or company that released them, or year of release, or...
And then I'll check to make sure the door is locked 4 times before I leave.

;D ;D ;D