Last Monster/Horror/Sci-Fi Movie/Show You Watched

Started by Bogey, August 26, 2008, 08:29:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Haunted hearse

What ever happened to my Transylvania Twist?

marsattacks666

"They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

BigShadow

I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity...

House of the Unusual Podcast

Memphremagog

Doomsday(2006)
The Funhouse(1981)
The Devil's Wedding Night(1971)
The Last Man On Earth(1964)
The Unearthly Stranger(1963)
Hollywood Chainsaw Hookers(1987)
DARK SHADOWS:

David Collins: "Dead people dont just get up and walk around.."

Sarah Collins: "Sometimes they do."

Monsters For Sale

Quote from: Memphremagog on March 14, 2020, 03:50:30 PM
Doomsday(2006)
The Funhouse(1981)
The Devil's Wedding Night(1971)
The Last Man On Earth(1964)
The Unearthly Stranger(1963)
Hollywood Chainsaw Hookers(1987)

Glad to see you back and carrying a full work load again.
ADAM

Monsters For Sale

Universal Horrors: Volume 4 - Scream Factory BLU-Ray

Night Monster, 1942 - and House of Horrors, 1946 -  look and sound great and the commentaries are good on both.  Glad to finally have them on BLU-Ray.

The Climax, 1944 - This is a disc I will give away to whoever wants it.  I tried to watch it, but I couldn't stand it for very long.  I turned on the commentary and started again, hoping that hearing about the film would be more fun that just viewing it.  It didn't help.  I don't have any gripe with Scream's presentation of picture or sound, I just find it an unwatchable  movie - for all the others who will disagree, here it is in BLU-Ray for you - enjoy.

Night Key, 1937 - A short-changed former employee of the company that makes the  unbreakable security system that is used by almost all big business has successfully beat the old system.  He plans to blackmail his old boss to finally get fairer treatment.  The mob plans to threaten him into letting them use it for their nightly burglary excursions.

This little crime drama is not a horror story.  It is also not a mystery, since the audience doesn't have any information about what is going on, and why, withheld from them.

It is a nice, straight-forward little story from the 30's that would not get so much negative reaction, were it not for the fact Boris Karloff was the star.  It's not Boris' fault.  He's fine in the role.  It's just that fans feel he is wasted in non-horror roll.  I disagree.  It is an OK little 30's drama.

That aside, this Scream Factory BLU-Ray offers us a beautiful print with crystal clear sound and that would be enough in my book.  But, to top it off we get one of what I think is Tom Weaver's best commentaries.  He goes overboard with facts about the story, movie production and detailed information about the stars.  Really, it is so darn entertaining I may never watch this movie again without the commentary track on.  He managed to make a bland little film incredibly entertaining.

For me, this was the overwhelming star of the set, based on Scream's presentation alone.
ADAM

zombiehorror

geezer butler

Last night:

Friday the 13th (1980)
Friday the 13th II (1981)
Friday the 13th III (1982)

marsattacks666

The Devil Rides Out-1968
The Devil's Rain-1975
    "They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

zombiehorror

Guns Akimbo~Death Race 2000 meets Running Man meets Mad Max, it's a kitchen sink of murder and mayhem; fun stuff

LundyAfterMidnight

"Well friends, that's all there is to life: just a little laugh, a little tear." - Prof. Echo (Lon Chaney, Sr.)

Monsters For Sale

Android, 1982 - A lone scientist on a desert planet is doing android research with his only assistant, a MAX404.  Max is beginning to show symptoms of the problems that caused all Earth android research to be abandoned.  Over time, as they acquire a certain level of knowledge and sophistication, androids begin acting like unmanageable adolescents - with typically teenage interests.  Just then three space travelers ask to be allowed to make an emergency landing.  Unknown to the doctor, and against his expressed policy, Max grants them permission.

Klaus Kinski, Don Keith Opper, Brie Howard, Norbet Weisser and Crofton Hardester.

The obviously limited budget was evidently all spent on Kinski's salary.  Since the film is limited to actors talking, they probably should have spent more money on the other talent.

Owes some atmosphere to Forbidden Planet, I think.  (But Kinski ain't no Dr. Morbius and Opper ain't no Aaltaira.)

I try to see all movies about simulated people, but this one didn't ring my bell.   
ADAM

Memphremagog

Gamera vs Gyaos(1967)
Terror Of the Tongs(1961)
Forbidden Planet(1956)
King Kong(1933) in the cinema today..
DARK SHADOWS:

Monsters For Sale

Quote from: Memphremagog on March 15, 2020, 02:59:50 PM
....   ....  King Kong(1933) in the cinema today..

What was the seating capacity?  How many seats were filled?
ADAM

Memphremagog

Quote from: Monsters For Sale on March 15, 2020, 03:04:28 PM
What was the seating capacity?  How many seats were filled?

About half. but the same could be said of the other films being shown at the time due to virus paranoia..still a pretty good turn out for a film that old and the audience did not mock it at any point, instead they applauded at the end in appreciation. Very gratifying to see. :D
DARK SHADOWS: