Last Monster/Horror/Sci-Fi Movie/Show You Watched

Started by Bogey, August 26, 2008, 08:29:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mord

Very well put. That's the version I have (though I wish I hadn't seen what Lina looked like in the interview).

neonnoodle

The Creeping Terror...because I like lame-arse movies every once in a while!!
Beautiful moving, shifting colors!

See TRANSLUCE: Rainbow Meditation http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iz5aqIhYI_Q

Mord

"The Collector" & "The Collection" - Hint...he doesn't collect monster toys.

HighVoltage

Quote from: geezer butler on January 17, 2015, 01:45:36 AM
That's really cool High Voltage. If you don't mind me asking, is this for HS or college? I'd also like to know what kinds of readings the instructor assigns for the course.
Thanks,
Geezer

Hey Geezer,

Thanks for reaching out. It's a college course at the School of Visual Arts in Manhattan. I major in Stop-Motion Animation and this class is an elective. I'm just 2 weeks into the course, but so far there doesn't seem to be a reading portion of the class. It's a 3 hour class, the first half we go into the history behind the actors, directors and circumstances, and then the second half he runs a film that plays into the lecture.

Last nights movie was The Black Cat. It was a really crisp print and very enjoyable

zombiehorror

Quote from: horrorhunter on January 22, 2015, 08:58:04 PM
Mansion Of The Living Dead (1985)

I can see where a badly chopped up, badly dubbed, version of this might leave the viewer thinking they were watching dreadful BS with lots of nudity, fake carpet cleaning, and bad kissing. But, there's more to it than that.

Here's the version I watched http://cat3movie.us/other-erotica18/1971-mansion-of-the-living-dead-1985-la-mansion-de-los-muertos-vivientes.html, didn't seem like it was chopped up, nor was it dubbed.  It just isn't a well made film.  Still enjoyable, sure but a definite missed opportunity to do something better.

Monsters For Sale

Quote from: HighVoltage on January 23, 2015, 12:23:04 PM
Hey Geezer,

... Last nights movie was The Black Cat. It was a really crisp print and very enjoyable

Which "The Black Cat" was it?  There have been so many films with that title.
ADAM

horrorhunter

Quote from: zombiehorror on January 23, 2015, 12:26:09 PM
Here's the version I watched http://cat3movie.us/other-erotica18/1971-mansion-of-the-living-dead-1985-la-mansion-de-los-muertos-vivientes.html, didn't seem like it was chopped up, nor was it dubbed.  It just isn't a well made film.  Still enjoyable, sure but a definite missed opportunity to do something better.
Franco is the poster child for "like it, or loathe it". He admitted he made too many films for the quality to be maintained which is why he had so many pseudonyms. So, most of his films have vague storylines, mediocre acting and writing, and rushed production. Still, his work appeals to many fans who choose to look past the shortcomings. His fans consider his films "art", and we all know that art is totally subjective.

One thing that can't be disputed is Jess Franco's footprint on Eurohorror and Exploitation. He was very prolific and made an impact on the Horror genre. Some of his earlier work like The Awful Dr. Orlof (1964) and Count Dracula (1970) (w/ Chris Lee) is even considered "good" by most horror fans, many of whom can't struggle past the mindset which limits their appreciation of unusual cinema.
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

zombiehorror

I am by no means discounting Jess Franco's work (I've seen several other films he did that I like.), heck everybody has a stinker now and then but in my opinion this is definitely not one of his "better" works.  From what I've read (in the past few days) even most diehard Franco fans do not consider it to be one of his best efforts.

horrorhunter

Quote from: zombiehorror on January 23, 2015, 02:33:03 PM
From what I've read (in the past few days) even most diehard Franco fans do not consider it to be one of his best efforts.
I don't think it's one of his best either, but I have to admit that I did enjoy it. I found his take on Ossorio's Blind Dead Templars interesting. In the interview he said that he didn't like the Romero version of the living dead and wanted to present a more cerebral version of them. He's obviously paying homage to the Blind Dead with the Monks/Monastery, and Franco's version of them seems to suggest more that of cursed spirits than the more zombie-like Ossorio Dead (which are cursed/powered because they worship Dark Powers). It also probably had a lot to do with very little budget for good makeup, but then Amando de Ossorio did wonders with minuscule budget. I found Mansion atmospheric and very macabre-mood inducing even though it technically isn't of high quality. Franco's work always stirred entertaining conversation and sometimes debate. That's what art does. It makes you think.

I want to make it clear that Mansion Of The Living Dead is an enjoyable oddity, but it falls far short of the work of Romero and Ossorio in my opinion. I absolutely love Amando de Ossorio's Blind Dead series. I rank Tombs Of 1st, Ghost Galleon 2nd, Night Of The Seagulls 3rd, and Return Of The Evil Dead last. All my opinion, of course.
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

HighVoltage

Quote from: Monsters For Sale on January 23, 2015, 12:46:01 PM
Which "The Black Cat" was it?  There have been so many films with that title.

Sorry should have clarified, the Karloff & Lugosi one

Mord

Quote from: HighVoltage on January 23, 2015, 04:30:39 PM
Great choice (my favorite Universal horror film). Just watched "Shadow of the Vampire", clever little film.

geezer butler

Quote from: HighVoltage on January 23, 2015, 04:30:39 PM

Man, that sounds like a great course! Good luck and have fun.

geezer butler

Quote from: Mord on January 22, 2015, 02:31:49 PM
My entire life is based on T&A and lapses in logic (and consciousness).

LMAO Mord! A lot of us are thinking it, but you've got the guts to say it--Cheers!!

Mord

Quote from: geezer butler on January 23, 2015, 07:39:30 PM
LMAO Mord! A lot of us are thinking it, but you've got the guts to say it--Cheers!!
Phew!! Thanks, I'm glad I'm not alone in this.