Soaky Bubble Bath bottles: Questions on them that I need answers opinions on

Started by Anton Phibes, June 12, 2011, 01:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anton Phibes

I just recently picked up a Frankenstein soaky for a song. Here is my question:

1. Is the red screw cap the head sits on supposed to be glued to the inside of the head making it a single piece? Or does a soaky consist of three parts (head, cap and body?).

Now an opinion. I think there may have been little scuffs of paint thats flaked from this figure in its lifetime...that someone has matched the paint to brilliantly and touched up. The reason I say this is because its virtually without flaw, and everyone Ive seen has some paint loss.  You know what they say about things that are too good to be true.

Does doing touch up restoration affect the collectibility/value of these? I am not 100% certain any restoration has been done to him. He just looks immaculate, and thats why I suspect something.

Many thanks from any expert that may be able to help me out here.

frankenstein73

It is a three part construction. The cap is seperate. As far as the paint, it could be original. But the paint on the hands came off quite easily and most are missing at least some paint on the hands. And quite a few iveseen have a scuff on the tip of the nose. If you have a feeling it was painted it probably is. As far as value and collectability. If you want a investment piece buy one mint with the packaging still on it. But be prepared to pay dearly for it. If you like it and wanted it for display just enjoy it the way it.is. my franky is far from perfect. But I enjoy him and am comepletely satisfied. It looks great on my shelf with his universal soakies brethren.
Mirabile dictu,don't you agree?

Anton Phibes

Im pretty happy with it, and I only paid $20 at a flea market for it. 8) I dont care about investment, but I am not keen on touch ups and I know some hate the idea of restoration thinking the piece is officially unacceptable if there is any touch up work. There's almost no paint missing~and thats the only reason I thought "hmmmnnnn...maybe thats why it was only $20." But if it is a touch up, its the best one I have ever seen. There are no uneven areas or shades. I will post pics when my batteries for my camera are done charging.

frankenstein73

I personally like items with personality that show it was used. But if its in too bad of shape it doesn't hurt to restore it. It may have needed a good touch up. It sounds like your quite happy with it. And I say enjoy it! heck for $20 id buy em in any condition all day long!
Mirabile dictu,don't you agree?

Hepcat

It's interesting how many books there are on the subject of bubble bath containers such as this one:

8)
Collecting! It's what I do!

Toy Ranch

If you post a photo, we can probably tell if it's been touched up/repainted or not.

Sometimes the caps stick inside the heads due to hardened old soap, etc.  The brittle thin plastic heads crack and shatter pretty easily, so I would not recommend trying to dislodge it. It's not like that matters a great deal anyway.

Congrats on the pickup! 

dlhenderson

I paid 25 for my Frankie Soakie a few years ago. It has some paint missing on the hands. Almost all of the pics I've seen of this piece have similar missing paint. I've always thought it was interesting that he has eyebrows.  :o

poseablemonster

Bobby is right, DON'T try to force the cap loose.  I did that with a Creature soaky and the whole top broke off.  :'(

Illoman

Quote from: Anton Phibes on June 12, 2011, 01:54:38 AM
Im pretty happy with it, and I only paid $20 at a flea market for it. 8) I dont care about investment, but I am not keen on touch ups and I know some hate the idea of restoration thinking the piece is officially unacceptable if there is any touch up work. There's almost no paint missing~and thats the only reason I thought "hmmmnnnn...maybe thats why it was only $20." But if it is a touch up, its the best one I have ever seen. There are no uneven areas or shades. I will post pics when my batteries for my camera are done charging.

Anton, congrats on a great score! I've only seen one soakie in person in m y life. He was a pretty beat up Frankie in a glass case at a flea market, and was about $100!!

Anton Phibes

Here he is in all his gory....does he look like he's been retouched or just well preserved? The dealer told me the guy he got it from was a big soaky collector and kept them shiny with a little armor all on the bare plastic areas and warm water on a rag for dusting painted portions. He looks pretty for a monster. Opinions...please. This is my first soaky so excuse my ignorance on them.

Illoman

marsattacks666

The Frankenstein soaky is in amaziing condition, wow!  Maybe too perfect?
Unless the previous owner kept Franky under lock and key and away from
the natural elements? What a beautiful item.
    "They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

Scatter

Man, that is simply pristine!! Congrats on a virtual Holy Grail type acquisition.
We're all here because we're not all there.
http://www.distinctivedummies.net/index.html

Hepcat

Wow! Outstanding! Now you need to add to your Soaky collection. One just isn't enough.

;)
Collecting! It's what I do!

marsattacks666

Quote from: Hepcat on June 12, 2011, 11:42:30 PM
Wow! Outstanding! Now you need to add to your Soaky collection. One just isn't enough.

;)

I agree with that, three more to go.
    "They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."