Remembering Thanksgiving TV in the New Jersey New York area 1970's

Started by jollygorilla, November 23, 2017, 02:34:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lunkenstein

Skully, I've been trying to remember the announcer's opening to Double Chiller Theater. I had that memorized for the longest time after it left the airways, but can only remember a bit toward the end now. Something like 'Tales of unknown worlds. Tales of the supernatural. Double Chiller Theater.'  Does that ring a bell and do you possibly remember the rest of it?
Paul

skully

Hey Lunkenstein!  Wow, putting on my thinking cap for this one,  could it have possibly have been something like "spine tingling"??

Lunkenstein

Lol, Skully. I know I'm asking you to remember lines from over 50 years ago, which is asking quite a lot.

YES! I remember 'spine-tingling' being in there. Maybe together we can piece it back together somewhat. I wish I had written it down years ago. Guess I thought I'd always remember it.  :laugh:
Paul

ChristineBCW

(What's REALLY sad is that my kids - and maybe today's 20-somethings and more - will never have these experiences or memories.  I didn't, either, and only started researching these 'hosted TV films' until I occasionally stumbled across references and started digging.  These all seem to have faded away by early '80s and the occasional attempts (like ME-TV's Svengoolie) receive great applause and fawnings for doing something that, well, was common and typical in those first 3 decades of TV.  I do wish our kids and their friends had such great after-school or Saturday experiences - instead, there's Jerry Springer, various 'judges' and psychos prissing around.  What a bringdown.

Lunkenstein

I know what you mean, Christine. The best we can do now is introduce our kids and grandkids to the classic movies and shows through DVDs and streaming.
Paul

skully

So true.  I mentioned in a previous post that my 10 year old grand daughter actually likes to watch Svengoolie, I call her my "monster" buddy.  I introduced my son to the many monster movies, toys and collectibles that I remember when I was young, along with the music too, it's now a part of him,  I often tell them stories of my time,  it's such a shame how times have changed, and in many opinions, not for the better.  Now, don't get me wrong, us kids of the 60's had our share of bad times along with all the "ups and downs" with the world, and, there were many,  but it was still such a fun time growing up.  As I've said before, TV should consist of 24/7 "Me TV".  Yes, there were a bit of violent shows in our time on TV, but, it was portrayed and displayed in a different manner, maybe a bit more "softened".  Yes, in a heart beat, I'd go back to those days, watching Jackie Gleason, Hollywood Palace, Jack Parr, Ozzie and Harriet, Father knows best, Wagon Train, etc.  These days will never ever return, we can only try to describe them, as they were, to a generation that, in my opinion, really missed out.

bromstaker

Lots of great memories! I was born and raised in Connecticut, and am 57 so I well remember those shows! Things changed rapidly with the advent of cable in the early 80's.   

LugosiFan25

I wish I were old enough to have experienced all of these great times. I do my best to try to live vicariously through all of you and by reading various monster books and mags. I try to keep Me-TV and my DVDs/Blus/VHS running as much as possible in my house (until my wife can't stand any more). But we just recently had our first child and I'm ready to start the next generation of Monster Kids!
"....flying saucers? You mean the kind from up there?"

skully

LugosiFan25,  thank you for that kind of appreciation.  TV, with all the shows, programs and movies, and, radio, with all that great music, were a big part of our lives.  Just think how cool it was to see something like "The Outer Limits" in 1963, my mom (who liked science fiction) and me would sit "glued" to the floor watching this, and then, going out to buy the latest issue of Famous Monsters, and seeing that great creature from the series on the cover (I believe issue#26)!!!   Monsters were a big part of our lives back then. I remember seeing Gorgo at the Reading drive-in back in 1961, drive-ins were always a lot of fun, our family went often. All of those great TV shows, like The Munsters, Addams Family, Alfred Hitchcock, The Twilight Zone, along with Batman, The Green Hornet, Time Tunnel, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, I even remember Roland.  Family shows like Mitch Miller, Ed Sullivan, Bewitched, Gomer Pyle, Gilligans Island, Hogans Heroes, Honey West, The Wild wild West, Man from Uncle, Get Smart, damn, I could just keep on going with this-------------------------------

Sean

Quote from: skully on November 26, 2017, 05:42:09 AM
Also, Lunkenstein, all those great local kid shows, such as "Wee Willie Webber", Pipertown, Pixanne, Sally Star, Gene London, the puppet show with "Sir guidey guy", Lorenzo, Pete's gang, and old standbys such as Romper Room, Captain Kangaroo, The magical land of Alacazam", and I'm sure a bunch that I missed.

Wonderama
Magic Garden

skully

Was there ever a kids show called "Pipertown", seems like I remember a show about a hot air balloon going to this place, while the people inside the balloon were singing ??

Sean

Quote from: skully on December 04, 2017, 06:48:21 PM
Was there ever a kids show called "Pipertown", seems like I remember a show about a hot air balloon going to this place, while the people inside the balloon were singing ??

Can't say I've heard of that one.

skully

Darn, I know I remember this show, they would sing, "to Pipertown, to pipertown, hurray hurra we're almost there".  Ok, how about "Percy Platypuss" on WGAL TV channel 8.

Lunkenstein

I remember moving the antenna to try and get in WGAL Channel 8 to see the George Reeves' SUPERMAN.  ;D
Paul

skully

Lunkenstein, I remember trying to do this too,  to watch different shows,  it's actually hard to imagine that we just had to put up with this back in the day because we had to do this, those of us who actually had a rotating antenna, and actually getting up and turning the channel changer by hand!!!