Horror Movie Hosts

Started by Tick-Tock, July 01, 2014, 08:41:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tick-Tock

Here is a place to talk about your favorite horror movie hosts.  Which ones did you grow up with?  Who do you watch now?

For my part, I watch Svengoolie and have without fail for several years thanks to the fact that he is nationally syndicated.

BrotherD

I didn't grow up with a horror host, but, man, I wish I had! I remember catching an episode or two of Elvira's program when I was a kid, but that was when I was visiting my grandparents in a different state, so it's not like I had anyone to watch locally (that I was aware of).

However, I've definitely made up for lost time, and I thank the internet for that. Over the years, I've been devouring and watching whatever I can get my hands on. Dr. Gangrene. Midnite Mausoleum (RIP). Count Gore De Vol. Zacherley. Bob Wilkins. All the different shows and hosts on the Kreepy Kastle (I spend a LOT of time at http://kreepykastle.com/ . . . !) I watch The Weirdness Really Bad Movie and Mr. Lobo on my Roku. And, of course I have my DVR set to record Svengoolie every Saturday night!

I suppose there are worse addictions to have!
I podcast, therefore I am . . .
Monster Kid Radio - http://www.monsterkidradio.net
1951 Down Place - http://www.1951downplace.com

horrorhunter

In the '60s when I was a wee Monsterbrat I watched Bestoink Dooley when we lived in Athens, Ga. In the '70s I watched Dr. Shock and Dingbat out of Chattanooga, Tn. In the '80s I watched Elvira's Movie Macabre when it was in syndication. And, currently, I spend far too much time watching Kreepy Kastle on these here interwebs. I especially enjoy Atomic Age Cinema with Baron Mardi, Dr. Calamari, and those other foul-mouthed reprobates.  :laugh:

Oh yeah, and I loved the hell outta MST3K when it originally ran on The Comedy Channel/Comedy Central.
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

Flower

My favourite and earliest Cool Ghoul was Zacherle  ...

That's Brooklyn Nostalgia: 'Zacherley At Large-2'

I'm also a long time fan of Morgus the Magnificent

Morgus The Magnificent
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" ...  Albert Schweitzer

Kidagain

Growing up in New York City we only had Zacherley, but with Zach we didn't need anyone else.

RedKing

Sven is my favorite horror host. I caught a couple of his shows in the  early 80s and he made a lasting impression on me. As a teen in the 80s I watched Commander USA and Elvira and loved Zacherley's Horrible Horror VHS tape. In recent years I have become very fond of newer hosts Mr Lobo, Marlena Midnight, Penny Dreadful and WolfMan Mac.
Crazy am I? We'll see if I'm crazy or not!

horrorhunter

Quote from: RedKing on July 01, 2014, 11:33:24 PM
Sven is my favorite horror host. I caught a couple of his shows in the  early 80s and he made a lasting impression on me. As a teen in the 80s I watched Commander USA and Elvira and loved Zacherley's Horrible Horror VHS tape. In recent years I have become very fond of newer hosts Mr Lobo, Marlena Midnight, Penny Dreadful and WolfMan Mac.
RK, you're a dude after my own heart. I love all of those hosts as well. I have seasons 2-8 of Penny Dreadful's Shilling Shockers on DVD (season 1 has been OOP forever but you can buy those episodes singly), and I'm a fan club member being a properly loyal Dreary One. So sorry to hear about Magoo's passing. I also love Zach's Horrible Horror and wore out my VHS copy long ago. I was stoked when it was rereleased on DVD with all that extra content. Anyone who likes Zacherley needs this DVD.

ALWAYS MONSTERING...

Tick-Tock

Quote from: BrotherD on July 01, 2014, 05:37:24 PM
I didn't grow up with a horror host, but, man, I wish I had! I remember catching an episode or two of Elvira's program when I was a kid, but that was when I was visiting my grandparents in a different state, so it's not like I had anyone to watch locally (that I was aware of).

However, I've definitely made up for lost time, and I thank the internet for that. Over the years, I've been devouring and watching whatever I can get my hands on. Dr. Gangrene. Midnite Mausoleum (RIP). Count Gore De Vol. Zacherley. Bob Wilkins. All the different shows and hosts on the Kreepy Kastle (I spend a LOT of time at http://kreepykastle.com/ . . . !) I watch The Weirdness Really Bad Movie and Mr. Lobo on my Roku. And, of course I have my DVR set to record Svengoolie every Saturday night!

I suppose there are worse addictions to have!
Thank you so much for that URL!

Haunted hearse

The first host I ever had a chance to see was "Seymour" in the LA market, the next one I really enjoyed was Elvira.  Of those that are current, I like Penny Dreadful and Sven Goolie alot.
What ever happened to my Transylvania Twist?

Mord

Quote from: Haunted hearse on July 02, 2014, 03:44:32 AM
The first host I ever had a chance to see was "Seymour" in the LA market, the next one I really enjoyed was Elvira.  Of those that are current, I like Penny Dreadful and Sven Goolie alot.
Man, I was just about to mention Seymour. I'm glad I'm not the only one in L.A. that remembers him. He made a personal appearance at a theater 2 blocks from our house in South Gate (the Allen Theater). I think it was a Hammer or Amicus film or two (or maybe even "Die, Monster, Die"). Fond memories! All the kids spread a rumor that he had his cheekbones surgically removed to look like John Carradine's mutant brother.

geezer butler

Great topic. That's how I became a monster kid. I was prob 4,5,6 yrs old watching "Sir Graves Ghastly."  He would show a lot of the classic Universal monster movies. My parents were rather young and would let me stay up and watch the "Ghoul" too.  Maybe they shouldn't have (lol) but that was my exposure to late 50s and 1960s horror/sci-fi flicks.

I was already obsessed with my dad's alice cooper, black sabbath and kiss records, so Sir Graves Ghastly and the Ghoul made perfect sense to me.

Anyhow, in some ways I feel bad for today's kids. Without gnarly album covers and local horror hosts, not sure if I would have discovered the awesomeness of monster movies/culture.

Mord

Quote from: geezer butler on July 02, 2014, 04:54:32 AM

I was already obsessed with my dad's alice cooper, black sabbath and kiss records, so Sir Graves Ghastly and the Ghoul made perfect sense to me.

Anyhow, in some ways I feel bad for today's kids. Without gnarly album covers and local horror hosts, not sure if I would have discovered the awesomeness of monster movies/culture.
Great point about the rock connection with horror. Who else but Alice Cooper could do a song like "The Ballad of Dwight Frye"? Modern horror has had a very strong link with rock, punk & metal. Hip hop songs just don't seem to fit well in horror movies. That's just a jaded, old rocker's opinion, of course.

horrorhunter

Quote from: Mord on July 02, 2014, 06:04:25 AM
Great point about the rock connection with horror. Who else but Alice Cooper could do a song like "The Ballad of Dwight Frye"? Modern horror has had a very strong link with rock, punk & metal. Hip hop songs just don't seem to fit well in horror movies. That's just a jaded, old rocker's opinion, of course.
Alice is freakin' awesome. Even when he went partly metal he still did tunes like Teenage Frankenstein. I love his early work best. I think Love It To Death is just about the best album ever created.

I love Seymour, too. He may have been on the other side of the country but I got to keep up with his antics in the pages of the late, great, Monster Times newspaper.
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

Mord

Quote from: horrorhunter on July 02, 2014, 06:56:17 PM
Alice is freakin' awesome. Even when he went partly metal he still did tunes like Teenage Frankenstein. I love his early work best. I think Love It To Death is just about the best album ever created.

I love Seymour, too. He may have been on the other side of the country but I got to keep up with his antics in the pages of the late, great, Monster Times newspaper.
Amazing! "Love it to Death" was always my favorite Alice album, too. I think you may be the brother mom gave up for adoption.

horrorhunter

Quote from: Mord on July 02, 2014, 08:01:45 PM
Amazing! "Love it to Death" was always my favorite Alice album, too. I think you may be the brother mom gave up for adoption.
I think we may both be spawn that came from the same alien abduction horndog. What a couple o' weirdos.  :laugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZJpKYfZZpc&feature=player_detailpage
ALWAYS MONSTERING...