Porcelian Dracula doll/figure

Started by Laminatrap, March 30, 2008, 03:52:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laminatrap

Hello all, Looking to establish a value of an Item I have. Its a Porcelain Dracula from the Universal City Studios Classic Monster Collection. He has a strong resemblance to Bela Lugosi about 20 inches tall with Porcelain head and hands and feet. Body is soft/stuffed. Very ornate clothing with zippers, shoe laces, belt, bow tie, cape ect. These were made in 1984 by the Rene D. Lyon company. Limited Internet search shows there was also a Frankenstein and possibly a Ware Wolf.
Anyone know the value of this item?

raycastile

This is a very undervalued toy.  Here is a completed listing on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/DRACULA-Bela-Lugosi-Universal-monster-porcelain-doll_W0QQitemZ180224740773QQihZ008QQcategoryZ19194QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It ended with no bids.  There was a Buy it Now of $150 and an opening minimum bid of $95.

I've seen boxed examples sell for less than $75.  Once in a while you will see one hit $200 or more, but that is rare.

I think it SHOULD be a $250 doll, easily.  But collectors have not yet discovered this piece, so it does not command a high price.
Raymond Castile

Dr.Terror

I agree with Ray on this guy, a very underrated Monster doll. And one of the very few pre sideshow Lugosi figures.

Plus he's just plain cool, anybody got a Frank for sale? ;D
Morning, noon, or night, Anytime . . . . the count may strike. If you're caught you have to linger, Cause Dracula may bite your finger!

raycastile

He's not for sale, but I can't resist showing off my Frankie:

Raymond Castile

Dr.Terror

Morning, noon, or night, Anytime . . . . the count may strike. If you're caught you have to linger, Cause Dracula may bite your finger!

Toy Ranch

The Dracula is much easier to find than the Frankenstein.  These were marketed to doll collectors and many more women embrace the whole Dracula/vampire thing that Frankenstein, which I'm guessing is the reason, but there may be others.  They are not marked so it makes IDing them hard if you don't know what they are, so they are often listed poorly on eBay and Rene D Lyon isn't part of the title or description.  Since they were marketed to doll collectors, they frequently are listed in the Doll and Bear section of eBay and show up at doll shows, etc.  I have a boxed Frankie and Dracula, but they are normally found without the boxes.  This is unusual as they are "collector dolls" and came out in the 80's when most collectors had started retaining boxes.  As you can see from  Raymond's photo, the box is not an unusual size or shape, and is easy to store.  Based on this I have formed the opinion that they may have not all been sold with boxes.  Besides the boxed set I have in my collection, I have had 3 other loose Draculas over the years, and the magic sale price has been constant at $125.  That's not to say that they can't be found for less, but a nice loose one will sell for $125 in a reasonable amount of time.  I've asked for more before, agreeing with Raymond that it's a vastly undervalued piece...  I can see a boxed one hitting $200 though, and Frankie really doesn't pop up very often at all.  I can't think of the last time I saw one (although I don't look for them real  hard).  A correctly listed Frankenstein in the box might fetch a hefty price. 

There is no Wolf Man, just the Dracula and Frankenstein.

poseablemonster

This is another one of those items that I've been meaning to add to my collection for years, but for whatever reason I just haven't.  They are nice looking, good quality and they are affordable, too. 

gracebuster

Love em'!

Rememeber seeing them in a Universal executive's office in the 80s.

I need The Frank, too.

raycastile

I think I bought my Frank pre-ebay, maybe through Toy Shop.  I'm pretty sure it came from a little old lady who sold dolls, but my memory could be wrong.  This lady told me she used to have a Wolf Man.  Maybe she was just confused or misremembering things.  Or maybe there really was a Wolf Man.  Just because it never turns up doesn't mean it doesn't exist.  How often does the Frank turn up?  The Frank I own is the only one I have ever encountered for sale.   Like Bobby, I haven't really been looking for them.  But it seems like I should have seen a couple more Franks over the years.  But no.  Dracula turns up frequently, but Frank never surfaces.
Raymond Castile

kklloo

I never knew this existed. One of the great reasons I love this site. What great pieces and something I will look for to add to my collection. Does anyone have a pic of the Dracula piece?

Toy Ranch

I usually save all the eBay auctions I win for reference purposes.  Here's the Lyon listing from September '05

poseablemonster

raycastile

That was a knock-out deal.  And it just goes to show you how undervalued these toys are.  No, the listing did not have "Rene D. Lyon" in the title, but then how many monster collectors are searching under "Rene D. Lyon?"  Anyone?  It's not on the monster collecting radar screen.

So we have two confirmed sales of the Frank doll – one from the late 90s and another from 2005.  Who else owns this doll?  When did you get yours?
Raymond Castile

Monster Bob

I advertised  a pair of these MIB (with picture) in Toy Shop in the '90s, but no one was interested at the time, for as I remember, for $50 or $75 each. Eventually, I said phooey, I'll keep 'em, because I like 'em!  The guy I got them from said he bought them at Universal Studios, but I don't know.

If anyone has an interesting trade for a 1960s monster toy or something else interesting and vintage, PM me!  ;)

ramsey37

Ok, you guys are killing me. Now I'm finding myself looking for that Frankenstein doll. Curse you, Raymond Castile! ;)
George
Where apathy is master, all men are slaves.