Last Monster/Horror/Sci-Fi Movie/Show You Watched

Started by Bogey, August 26, 2008, 08:29:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Scott

CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

marsattacks666

"They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

Memphremagog

Quote from: Mike Scott on April 21, 2019, 08:22:10 PM
I can't find that one, anywhere. Do you have any details?

Yes, wrong date! It should have read (1933), instead. :P
DARK SHADOWS:

David Collins: "Dead people dont just get up and walk around.."

Sarah Collins: "Sometimes they do."

LugosiFan25

The Night Stalker (1972)
The Night Strangler (1973)
The Killer Shrews (1959)
The Brain that Wouldn't Die (1962)
King of the Zombies (1941)
The Abominable Dr. Phibes (1971)
The Lost World (1925)
The Ghost of Slumber Mountain (1918)
Bluebeard (1944)
Lady Frankenstein (1971)
The Corpse Vanishes (1942)
Doomed to Die (1940)
City Beneath the Sea (1953)
Frankenstein's Daughter (1958)
Indestructible Man (1956)
Valley of the Dragons (1961) on Svengoolie
House on Haunted Hill (1959)
"....flying saucers? You mean the kind from up there?"

Monsters For Sale

The Land Unknown, 1957 - Scientists investigating reports of ice-free areas at the south pole, are forced to land in an unknown (figures) land of plants and animals.  They want to leave.

Jock Mahoney, Shirley Patterson, Phil Harvey, Henry Brandon and Douglas Kennedy.

Began life as a much more ambitious project.  When it lost studio support, they pulled the proposed color and much of the needed funding.  That caused Director Jack Arnold to bail and Virgil Vogel to take the helm.

Strange how the heat and moisture causes the female's clothing to disintegrate, but leaves the males' clothing mostly untouched - read my mind, I guess. 

The new Scream Factory Blu-Ray looks and sounds good.  More importantly, the Tom Weaver Commentary gave me a lot of new understanding about what this movie started life as.  (They had even talked about getting a big name star [Cary Grant?] for the lead role.)  I think I appreciate this movie a lot more than I did before.
ADAM

Monsters For Sale

The Strange Door, 1951 - French nobleman slips into a castle for shelter only to discover the massive front door has no handle on the inside, so no way to get back outside.  Then things get very muddled and confusing - for him and us.

Charles Laughton, Richard Wyler, Sally Forrest and Boris Karloff.

This tale of unrequited love, sibling betrayal, death in childbirth, double decade-long grudges and really convoluted plots of retribution is one of the most dense movies I have ever seen.  Not just in plot, but in busy sets, amazing period costumes, impressively mounted sets, a huge extra cast and some of the most outlandishly over-the-top acting you will likely see.

Scream Factory's Blu-Ray looks and sounds great.  The Tom Weaver Commentary is just as dense as the movie itself.  I can't imagine packing any additional information into either. 

Laughton's foppish, eye-rolling, tongue-lolling Sire does everything but break into "It's Raining Men".  (He looks like he is having a ball.)  How in the world he got this performance past 1951 studio executives and sensors is beyond me.  Shame on the studio for not filming Strange Door in color - all those wonderful sets and lavish costumes are wasted in black & white.  And shame on the studio for wasting Karloff's talent on such a small role.

I thought I had seen this movie, the title was so familiar.  Turns out I had not seen it before.  Thanks to a kind gift I got to experience a new film starring two of my favorite actors for the first time.

ADAM

marsattacks666

"They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

marsattacks666

Mord

Vampyres (1974) -
Two sexy, lesbian vampires...come on, do I really need to say anything else? Great film!

marsattacks666

Mord

Byzantium (2012) -
Film about the exploits of a vampire mom and her teenage daughter (you know how pesky teenage vampires are). Very original. Directed by Neil Jordan ("The Crying Game"). Highly recommended.

Mike Scott

Quote from: Mord on April 25, 2019, 02:13:50 PM
Film about the exploits of a vampire mom and her teenage daughter

So, how do vampires get kids, anyway? The normal way? Do they come out vampires, or do you have to bite them? Inquiring minds want to know!
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

marsattacks666

Lemora: A Child's Tale of the Supernatural-1973
Dracula's Daughter-1935

Mord

Quote from: Mike Scott on April 25, 2019, 03:29:29 PM
So, how do vampires get kids, anyway? The normal way?
When Herman and Lily tried that, they wound up with a werewolf.