Started by Bogey, August 26, 2008, 08:29:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

geezer butler

BK double-feature:

The Raven (1963)

Black Sabbath (1963)

*both blue-rays

Mord

The Purge Anarchy - Not a great film, but very entertaining.

Gory Glenn

Basket Case
Basket Case 2
Basket Case 3
(UK Blu Ray Trilogy set)

Nosferatu79

Memphremagog

Return Of the Living Dead(1984)
Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2(1986)
The Abominable Snowman(1957)
Quatermass II(1957)
Frankenstein Meets the Space Monster(1965)
Curse Of the Voodoo(1965)
Deadly Blessing(1981)
DARK SHADOWS:

David Collins: "Dead people dont just get up and walk around.."

Sarah Collins: "Sometimes they do."

Wicked Lester

Count Yorga. Haven't seen this in probably 20 years,now I know why. 1.5/5
Return of Count Yorga. This one was better but not great. I might actually watch it again someday. 2.5/5

Mord

"Wyrmwood, Road of the Dead" - So so Aussie zombie flick. Nothing new, really.

geezer butler

The Man from Planet X (1951)

The Mad Magician (1954)

13 Ghosts (1960)

geezer butler

btw: I recorded "Da Sweet blood of Jesus" the other night. Anyone see this? Any good? I read an article on it in Rue Morgue I think. Seems like it's a horror film.

Mord

"Burying the Ex" - Joe Dante's tepid horror rom-com about not being able to get rid of a pesky, annoying ex-girlfriend (been there, done that). Not a great movie, but it had a lot of cool horror lore behind it. The couple made out in Hollywood Cemetery with "Night of the Living Dead" playing in the background, the girl had created a Fruit Brute shake, the guy worked in a Halloween shop with a lot of cool crap, Hammer movies were always playing on their TV sets...you get the picture.

Mord

"Death Valley" - Cool, 1982 thriller with Stephen McHattie as the heavy. Woman, son, & new boyfriend go on vacation to Death Valley (hence the title), and stumble into multiple murders in a parked RV. Only drawback is the annoying kid. I think most UMAers know how I feel about kids by now. Though the kid is nowhere as grating as the "Babadook" one.

Gory Glenn

The Curse of Frankenstein.

This is my #4 favorite Frankenstein movie of all time and sometimes I even feel it could be #3. It's also my #1 favorite Hammer film. It occurred to me while watching that the primary difference between this film and the Universal ones is Dr. Frankenstein himself. Colin Clive's doctor only used body parts of the already deceased (at least to his knowledge), and didn't profess to harm anyone to execute his experiments. But Peter Cushing's doctor not only used parts of the already deceased, he also had no problem killing just about anyone to get the materials he needed. The way he took out the professor in his home to obtain his brain was pure evil. He even went as far as to threaten to harm his fiancee Elizabeth to get what he needed. The word "despicable" kept coming to mind as I watched Cushing's performance. Fantastic! Sometimes I think "Evil of Frankenstein" would have been the more appropriate title for this film.

Another aspect of this film for me was Christopher Lee's portrayal of the monster. There's a scene where an old blind man is sitting in the woods when the monster arrives. The exchange between these two, and especially the reaction from the monster to the old man's fear is interesting to watch. At first the monster has no ill intention, but as the old man's fear and panic increases so does the monster attitude toward him when finally the man falls to the ground and starts screaming. At this point the monster becomes agitated and we can only assume the monster kills him as the last shot shows the monster reaching for him as the screen fades to black. Lee's slow build of aggression was like an animal. A great overlooked performance in this film IMO. Showing fear was the old man's downfall. If he had spoke to the monster in a calm fashion he would have probably lived through the incident.

The ending of this film is also great. The way his friend Paul denied any knowledge to collaborate Victor's story in the final jail scene is powerful and satisfying all at the same time. As the credits role you see the guillotine blade rise. I could have swore that the blade fell at the very end but that was just my memory filling in the blanks I guess.  Just a great movie from beginning to end. A classic!

Mord

Yes, Cushing's Victor Frankenstein was not a nice guy. I like this film for the same reasons you stated, Glenn. If you want to see the pure evil side of Dr. Frankenstein, check out Hammer's "Frankenstein Must be Destroyed". Not as classic as "Curse", but features an even more sinister side of Cushing's Victor.

Gory Glenn

Quote from: Mord on August 25, 2015, 02:40:23 PM
Yes, Cushing's Victor Frankenstein was not a nice guy. I like this film for the same reasons you stated, Glenn. If you want to see the pure evil side of Dr. Frankenstein, check out Hammer's "Frankenstein Must be Destroyed". Not as classic as "Curse", but features an even more sinister side of Cushing's Victor.

Many people consider "Frankenstein Must be Destroyed" the best of the sequels. I haven't seen it in years but a Blu Ray version is due out 10/1/15 that is cheaper than the DVD (go figure). Will be picking that up when it's released.

Phantom Stranger

"House Of Dracula" (1945)
-John Carradine, Lon Chaney Jr, Glen Strange

Plot: IMDB
Dracula arrives at Dr. Edelman's office asking for a cure to his vampirism. However, this is a ruse by Dracula to get near Dr. Edelman's beautiful female assistant and turn her into a vampire. Meanwhile, a sincere Lawrence Talbot, AKA the Wolfman, arrives seeking a cure for his lycanthropy. When Dr. Edelman's first attempt fails, Talbot tries to commit suicide by jumping off a cliff, but instead finds a network of underground caves where Frankensteins Monster is in stasis. Chaos ensues as the three monsters fight for dominance of each other.

Phantom's Review: The second of Universal's Monster Mash Up's. Entertaining and atmospheric, filled with all the great monster movie cliches, angry villagers with torches, mad scientists in their laboratory, Dracula seducing a beautiful woman and the Wolfman acting tortured and cursed
This film has it all. Total enjoyment for classic monster fans

(Join us..on Facebook: Phantom Stranger's House Of Mystery And Suspense)