Last Monster/Horror/Sci-Fi Movie/Show You Watched

Started by Bogey, August 26, 2008, 08:29:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mord

Quote from: zombiehorror on February 09, 2015, 09:17:35 PM

I did myself the favor and was disappointed, it was a sloppy found footage mess in my opinion.  I hope that better more commendable Halloween influenced films are released in the future so we don't have to settle for drivel like this for our October viewing.
Wrong...again. I'll take this over most over-produced Hollywood Halloween drivel. Raw & creepy (no 3-D though, thank God).

jimm

Konga (1961) Don't monkey with Mother Nature!

Son of Frankenstein (1939) Bela swipes the show! As good as the first two IMO

The Blood Beast Terror (1968)

neonnoodle

Beautiful moving, shifting colors!

See TRANSLUCE: Rainbow Meditation http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iz5aqIhYI_Q

marsattacks666

"They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

zombiehorror

Quote from: Mord on February 09, 2015, 09:52:35 PM
Wrong...again. I'll take this over most over-produced Hollywood Halloween drivel. Raw & creepy (no 3-D though, thank God).

Well, it's an opinion so it can't really be right or wrong, just differing.  What "Hollywood Halloween drivel" is there to even choose from?  If we are talking Halloween (1978), Halloween II, Halloween III, Night of the Demons (1988) Trick 'r' Treat or hell even Hocus Pocus (or, as I mentioned the Travel Channel's haunt shows) then I'll take any of them over this nonsensical mess of a found footage film.  Don't get me wrong there were some "creepy" moments scattered throughout The House October Built but that was about it.  If the filmmakers couldn't make the events in the movie  plausible then they shouldn't have filmed it found footage....although I'm betting that 3D would have helped this one.  >:

Mord

Quote from: zombiehorror on February 10, 2015, 10:57:14 PM
Well, it's an opinion so it can't really be right or wrong, just differing.  What "Hollywood Halloween drivel" is there to even choose from?  If we are talking Halloween (1978), Halloween II, Halloween III, Night of the Demons (1988) Trick 'r' Treat or hell even Hocus Pocus (or, as I mentioned the Travel Channel's haunt shows) then I'll take any of them over this nonsensical mess of a found footage film.  Don't get me wrong there were some "creepy" moments scattered throughout The House October Built but that was about it.  If the filmmakers couldn't make the events in the movie  plausible then they shouldn't have filmed it found footage....although I'm betting that 3D would have helped this one.  >:
Hocus Pocus!?!?! Now I see where your head is at. I know this won't be popular, but I'd even chose this over "Trick or Treat" (and I liked that film). It just felt slimier, creepier, & more realistic. Not to mention that cool '70s Wolfman mask in that vintage commercial in the beginning. Watch it 3 or 4 more times and you'll come around. I've had it on "repeat" for the last three days...terrific!! BTW, if "plausibility" were a consideration, would ANY of the films you mention even count. You find "Halloween III" & "Trick or Treat" plausible? Entertaining, yes...plausible, no. The events in "October" are more likely to happen than anything in those two films (as much as I love both).

neonnoodle

Now, this is just me chiming in here.  70-80 percent of the R-rated Halloween-themed "horror movies" that seem really popular, I don't like, because for some odd reason, I find the mean-spirited, gory stuff doesn't really remind me of Halloween as I think of it.  (I'm not referring to the "Halloween" films or their sequels, though--those are in another category, as they "take place during" Halloween and are not really "Halloween-themed" films.  At least I think of them that way.)

Someone mentioned "Hocus Pocus," and actually, by golly, I like that film, even despite its sometimes excessive cuteness (it's a Disney film so it's gotta have that stuff!).  It is a "themed" movie, it's well-produced and it looks good, and underneath all the funny jokes, it contains a lot of really dark story elements.  Underneath all the ha-ha's, it's a horror film, albeit a satitized, non-gory one.  So yeah, I would call it one of my favorite Halloween-themed movies, definitely, and I think it gets dismissed a lot by movie fans because it has a rep of being PG-nice-friendly.  It's one of those underrated gems that deserves a look, maybe...

Mord

Quote from: neonnoodle on February 11, 2015, 02:22:05 AM
Now, this is just me chiming in here.  70-80 percent of the R-rated Halloween-themed "horror movies" that seem really popular, I don't like, because for some odd reason, I find the mean-spirited, gory stuff doesn't really remind me of Halloween as I think of it.  (I'm not referring to the "Halloween" films or their sequels, though--those are in another category, as they "take place during" Halloween and are not really "Halloween-themed" films.  At least I think of them that way.)

Someone mentioned "Hocus Pocus," and actually, by golly, I like that film, even despite its sometimes excessive cuteness (it's a Disney film so it's gotta have that stuff!).  It is a "themed" movie, it's well-produced and it looks good, and underneath all the funny jokes, it contains a lot of really dark story elements.  Underneath all the ha-ha's, it's a horror film, albeit a satitized, non-gory one.  So yeah, I would call it one of my favorite Halloween-themed movies, definitely, and I think it gets dismissed a lot by movie fans because it has a rep of being PG-nice-friendly.  It's one of those underrated gems that deserves a look, maybe...
"The Houses October Built" actually takes place on the days leading up to Halloween & Halloween itself. It concerns a young film crew trying to document the rise of "Extreme" haunted house attractions in unregulated parts of the countryside. They blend actual footage of real haunted house attractions & interviews with the shadier employees along with this main story about tracking down a dangerous, transient haunted house crew. There are very few "ha has" while the story & action are kept pretty grim & true to real horror. I hit me in the same way the Carpenter Halloween film did. Though I have to admit, I'm not one for lightweight horror comedy. The scares come first in my book.

zombiehorror

Quote from: Mord on February 11, 2015, 12:32:47 AM
....if "plausibility" were a consideration, would ANY of the films you mention even count. You find "Halloween III" & "Trick or Treat" plausible? Entertaining, yes...plausible, no. The events in "October" are more likely to happen than anything in those two films (as much as I love both).

Those films don't need plausibility, the aren't found footage.  The sole purpose of found footage is to take horror, whether it be supernatural or "real" and make you believe the footage you are seeing happened in real life.  Try watching The Houses October Built a few more times and you'll see how ridiculous the plausibility of it is.  A group of crazy haunt actors all coming together, searching out these few individuals, seemingly appearing from out of nowhere, the group themselves continuing on even after witnessing some of the events that transpire, etc., etc., etc.  Ridiculous.  If this were at least set in one city and the group somehow isolated t may work but otherwise it's just nonsense.

I knew you would point out Hocus Pocus which by all standards is a better film than Houses October Built and definitely a better Halloween themed film.  It could even work if it was filmed found footage style, unlike House October Built....there's also probably just as much blood and guts in it.

neonnoodle

This "Houses October Built" does sound a little intriguing...maybe I'll Amazon that thing...

marsattacks666

"They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

Mord

Quote from: zombiehorror on February 11, 2015, 07:33:11 AM
Those films don't need plausibility, the aren't found footage.  The sole purpose of found footage is to take horror, whether it be supernatural or "real" and make you believe the footage you are seeing happened in real life.  Try watching The Houses October Built a few more times and you'll see how ridiculous the plausibility of it is.
I knew you would point out Hocus Pocus which by all standards is a better film than Houses October Built and definitely a better Halloween themed film.  It could even work if it was filmed found footage style, unlike House October Built....there's also probably just as much blood and guts in it.
First of all, the main purpose of "found footage" film is to keep the budget low. Second, plausibility is NOT the reason most of us watch horror (stick to "Little House on the Prairie" for that). Next, how can YOU tell ME to watch "...October" a few more times (I've watched it 4 times...you?). As for irrationality of people doing things that are obviously dangerous...are you kidding? People try to defy death every day (that poor girl that was killed by ISIS could have stayed in her safe home in the U.S.). As for "Hocus Pocus"...it wouldn't work in the found footage format because it doesn't even work on a healthy budget. But, what do I know? I'm not the Bette Midler fan here, sorry.

marsattacks666

zombiehorror

Quote from: Mord on February 11, 2015, 02:50:50 PM
First of all, the main purpose of "found footage" film is to keep the budget low. Second, plausibility is NOT the reason most of us watch horror (stick to "Little House on the Prairie" for that). I'm not the Bette Midler fan here, sorry.

Okay, let's say that keeping the budget low is the number one goal of shooting a film as found footage...at least everyone that has made one so far (besides the imbeciles behind Houses October Built) know that there has to be a "realism" in the events that transpire.  Found footage movies are supposed to blur the line between movie and reality.  Did this really happen?  It's why The Blair Witch Project was so successful and why the creater of Cannibal Holocaust was arrested/hauled into court and had to to prove that the the actors where still alive. I never once said that all horror movies need to be plausible, just found footage; that is one of the aspects of that genre.  I'm a Catherine Najiminy fan, not Bette Midler.  As for watching Houses  October Built again, why on earth would I put myself thru that again?  When there are so many better found footage  films out there.

Mord

I don't see how any of this is so implausible. Reckless college age film students try to make a doc about those extreme haunted houses that make the news every Halloween. They actually go to real attractions and talk to real participants. Their drunken, asinine stunts piss off a crew of creepy haunted house performers. They go after them for a sick payback of sorts. No supernatural ghost crap, just people with a lot of anger and a twisted point of view. How is this implausible? Do you ever watch what is going on in this crazy, violent world? All of this is within the realm of reality (unlike those Paranormal nonsense films or that thoroughly boring Blair Witch). Of course, it doesn't have the hardcore horror street cred that Cathy Najiminy or Bette Midler would bring to the plate. Maybe next time they could get Rosie O'Donnell for the sake of authenticity.