Last Monster/Horror/Sci-Fi Movie/Show You Watched

Started by Bogey, August 26, 2008, 08:29:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marsattacks666

"They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

Howler

"That ain't tactics honey. That's just the beast in me."

marsattacks666

"They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

Count_Zirock

Quote from: McDougals House of Horror on July 01, 2013, 07:10:15 PM
Count Z, how did you like Cortlandt's documentary? I have it on my Amazon list to buy (I haven't seen it), as I absolutely loved his docu on the Aurora monster kits. I'd be curious to know what you think of his Phantom "unmasking".
Sorry, McDougal, I only just saw this question tonight. Having not seen the Aurora kits doc, I didn't really know what to expect. But "Unmasking the Masterpiece" was really cool. They did amazing work, digitally restoring old posters, photos, and lobby cards. A lot of this ground has been covered previously, but I felt they kept it pretty fresh. Some interesting info about the '43 remake, too. They go into a bit of detail on Hammer's '60 version, too, and just kind of gloss over the Robert England and Julian Sands films. They give brief mention to "The Phantom of Hollywood" with Jack Cassidy, as well as the Maximillian Schell and Charles Dance telefilms. They go into a great deal of detail on the ALW stage musical and film adaptation, then briefly mention "Erik: Portrait of a Living Corpse" during the summation. To be honest, at 105 minutes it feels rushed. And, with Tom Savini describing how Chaney did the make-up, I instantly thought, "Why isn't he doing the make-up on an appropriate volunteer?" They also cover the scenes from "Man of a Thousand Faces" that dealt with "Phantom" and "Hunchback." I think another 15 minutes for a nice, 2-hour running time, would have helped. Unfortunately, so few artifacts from "Phantom" have survived. Where are Chaney's original make-up sketches? What happened to Jack Pierce's original sketches and designs for the '43 production? It was cool to see Daniel Roebuck's original foam test of the Cagney Phantom make-up, with the more bulbous forehead piece, though. Overall, very enjoyable...but it felt incomplete, somehow.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

"That's either a very ugly woman or a very pretty monster." - Lou Costello

McDougals House of Horror

Thanks very much Count Z -- I appreciate your reviews as they are always fair and balanced. Sounds like Cortlandt's Phantom docu isn't perfect but worth a look, so I'll pick one up. And you should check out his Aurora monster kit docu -- it has a lot of great interviews with over 1,000 beautifully restored / tinted graphics, and it won a Rondo award. In fact it was so well-received that there was lots of talk about a follow-up, although I don't see any mention of it on Cortlandt's site (maybe the Phantom put Aurora II on the back-burner). Anyway, thanks again Count!
"Do you know what I've got in those crates?"

Howler

Monsters For Sale

The Crawling Eye.

First time I had seen it.  The word on this is so negative that I never gave it a chance 'til yesterday.

The acting and photography was better than I expected - The "special effects' weren't very special.

Glad I finally saw it, though.
ADAM

Mord

The Bodysnatcher - Boris and Bela at their best

Howler

Count_Zirock

"Sharknado"
*facepalm*

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

"That's either a very ugly woman or a very pretty monster." - Lou Costello

Howler

zombiehorror

American Mary(2013)-I actually felt this could have been better fleshed out if they'd have made at least 2 movies with the character!  As it is it semed rather rushed (at almost 2 hours) to get plot points out there and get to a conclusion!  A decent effort but fell a little short for me!

McDougals House of Horror

Quote from: Howler on July 13, 2013, 04:32:30 PM
Pacific Rim
Cloverfield
Monsters
Howler, hopefully you're like me and find  Monsters" to be a terrific movie. For me that film is so realistic, it is how I would absolutely envision an alien "invasion" of Earth. And on the Special Edition disc 2 it is amazing to see how they shot this digitally on a shoestring budget with a tiny crew and a very loose script. And Gareth Edwards then uses CG not to come up with a bunch of ridiculous, over-the-top special effects and chase sequences but rather to dress the sets, the signage and the backgrounds to make, as one critic wrote, "every scene look like a million bucks." This film should be required viewing for every film student -- I love it, and I'm looking forward to seeing what Edwards does with Godzilla!!

"Do you know what I've got in those crates?"

Howler

Quote from: McDougals House of Horror on July 13, 2013, 05:52:31 PM
Howler, hopefully you're like me and find  Monsters" to be a terrific movie. For me that film is so realistic, it is how I would absolutely envision an alien "invasion" of Earth. And on the Special Edition disc 2 it is amazing to see how they shot this digitally on a shoestring budget with a tiny crew and a very loose script. And Gareth Edwards then uses CG not to come up with a bunch of ridiculous, over-the-top special effects and chase sequences but rather to dress the sets, the signage and the backgrounds to make, as one critic wrote, "every scene look like a million bucks." This film should be required viewing for every film student -- I love it, and I'm looking forward to seeing what Edwards does with Godzilla!!

I do enjoy it. It is a very different take on giant monsters since there are no action scenes really other than the beginning and yet it holds my interest the whole way through. I am also looking forward to the new Godzilla movie.