Last Monster/Horror/Sci-Fi Movie/Show You Watched

Started by Bogey, August 26, 2008, 08:29:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scatter

Quote from: Creature Features on March 13, 2011, 07:19:50 PM
Hey Scat; did you ever see The Incredible Two-Headed Transplant with Bruce Dern? That one was a bit better. Scared me as a kid, lol    ;D

You bet!! Way better than this one for sure.

Next up, Ray Milland continues his American International Pictures Reign Of Error in...............

"Frogs"(1972) Sam Elliott, Ray Milland, Joan Van Ark

"Jason Crockett (Milland) is an aging, grumpy, physically disabled millionaire who invites his family to his island estate for his birthday celebration. Pickett Smith (Elliott) is a free-lance photographer who is doing a pollution layout for an ecology magazine. Jason Crockett hates nature, poisoning anything that crawls on his property. On the night of his birthday the frogs and other members of nature begin to pay Crockett back."

Milland is really stretching his acting muscles in these AIP escapes...............er, releases. First, in "The Thing With Two Heads",  he was a rich, bigoted, grumpy, domineering scientist who is willing to sacrifice anyone and anything to get what he wants.

Now, in "Frogs", he's a rich, bigoted, grumpy, domineering industrialist who is willing to sacrifice anyone and anything to get what he wants. I don't know about you, but I'm detecting a pattern.

With the plot firmly laid out, let's examine some peripherals...........does anyone look worse in a 70's jumper than Joan Van Ark?? Seriously. Bad. Who did her wardrobe on this flick, Jose Feliciano? Heads up for future reference, if your posterior is even flatter than your anterior, skip the jumpsuits.Jumpsuits are made for jiggle, therefore there has to be something THERE to jiggle. I've seen more jiggle in a cinderblock than on Joan Van Ark. She looks like a Pez Dispenser with arms and legs in a jumper.

Does Sam Elliott ever vary his volume when he talks?? He sounds exactly the same when he's whispering sweet nothings to Joan as he does when he says, "Run for your lives. The frogs are gaining on us." If he cried "FIRE" in a crowded movie theater, I wouldn't even drop a JuJuBee.

And, I know the 70s were rough for Ray Milland, but what's the deal with that dead cat he wears on his head??  Good grief, that's the worst hair helmet in Hollywood history. All it's missing is a chinstrap.

All that aside, a nice 70s Drive-In schlockfest that you can't help but love. Everyone should see it once. AIP does it again!!

6.5 Bananas.

We're all here because we're not all there.
http://www.distinctivedummies.net/index.html

Unknown Primate

Scatter, I'm seriously enjoying your reviews - I could read an entire book filled with 'em!

Hint, hint!
" Perhaps he dimly wonders why, there is no other such as I. "

Wicked Lester

The Crucible 1996 with Daniel Day Lewis and Winona Ryder.
Excellent history based drama. I put this in the horror section because that is what it was. I have been interested in the B.S witch trials and hunts through out history.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0115988/

It had me interested the whole ride. Highly recommend. I give it 8.5 skulls.

BaronLatos35

- Voyage to the Planet of Prehistoric Women

Worth seeing, some decent monsters, semi clad women and an overall cheesy 60s sci fi flick. Maybe the glasses of wine helped? The cool thing was I caught this on TV a show called Off Beat Cinema.
"For one who has lived but a single lifetime, you are a wise man ...Van Helsing."
"I shall awaken memories of love and crime and death..."

Moonshadow

I was knocked out a good part of the weekend with a sinus infection, so I managed to watch a lot of TV. First up:

Frankenstein Unbound (1990): I had not seen this since it was originally in theaters. For years I had wanted to see it again. Now I can't understand why I would feel that way. Despite some good actors (John Hurt, Raul Julia) the film feels incredibly dated and not quite complete. The Monster in this is a strange but original looking creation, whose most interesting features are his multi-colored, stitched together eyeballs -until you realize, why would anyone stitch eyeballs together? Maybe worth a watch if you have nothing else to do (it's on Netflix streaming).

Them! (1954): Ah, watching this classic is like wrapping up in a nice warm blanket and stretching out. No wait, that's what I did when I watched it. Still, the very best giant bug movie ever made.

The Thing (1951): It never gets old. One of the finest sci fi films of the 50s, or of all time. Yes, we all wish the Thing actually looked more like an evil plant man than a bald and deranged Marshall Dillon, but it still works.

slayergriffith

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.

mightyquinn

Watched "The Day the Earth Stood Still" on AMC for the first time.  Kept my attention all the way through!

Uncula

Quote from: mightyquinn on March 15, 2011, 08:33:55 PM
Watched "The Day the Earth Stood Still" on AMC for the first time.  Kept my attention all the way through!

:-\ You didn't say but I hope the one you watched was the original!  thrhrt
The children of the night.  What music they make!

Memphremagog

The Vault Of Horror(1973)
Forbidden Planet(1956)
Twilight Zone: The Grave(1961)
DARK SHADOWS:

David Collins: "Dead people dont just get up and walk around.."

Sarah Collins: "Sometimes they do."

MDG

UFO (1956)--This is probably one of the first feature-length documentaries on flying saucers. A pretty interesting time capsule, and very staid compared to the hundreds of UFO shows on cable. The big sell here is the first(?) motion pictures of UFOs, which they largely hold to the end. Before that, though,  there's a lot of shots of newspaper headlines and people pointing to unseen things in the sky.

It's on Netflix streaming.
MDG

Phantom Stranger

"Earth vs The Spider" (1958)

Plot: IMDB
When a man doesn't come home one night his daughter and her boyfriend go out searching and encounter a giant spider in a cave near the man's wrecked car. Coming back with the Sheriff, the spider is seemingly killed by DDT spraying, and the body then hauled for storage in the high school gymnasium. However, a loud dose of rock music by a teenage garage band revives the arachnid and sends it rampaging through the town.

Phantom's Review: Another Bert I. Gordon classic. Simple plot, cheesy FX, and barely there acting......in other words..IT"S GREAT!!
                                  Lord, how I love these 1950's giant monster movies.

ramsey37

The last few days I've watched:
"Gamera the Giant Monster" (1965)
"Gamera Vs Barugon" AKA "War of the Monsters" (1966)
"Gamera Vs Gyaos" AKA "Return of the Giant Monsters"(1967)
"Gamera Vs Viras" AKA "Destroy All Planets"(1968)
"Gamera Vs Guiron" AKA "Attack of the Monsters" (1969)
"Gamera Vs Jiger" AKA "Gamera Vs Monster X"(1970)
I recently picked up the new Gamera DVDs from Shout Factory, and this was the first time I'd actually watched all the movies back to back. The Shout Factory discs all feature the original Japanese versions of the films with English subtitles. The American versions have been available for years from other sources, and they nearly always turn up on cheap compilation DVD sets of public domain films. The new discs feature much better prints. I grew up watching Gamera as a kid so I've always had a soft spot for the big lug. I enjoyed revisiting these movies after many years of not seeing them. Gamera movies, especially after the second film, tend to be short on plot and long on goofiness, but it's always fun to watch big rubbery monsters slug it out ;)
George
Where apathy is master, all men are slaves.

Uncula

8) The new STAR TREK!  I have read that William Shatner is lobbying hard to play Kirk in the upcoming sequel but the director can't find a way to put him in!  :-\   thrhrt
The children of the night.  What music they make!

cjh5801

I spent a few evenings last week re-editing DRACULA (1931) to match the continuity in George Melford's Spanish language version, so I saw it several times.  :)

Universal really butchered the film just prior to its release, and it makes a lot more sense (and flows much better) when reassembled into the proper running order.  If anyone would care to watch it, a playlist is posted at: http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=0DBF112DB86255F0

The biggest differences are in parts 4 & 5, so you might want to skip ahead if you don't want to see the whole movie again.
- Clark
www.hollowaypages.com

Scatter

Quote from: Uncula on March 17, 2011, 04:23:39 AM
8) The new STAR TREK!  I have read that William Shatner is lobbying hard to play Kirk in the upcoming sequel but the director can't find a way to put him in!  :-\   thrhrt

Throw a Twinkie in front of the camera and Shatner will find a way in.
We're all here because we're not all there.
http://www.distinctivedummies.net/index.html