Why I didn't like the Aurora" Monster Rods"

Started by ChrisW, June 17, 2010, 07:50:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

houseofdracula

For those that don't know, Jeff Yagher has sculpted some of the Monsters for Sideshow.  I THINK that he did the statues only but I could be wrong.  Either way, you can't beat a Yagher sculpt.

My ONLY problem with Sideshow is the Co$t but that's how most things are these days.
Visit The House of Dracula (Monster Model Museum) - https://www.facebook.com/houseofdracula

Scatter

It's a terrible Elvis, but not a half-bad Rob Schneider.

We're all here because we're not all there.
http://www.distinctivedummies.net/index.html

Unknown Primate

" Perhaps he dimly wonders why, there is no other such as I. "

Universal Steve

Quote from: houseofdracula on June 30, 2010, 12:17:20 PM
For those that don't know, Jeff Yagher has sculpted some of the Monsters for Sideshow.  I THINK that he did the statues only but I could be wrong.  Either way, you can't beat a Yagher sculpt.

My ONLY problem with Sideshow is the Co$t but that's how most things are these days.

Jeff is my favorite sculpter. I miss the garage kits. I still hang onto the hope that he can work something out so he can finish the box art series.
Universal Steve
www.universalsteve.com

Mord

House of Drac, I completely agree with your assessment of Jeff Yagher. The man is absolutely brilliant! What Sideshow sculptures are you referring to... the dioramas or the premium formats? The Dracula/Renfield one has a Yagher look to it.

Mitchellmania

I didn't know about the monster cars back in the 1960's, I just saw the regular Aurora monsters at the stores.

Hepcat

Quote from: lappys22 on June 18, 2010, 04:29:29 PM
I liked the box art. The models not so much.

I agree. The box art by James Bama was fabulous as always. The kits not so much, partially because of the scale factor.

The other problem associated with these kits is that the cars had plastic wheels and tires when the better quality car kits from the day all had metal axles, chromed plastic wheels and rubber tires. I was quite disappointed in the overall look of the Frankenstein's Flivver that i built due to the wheel deficiency.

I have the Frankenstein's Flivver, Dracula's Dragster and Wolfman's Wagon in my collection now but I still need a Mummy's Chariot, King Kong's Thronester and Godzilla's Go-Kart.

8)
Collecting! It's what I do!

Horror Sanctum

Quote from: ChrisW on June 17, 2010, 07:50:46 PM
After reading some comments in response to Mattel's new goth-doll offerings, I started analyzing my feelings in regards to the Aurora "Monster Rods" - Frankenstein's Fliver and the like. I did not like, and didn't buy, any of them as a youngster. I used to think it was that the monster's were being made fun of - but I always loved "The Munsters", "The Addams Family", monster comedy records and cartoons, monster joke cards, etc.
I realize now it was the poor spatial relationship between the "realistic" monster and the cartoon-like car. Even as a kid I recognized how ill-conceived they were. Out of all of them, "Godzilla's Go-kart" was the most successful at achieving a balance between car and driver. Had I seen that one in those days, I would have bought it. Even today it's the one I'm most pleased Polar Lights re-issued.
Any other thoughts?

TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU!!
The were too odd looking for me and they made fun of the monsters I loved so much.
I understand they were tongue in cheek, but they just didn't interest me at all.
I have thought many times of buying them on ebay, but I know I would never build them.
BTW I loved the ODD ROD cards. These just didn't do it for me.
Sam McCain
HORROR SANCTUM STUDIOS
http://www.horrorsanctum.com

toys-of-terror

Don't really care for them either, When i see the sideshow little big head guys with skateboards or the wrestler monsters these come to mind. I hate the wrestling monsters

Mcdee

I think they are Great! Still have all the Originals ;D...
Still cool in my books...
Mcdee
Remember, it's not just a hobby, it's an obsession!