Cryptids, anyone?

Started by Memphremagog, October 15, 2017, 04:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Memphremagog

Cryptids are unknown animals/beings that have no current zoological classification and may or may not exist. They come in many forms:

Humanoids: such as Bigfoot, yeti, most of the versions of Sasquatch and other anthropoids, dogmen, Reptilian bipeds, the Goatman, etc..

Sea or lake dwellers such as the Loch Ness Monster, Champ, Ogopogo, the Monterey Sea serpent,etc..

Flying creatures or humanoids such as the Mothman of Point Pleasant, the Jersey Devil, Thunderbirds and prehistoric flying reptiles,etc..

Other creatures that defy classification such as the Dover Demon, the Chupacabra,etc..

Whether local legends or part of folklore, these things have become part of the human experience to many people..

Anyone  have an interest in them or care to discuss?  :)

DARK SHADOWS:

David Collins: "Dead people dont just get up and walk around.."

Sarah Collins: "Sometimes they do."

Memphremagog

DARK SHADOWS:

Remco Wolfman

Absolutely love Cryptids. I sometimes think about what it would have been like to live in a time and place when, if you walked a dark village road at night, in the back of your mind you were just a tad concerned that there may be vampires, werewolves, witches etc. out there lurking in the dark. At times you'll see authentic vampire kits go for auction and sell for large sums. I like to think about the ever prepared soul who carried such a kit with him in days of yore.

Cryptids hold just a bit of that same terrifying magic in the modern day. My family camps a lot and I had one of my kids ask if Bigfoot is real and I was happy to report ... "I'm not sure" (much to the irritation of my wife). I'm not saying Sasquatch & other cryptids exist. But I'm not saying they don't ... who am I to say.

Hepcat

Lake Champlain and Lake Okanagan have hosted populations of fresh water sea monsters for eons.

Lake Champlain

Max. length 201 km (125 mi)
Max. width 23 km (14 mi)
Surface area 1,269 sq km (490 sq mi)
Average depth 19.5 m (64 ft)
Max. depth 122 m (400 ft)

The ones in Lake Champlain are collectively known as Champ.

Lake Okanagan

Max. length  135 kilometres (84 mi)
Max. width 5 kilometres (3.1 mi)
Surface area 351 square kilometres (136 sq mi)
Average depth 76 m (249 ft)
Max. depth 232 m (761 ft)

Those in Lake Okanagan are called Ogopogo.

The jersey of the Kelowna Rockets, of the major junior Western Hockey League, has for decades featured the prehistoric monster dwelling in Lake Okanagan named Ogopogo:

Ogopogo has been devouring careless fishermen and swimmers in the lake for thousands of years.

cl:)
Collecting! It's what I do!

BRICK

I am quite interested in the field of Cryptozoology; admittedly, while I am more skeptical of the subject than I once was,  I do still try to keep an open mind. Growing up, I loved to watch "in Search Of..." or those Sun Classic "Shock-umentaries" of the 1970's. I can also remember when my first son was born and I would have to feed him in the middle of the night; to past the time I would listen to Art Bell and the paranormal radio show AM Coast to Coast. There were a lot of calls about ghosts and UFOs, but every now and then you would get a caller saying "...and that's when Bigfoot ran in front of my truck!"

Over the years, there has been a perpetual tug of war when it comes to evidence (i.e. look, it's real; no, this proves it's a hoax; wait, here's more proof of existence; nope, here is more counter-evidence; etc). I have to admit that National Geographic's research into Bigfoot, looking at where the joints bend in the Patterson film, is quite compelling.

In the end, I like to think we live in a world where wondrous things still exist, waiting to be discovered (like the Coelacanth). The sad fact is, however, that rather than discovering a bunch of new species, we are finding more and more animals that are on the brink of extinction, that are apt to become future cryptozoological specimens.
When times are dark, don't consider art to be merely a distraction; rather, think of it as a lifeline-  Neil Gaiman paraphrase.

Memphremagog

The Mothman of Point Pleasant, W.Virginia is one of a select few cryptids that actually has a monument dedicated to it..

DARK SHADOWS:

Count Zero

Quote from: BRICK on October 16, 2017, 04:41:51 PM
to past the time I would listen to Art Bell and the paranormal radio show AM Coast to Coast. There were a lot of calls about ghosts and UFOs, but every now and then you would get a caller saying "...and that's when Bigfoot ran in front of my truck!"

i love coast to coast! art bell & george noory... great stuff.
i still listen to this day.
looking for vhs recordings of tnt's monstervision with joe bob briggs

Count Zero

ever heard of the skunk ape?
looking for vhs recordings of tnt's monstervision with joe bob briggs

Memphremagog

Quote from: Count Zero on October 17, 2017, 03:27:52 PM

Same here! Some great radio at night. Beyond Reality with Jason Hawes(from Ghost Hunters) is also on before it here..double dose of paranormal radio. :)
DARK SHADOWS:

Memphremagog

Quote from: Count Zero on October 17, 2017, 03:29:50 PM

ever heard of the skunk ape?

A strange thing about this photo is that the woman who took it submitted it anonymously..most people(when trying to hoax, that is) make sure that they get credit for the publicity side. This person wanted nothing to do with that and sent it to investigators with a bit of background story and not much about herself because she said that she found the creature disturbing. :o
DARK SHADOWS:

Memphremagog

This Friday, October 20, 2017, will be the 50th anniversary of this film footage and photos:

The Patterson/Gimlin film was taken on October, 20,1967 and has been hotly debated for decades as to whether or not it is evidence that Sasquatch exists..despite the many naysayers over the years, no one has ever been able to debunk the footage as a hoax.
DARK SHADOWS:

Memphremagog

This photo allegedly showing Champ(the Lake Champlain Monster) was taken 40 years back in 1977..

DARK SHADOWS:

Memphremagog

The most famous cryptid photo ever was revealed to be a hoax back in the 1990's..dubbed "Surgeon's photo", this pic supposedly showed the Loch Ness Monster and was considered real by many investigators for decades, until a person who assisted the surgeon revealed that it was a toy submarine with a serpent-like head attached to it..several attempts to replicate it confirmed the story that it was easily able to be replicated..

DARK SHADOWS:

Remco Wolfman

Quote from: Count Zero on October 17, 2017, 03:27:52 PM

I used to have to drive home from work very late at night. Always listened to Coast to Coast AM. I was always astonished at how much George Noory knew about the most obscure and bizarre stuff from the most obscure places in the US. He'd sometimes talk about random stuff from my area that I'd never heard of. Then I'd look it up. Sure enough, he was speaking authoritatively.

Memphremagog

Legend chart of cryptids in North America:

DARK SHADOWS: