Suzanne Somers..76

Started by Bizarro Jeff, October 15, 2023, 07:01:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bizarro Jeff

Some things are better not seen, some things are better lost than found...

Sir Masksalot

I never watched "Three's Company" or anything else of hers but she deserves credit for
keeping her career going a lot longer than most glamor girls would've ever imagined.
"Sad", yes ... seventy-six seems rather young to shuffle off nowadays.

Hepcat

Quote from: Sir Masksalot on October 15, 2023, 10:09:15 PMI never watched "Three's Company" or anything else of hers but she deserves credit for keeping her career going a lot longer than most glamor girls would've ever imagined.

I agree. Yes, Suzanne Somers was certainly glamorous right from the start of her career. But she didn't just let the years take their toll. In fact unlike all those other examples of celebrities who should have had everything but threw it all away including their lives through substance abuse, Somers did precisely the opposite. After a typical ego driven Hollywood starlet bonehead move got her fired from her $30,000 per episode gig on Three's Company after the 1980-81 season and gave her a reputation as an unreliable prima donna, she remade herself by focusing on personal fitness:

This enabled her to score a gig as the spokeswoman for ThighMaster at the age of 42 in 1990!

She reportedly pulled $300 million over the years from her ThighMaster contract alone plus however much more from all her workout books and videos.

8)
Collecting! It's what I do!

kristinms8

Suzanne was an important figure in the ongoing battle for equal pay and I don't think the chemistry on Three's Company was the same after they fired her.  Being paid 1/5 of your male counterpart is unacceptable in my opinion, but sadly all too commonplace especially at that time.  But she took the firing in stride and went on to be incredibly successful as an actor, author, & businesswoman.  Cheers to a life well lived!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hepcat

Quote from: kristinms8 on October 31, 2023, 12:16:38 AMSuzanne was an important figure in the ongoing battle for equal pay.... Being paid 1/5 of your male counterpart is unacceptable in my opinion, but sadly all too commonplace especially at that time.

Yes, but that's an argument she should have made once her contract expired at the end of that 1980-81 season. She was AWOL for a couple of shows in her bid to get a better immediate deal thus violating the terms of her contract. That's intolerable because a man's (and woman's) word is his bond.

C:)

Collecting! It's what I do!

kristinms8

I hear you and I've heard some of the stories.  As much as I'd like to think I wouldn't break a contract (or my word for that matter), I'm not going to speculate that I know everything going on behind the scenes since I wasn't there personally and I think there were a lot of layers.

History seems to indicate that when actors ask for parity raises or bring up equality concerns, they are often let go regardless of the circumstances because Hollywood execs seem to think characters are replaceable / interchangeable.

Ultimately the fans, & in some cases the blacklisted actors, are the ones that suffer.  I'm not going to fault someone for asking for parity in any job, acting or not, especially when they've proven their worth.  That's just my 2 cents though.

RIP Suzanne & Cheers to her for reinventing herself & being very successful as you pointed out above!

& Happy Halloween to All! 🎃💀🖤

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk