Bullmark King Kong

Started by NekroDave, April 21, 2009, 06:09:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NekroDave

Ok, here's another rare strange King Kong item that I came across (in truth, had pointed out to me) last week. Check out this image from a 1977 Japanese toy catalog showing a Bullmark King Kong (bottom left)...that shoots a spinning disc from it's waist!

I emailed a few prominent collectors I know about it over the weekend and no one seems to have ever heard of it before. Since Bullmark went out of business in late 1977, I'm guessing it was never released. Too bad. I love the sculpt of it and the ludicrous gimmick is a plus in my eyes.

I think I've seen that other Kong around though, if I'm not mistaken. Never paid much attention to those little walkers and such.

Gareee

How do you know that is a kong, and isn't just a gorilla?

raycastile

A monster gorilla toy is just another name for an unlicensed King Kong toy.  If it was made in 1977, it's part of the merchandising wave from the '76 Kong.  Even if it says "gorilla," the kids are supposed to know that it's Kong.
Raymond Castile

NekroDave

The first couple of kana are missing, but the last three (above the ¥650 price) reads "Kong".

mjaycox

Quote from: raycastile on April 21, 2009, 10:26:54 PM
A monster gorilla toy is just another name for an unlicensed King Kong toy.  If it was made in 1977, it's part of the merchandising wave from the '76 Kong.  Even if it says "gorilla," the kids are supposed to know that it's Kong.

It was indeed made by Bullmark, sans the spinning wheel, as King Kong as a tie in to the 76 movie. I own this figure. It was a joint venture with Mego, and the toy bears both companies logos. This same sculpt was used for a Frankenstein wind-up, which I also have in my collection.

Mego produced additional King Kong toys in japan using the company ONDA. These are more common.

Beast witches,

Matt
"I don't want to live in the past. I just don't want to lose it."
     -The Two Jakes

raycastile

Quote from: mjaycox on April 21, 2009, 10:53:44 PM
It was indeed made by Bullmark, sans the spinning wheel, as King Kong as a tie in to the 76 movie. I own this figure. It was a joint venture with Mego, and the toy bears both companies logos. This same sculpt was used for a Frankenstein wind-up, which I also have in my collection.

Mego produced additional King Kong toys in japan using the company ONDA. These are more common.

Beast witches,

Matt

Did you show these to me, either in person or in a photo?  No, I remember.  You showed me Mecha Kong.  I'd certainly like to see these two Bullmarks.  The Kong and the Frankie.
Raymond Castile

NekroDave

Quote from: raycastile on April 21, 2009, 11:20:53 PM
I'd certainly like to see these two Bullmarks.  The Kong and the Frankie.

Same here! Please post a pic when you get a chance.. Thanks in advance...

darkmonkeygod

Matt, Seen much of the Mego / Bullmark and ONDA stuff, never heard of a Frankenstein wind up from any of themmade from the same sculpt. That's sounds like super wacky Japanese stuff! Is it the Toho one or 'our' Frankie? Love to see pix.

Dave, Oddly enough, I have some vague memory of seeing a color photo of the Kong WITH the spinning disc. I know I've seen the vinyl figure and the wind-up in person repeatedly over the years, and the color pic could have been of a prototype (seems like it was in a Hyper Hobby or one of the other $25 a piece Japanese mags I used to by MONTHLY way back when). The box of those is somewhere in my warehouse, so I'll add that to the list of things I'll look for when I get the time...

Thanks for posting this! You researching / searching for more Kong stuff or just happen across it? The Bullmark boxed King Kong Lives is pretty cool and I think it has Mego on it as well, even though it is so much later.
Shannon aka monsieurmonkey on UMA Y!

NekroDave

Y'know, it never occurred to me that Matt might have been referring to the Toho Frankenstein! That would make a lot more sense than a Universal Frankenstein with a Kong body!

Anyway, no, this was just sent to me by a buddy who's into die-casts. He was interested in those Zinclons you can see on the other page and some Arklons that were in another pic (that may be Greek to most of you, but I think Shannon knows what I'm talking about... lol) , but he knew I'd be interested in that King Kong. Otherwise I would have completely missed it.

mjaycox

Quote from: mjaycox on April 21, 2009, 10:53:44 PMIt was a joint venture with Mego, and the toy bears both companies logos. This same sculpt was used for a Frankenstein wind-up, which I also have in my collection.

Oh, Dammit!

I typed too fast and wasn't paying attention. That was meant to say: King Kong wind-up. Talk about a Freudian slip. Sorry for getting people's hopes up. Though, as it was said, it would likely have been a Toho Frankenstein conquers the world guy.

Flickr isn't letting me link to photos right now for some reason, but I will upload later.
"I don't want to live in the past. I just don't want to lose it."
     -The Two Jakes

Kong76

Holy Cow, here he is!

http://cgi.ebay.com/King-Kong-1976-Sample-Figure-Only-one-in-the-world_W0QQitemZ280375276391QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4147ab3367&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1205%7C293%3A2%7C294%3A50

I am not the seller, just a big kong 76 fan who saw the post. The vinyl bullmark release did not have the wheel mechanism, nor any red paint on the chest as described in this item listing. He has red in the mouth, red nails, and silver highlights on the chest. It was a basic figure, with minimal paint. But it IS the same sculpt as the one listed, just slightly shorter in the waist, (where they removed the spinner?) taken from the 76 maquette that surfaces now and again.  You can see this toy in John Bonavita's MEGO book. I've seen no photos of it online, but do own the actual one shot for John's book. As discussed, this sculpt was shortened further for the walking toy.

I thought that magazine scan was rare, to see the actual toy pop up made my jaw drop. This is waaay out of my league, but wow, what an incredible holy grail toy. I...want.... it....haha.

NekroDave

That's strange. I was just thinking about this again the other day and was meaning to bump this thread. That's pretty amazing to see it up there. So presumably it's the exact same one as in the scan I posted. Would love to get it myself, but even if I had that kind of scratch to spend, I wouldn't spend it on this.

Although, if this toy really is one of a kind, I find it odd that his price is nearly 1/4 that of his boxed tin Gigan, which, while very very rare, isn't worth that much.

NekroDave

I didn't realize it until just now but apparently Takara owned the license to Kong in Japan, but allowed Bullmark (and Ark, in the case of the die-cast) to make these toys. So the copyright info on the feet actually includes Takara, Mego, and Bullmark. Interesting. I guess it makes sense seeing that Takara also previously made the Universal Monster inflatables. Maybe they had a deal with Universal that included Kong too (although I know the rights to Kong is a convoluted story, in and of itself).. Also, at this time Takara had two smash hit toy lines running while Bullmark was on their last legs. So it seems that they farmed it out to Bullmark, since they were more known for their vinyl toys. Too bad Kong craze didn't save them..

Damn, I would love to have that thing! I'd still love to see the official release, if one of you guys could post it. Does the toy that was ultimately released have the same markings?

Kong76

Hi Dave,

I think it's amazing you posted this magazine scan of something many collectors and Kong afficianados have never seen (in itself, extremely rare) in April, and in July the actual toy (Of which there is only 1 made!!!) surfaces. Pretty awesome.

I don't  think it's worth 5k, (maybe for Jessica lange's jungle costume:) and I don't think they will get that asking price. Having said that, if I had stupid money for this kind of thing, I'd grab it in a heartbeart.

My Bullmark is still sealed, but the foot markings seem the same. It's the same exact toy, just with the spinner removed, and they shortened him just slightly.

If you've seen the Kong 76 maquette that surfaces from time to time (someone on the forums    posted pics, search Kong holy grail) you'll see that the Bullmark toy was modeled after this maquette -- which makes it that much cooler. The other Mego/Onda, modeled after the Berkey art (which I love) was a bad interpretation and looks more like bigfoot.

NekroDave

Yeah, that is an unusual coincidence!

If this is really one of a kind, I don't think asking $5,000 is too out of line. Plenty of more common Japanese toys sell for just as much or more all the time.

I did see that maquette. In fact, since I've been buying lots of Kong stuff the last few months, Shawn made damn sure to let me know that that auction was off limits for me. LOL.