Some More of My Monster Models

Started by rkoenn, March 10, 2020, 03:56:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rkoenn

I got back into the model building hobby about 10 years ago first with WW2 airplanes.  I had only built a couple when walking through an Orlando Toys 'r Us one day I spied that big "Aurora" monster four pack and recalled my youth when these were released and bought it.  I actually didn't built any in that box for 3 or 4 years but it had ignited fond memories of model building in my youth and my love of the classic monsters, not so much current gory SFX monsters, and I really got back into the hobby.  My stash is now around 400 kits which are mainly monsters, scifi, and fantasy/show cars like Tom Daniel and Ed Roth.  I've built 195 models since I started it again in 2009.

Robert Koenn
Born again monster kid, remembering watching Tampa Bay Channel 13 Shock Theater as a kid with the great classic horror films!

rkoenn

By the way, I do contract work or sell built models as well so if anyone is interested please contact me with a PM.  Thanks.
Robert Koenn
Born again monster kid, remembering watching Tampa Bay Channel 13 Shock Theater as a kid with the great classic horror films!

Mike Scott

It's a fantastic collection, rkoenn! So many great kits! I love that Phantom with organ kit!
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

Kidagain

All top-notch pieces rkoenn, thanks for showing them to us.

Jim Bertges

It's very exciting to see all these fantastic builds! You've really been working hard and your skills haven't been diminished one bit from your time away from the hobby. In fact, they may have improved. I am looking forward to seeing much more of your work in the upcoming months.
You knew the job was dangerous when you took it, Fred.

rkoenn

Quote from: Jim Bertges on March 11, 2020, 01:41:42 PM
It's very exciting to see all these fantastic builds! You've really been working hard and your skills haven't been diminished one bit from your time away from the hobby. In fact, they may have improved. I am looking forward to seeing much more of your work in the upcoming months.
Thank you much. Actually I did model building of one form or another all my life after I started around 8 years old back in the early '60s. But in early high school I became a space fanatic and switched to model rocketry.  Building them was as fun as flying them.  I did that for about four decades but a genetic nerve disorder started affecting me and I have difficulty walking on non-flat surfaces.  My interest in plastic modeling came back then, even though I built an occasional plastic model over those decades (there was even a contest event to convert a non-flying plastic model to flying which I did a few times), and I picked it backup when I found the Monster Four Pack one day in Toys 'r Us and that really got me back into serious plastic model building.  We have been moving houses from east side of Florida to the Tampa area and I just finally am getting my new workshop ready for operation.  Then I will get back fully into the hobby.  I can say for certain my building skills are far, far better than when I was a kid.  And over the 10+ years since I picked it up again I have many new tricks and skills but am always learning and experimenting.
Robert Koenn

BigShadow

Am I the only one who could look at monster models all day?  I especially like the vintage models done by monster kids with Testors paint.  Of course the more professional ones look fantastic, but there is something about a crudely done or amateurish model displayed on a bookshelf.
I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity...

House of the Unusual Podcast

rkoenn

Quote from: BigShadow on March 15, 2020, 12:52:45 AM
Am I the only one who could look at monster models all day?  I especially like the vintage models done by monster kids with Testors paint.  Of course the more professional ones look fantastic, but there is something about a crudely done or amateurish model displayed on a bookshelf.
The models I built back in the '60s would probably qualify, too bad I don't have any pictures of them.  I know I used those Testor's namels which I hated because of the nasty cleanup every time you used one.  Acrylics are a fair part of the reason I returned to the hobby, no odor and water cleanup.  About 9 years ago for about 3 years I restored original Auroras for a client in Oregon.  He picked up the built models somewhere and sent them to me and I stripped and cleaned them up and returned them.  Here is a couple of examples of the kits I restored from the "crudely done or amateurish models" I received.

Robert Koenn

Hepcat

Quote from: BigShadow on March 15, 2020, 12:52:45 AMI especially like the vintage models done by monster kids with Testors paint.

I agree! Traditional styrene kits with glossy Testors or Pactra paints absolutely scream proper old-fashioned monster kid. And that to me is what monsters are all about.

Quote from: rkoenn on March 15, 2020, 08:44:22 AMThe models I built back in the '60s would probably qualify, too bad I don't have any pictures of them.  I know I used those Testor's namels which I hated because of the nasty cleanup every time you used one.  Acrylics are a fair part of the reason I returned to the hobby, no odor and water cleanup.

My ideal is seeing someone with your level of adult skills using the traditional glossy Testors or Pactra paints on a styrene model kit. I'd like to see more such homages to the monster kid era of model building! (And I love the smell of those enamel paints!)

8)
Collecting! It's what I do!