Marx Yeti help needed

Started by Anton Phibes, September 11, 2015, 09:15:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anton Phibes

I recently acquired an absolutely stunning Marx Yeti. However--I cannot figure out how to turn the thing on, and I am not sure the remote is intact in order for me to even attempt this. As I am terrified of doing anything wrong....could someone who has a working one take pictures of the remote inside and out, top and bottom so I may see if I am missing any components such as a spring or metal component etc?

I got what I consider to be a wonderful deal on it....., it even has a box that isn't as rough as some I have seen. But if the remote is poopy....then I have to figure out what to do. :'(

Anyone with any insight who wouldn't mind being helpful, I would be very happy. I looked for past threads, but the pictures associated with Mr. yeti have vanished and were replaced by photos of a kitten and the "photo not found" disclaimer. Somebody helps me. :'(

Anton Phibes

51 folks have peeked in....and not a peep nor a pic? Helps me out  fellas. I gotta get him workin or  Im gonna cry. Seriously. His aethetics are great. no paint rubbed off except on one toe nail, and near white fur. Beautiful. But I think there's something up with the controller. :-[ :'(

horrorhunter

Quote from: Anton Phibes on September 11, 2015, 11:00:13 PM
51 folks have peeked in....and not a peep nor a pic? Helps me out  fellas. I gotta get him workin or  Im gonna cry. Seriously. His aethetics are great. no paint rubbed off except on one toe nail, and near white fur. Beautiful. But I think there's something up with the controller. :-[ :'(
Congrats on the purchase and the good deal. If I had one I would help you but I don't. Sorry, bro.

The few folks that have Marx Yetis probably check in on UMA eventually. You should get some info soon.

I had a Marx Kong when I was a Monsterbrat. Man, that was a cool toy.  8)

Found this vid on You Tube showing the Marx Yeti in action.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=lvbvMAB3jH4

There are several You Tube videos showing the Marx Yeti, but none showing how to repair one that I could find. Shame those pics Frankenmarx posted about how to repair one aren't there anymore.
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

Anton Phibes

I havent yet decided if I will keep him, trade him for stuff I want more, or flip him. But I have to get him working and play with him for awhile. That will help me make my decision. But the battery handle is the area I want to see exacting pictures of before I even think about having him opened up and surgery performed. Which I doubt will be necessary.

Gory Glenn

I think that Ray would be the guy who could help you out. You should PM him. These pics are from his web site.

http://thegalleryofmonstertoys.com/

Here's Ray's thread here on the UMA about him with even better pics.

http://www.universalmonsterarmy.com/forum/index.php?topic=1452.0

And here's a little article on him.

http://www.toynerd.com/index.php/2009/07/13/not-so-abominable-after-all/

Anton Phibes

Thanks fellas. But the devil is in the details, as it were. I have to get information on the controller/battery pack before I start pulling my hair out,lol. I am going to post the pics of the one I have. The monster itself is fab. The box is pretty good, with a little damage someone repaired with clear tape. The control/battery pack I feel must be missing something metal to make the necessary contacts. But I won't know until someone who has one that works can confirm via the taking of pictures of the battery tube for me. Anyway here are the pics.

Gory Glenn

That's why I suggested Ray. If he has one (and I believe he does) he could tell you if yours is missing something by your pics.

Mcdee

Have you tried cleaning any of  that corrosion off of the terminals ?
Use Q--tips on the contact springs with (vinegar?... WD-40 ?)...
I know a little corrosion can really muck up  the works...
Mcdee
Remember, it's not just a hobby, it's an obsession!

Mord

Glenn's right about Ray. Either he, Monster Bob, or Freddie Poe should be able to help. Congratulations on this acquisition, it really looks to be in excellent shape (with the box even!). You should display it as a companion piece to your DD Yeti. If you decide to sell it, I'm sure someone would buy it as is. Good luck, buddy.

Anton Phibes

Guess what...? He's working now. I just have to figure out a way to fix the controller knob. But he walks and growls, and then when you turn the position, he stops, raises his arms and yells. But the controller is still wonky. I think there is a piece missing. But I have a buddy who is tinkering with it. Keep your fingers crossed. :angel:

Mord

That's great news. You might want to keep this beauty now.

Anton Phibes

Well, the piece that is missing is the switch that slips up inside the blue knob. My buddy is trying to figure out how to re-create one. if i knew what it looked like it would be easier. But I cannot expect anyone to take theirs apart to show me. I wish those Frankenmarx pics were still around. They could be a big help. Move as things progress will be posted here.

I know this puppy is a grail for many. Honestly, as neat as it is.....I may still try to trade it for things I desire more. Or hang onto it until the market improves a bit. Economy seems anemic right now.

Gory Glenn

Quote from: Anton Phibes on September 18, 2015, 03:32:24 PM
Well, the piece that is missing is the switch that slips up inside the blue knob. My buddy is trying to figure out how to re-create one. if i knew what it looked like it would be easier. But I cannot expect anyone to take theirs apart to show me. I wish those Frankenmarx pics were still around. They could be a big help. Move as things progress will be posted here.

I know this puppy is a grail for many. Honestly, as neat as it is.....I may still try to trade it for things I desire more. Or hang onto it until the market improves a bit. Economy seems anemic right now.

You know when I saw your pics of the remote taken apart I did think there was a metal piece missing from the knob. I've had twist on/off flashlights that worked the same way. At least you figured it out and can proceed with a solution. Good Luck!

Anton Phibes

The Yeti is working. The rotary wafer in the switch was toast. We did a work around on it, and now he howls loudly and walks freely with a twist of a knob. The switch is a delicate little flower, and the battery compartment in not as tight closing as I like. But he's now officially a working beast. If I can figure out how, Maybe I will post a video after the holidays!

I gotta go scare the cats and dog with him right now though. When he screams....they flee for their lives,lol.

Anton Phibes

This Yeti is gonna be available for trade. So, mods feel free to move this thread if deemed necessary. Things I am on the prowl for:

1. Boxed Remco 8 inch Wolfman
2. Telco Mummy 17 inch battery operated motion-ette
3. ABG Green Frankenstein pencil sharpener.

If I list it on ebay for cash, I would ask $700. I would also list it as "non working" because the switch is too sketchy and needs a new switch altogether retro fitted in my opinion. Monster works. Switch is only working so so. PM if interested, and for further pics if so desired.