I wish we had classics on the big screen.

Started by BlackLagoon, March 19, 2010, 05:50:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlackLagoon

I'm not limiting this to the Universal stuff either.

Does anyone remember like 10-15 years ago when they brought the original Star Wars Trilogy back into select theatres...with the new scenes? That was incredible!...A theatre in a happening spot showing Empire Strikes Back at midnight on Sat. Awesome.

I would love to see all our Universals, including older stuff like Phantom/Hunchback do something like this. Even the original King Kong..or the Hammer films.

I gotta think, if you put JAWS on the big screen for a weekend...people would pack the house.

Last year a smaller cinema around here showed Apocalypse Now for 1 day, the line was around the building.

So why doesnt it happen more often?...I'd go see Star Wars, Dracula or JAWS once a month on the big screen if they let me!
"I send my murdergram to all the monster kids, it comes right back to me, signed in their parents blood"

hammerfan

It is being done at the Portage Theater in Chicago every month. 
Have the Lambs stopped screaming Clarice?....Dr. Lector

Ormsby

I know a few local spots are doing this, but not many.  Sometimes the Huntington Cinema Arts Centre here on Long Island will show something, I saw Dracula (1931) on the big screen there just before Halloween last year.  As far as wide release, that's not happening.  Studios like Universal don't think it will make enough money to go wide.

I wish they'd do like Charles Band with his films and have a road tour of the classic movies with lectures and an area set up with memorabilia for people to look at.  The night I met Zacherley, he was giving a lecture at a college and then he showed the Ritz Brothers in The Gorilla (1939).  It was a really fun night.

Lately I've been thinking it might have to be up to us fans to get something done.  I'm trying to get something together around here to either have a monthly double feature showing of classics or just a marathon of them around Halloween, but everything has fallen apart so far (funds fall through, groups who would sponsor drop out, theaters don't want to do it, etc, etc).  Still I'm looking to get this off the ground. 
Ormsby
Ormsby's Cinema Insane
http://www.cinemainsane.com

LundyAfterMidnight

When I lived in the Kansas City area, there was a theatre that showed old movies. I was priveledged to see Creature From The Black Lagoon, in 3D no less. Great idea though, but I won't hold my breath for anything like this in Iowa...MAYBE Des Moines.
"Well friends, that's all there is to life: just a little laugh, a little tear." - Prof. Echo (Lon Chaney, Sr.)

Scary Terry

Don't know where in Iowa you are, Lundy... but Iowa City used to have screenings of classic films all the time at the University.  I assume they still do.
Scary Terry
www.terrybeatty.blogspot.com

Gillman-Fan

Yeah, the big studios would do themselves (and us) a big favor by not trying to churn out so much new crap and just rerelease stuff theatrically.

Chicago has a great culture regarding revival cinema and I think you're starting to see this spread out a little more. Our recently nixed "Movies in the Park" series was a huge hit with the general audience.

IMO once you've experienced a 70mm print of something like ALIEN or BladeRunner projected, everything else pretty much sucks.

Toy Ranch

Quote from: Gillman-Fan on March 19, 2010, 09:48:22 PM
Yeah, the big studios would do themselves (and us) a big favor by not trying to churn out so much new crap and just rerelease stuff theatrically.

Chicago has a great culture regarding revival cinema and I think you're starting to see this spread out a little more. Our recently nixed "Movies in the Park" series was a huge hit with the general audience.

IMO once you've experienced a 70mm print of something like ALIEN or BladeRunner projected, everything else pretty much sucks.

They used to do that.  The popularity of monster movies in the 50's started because the 30's films were being re-released in theaters.  They became popular and new ones were made, and it went on from there.

Today, with DVD's being so prevalent, I don't think they'll ever do that again.  70mm Alien or Bladerunner in theaters doesn't earn them as much as Blu-Ray releases of those.  Theaters don't want to book runs of old movies, although some art houses and alternative cinema places will do that.  I don't dispute that they would be doing US a favor, but there probably aren't enough of us who would go to that and ultimately I don't think it does them any favors.  They make more by sitting back as each of us buys a DVD or Blu Ray.

DollFace

I know of one or two places in St. Louis that show old films once a month..I wish the other cinemas would have matinee showings of old films at least. I thought about pitching the idea to the local theatre before but never did. Maybe the dollar show.
The frilliest goth girl you'll ever know

LundyAfterMidnight

Quote from: Scary Terry on March 19, 2010, 09:38:21 PM
Don't know where in Iowa you are, Lundy... but Iowa City used to have screenings of classic films all the time at the University.  I assume they still do.
Hi Terry, I'm in the Cedar Rapids area, I've overlooked the Iowa City/U of I scene lately ( aside from sports). Thanks!
-PAUL
"Well friends, that's all there is to life: just a little laugh, a little tear." - Prof. Echo (Lon Chaney, Sr.)

Scatter

There's an old Paramount Theater on Palm Beach that shows old movies during the season. But nothing that interests me. Here's the theater;

Cool theater, but they really need a crash course in classic film.

Recently, a theater where I live went belly-up (The Silver Screen in Wellington)

..........Nancy and I mulled over the prospect of leasing it and opening it up again. Naturally, with a goodly line-up of classic horror and Drive-In flicks. But we chickened out because of the economy.
We're all here because we're not all there.
http://www.distinctivedummies.net/index.html

Gillman-Fan

I remember a in 2000 when The Exorcist had a week or two theatrical run . . . every show was packed if not completely sold out.

Toy Ranch

Quote from: Gillman-Fan on March 19, 2010, 10:28:42 PM
I remember a in 2000 when The Exorcist had a week or two theatrical run . . . every show was packed if not completely sold out.

They do it here every once in a while, but usually just for a night or two.  Those are better attended than some of the bad movies out there, but they're also 'special' in that people will turn out because it happens fairly rarely... 

Locally, SMU is having a Japanese film festival this weekend and next.  These aren't old classics, but rather newer films that didn't get theatrical release in the US.  The Machine Girl is listed as an action film, but it's a horror movie.  2 others are Takashi Miike films.  Not his horror stuff, but some of his samurai stuff might as well be horror.

http://people.smu.edu/japanclub/filmfestival10/imageSlider/movieinfo.html

Many universities have showings of all manner of films, but normally not old monster movies. 

ChattyLMS

We have one near where I used to live.  A couple of years ago my son and I went to see "The Day the Earth Stood Still"  Everyone laughed the whole way through it.  Neil and didn't know it was funny.
Laura ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

MDG

One of the thngs I like most about where I live is being 15 minutes from George Eastman House, so there's lots of opportunities to see classics on a big screen with an audience.
MDG

The Creeper

Wish they would do that, that would be so awesome!  They don't do that here in Bartlesville.  It would be cool to see King Kong with they spider scene added to it.  I heard they cut out a scene with a spider, is that true?
Long live the UMA!