R.I.P Weldon McDowell (19 March 1950 - 19 March 2018)

Started by Hepcat, May 26, 2023, 07:37:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hepcat

It saddens me to report that long time "Big Daddy" Roth fan and UMA board member Weldonmc passed away in 2018. I've really missed Weldon's presence here on this board. He was kind enough to share his modeling and painting skills with us and I'm sure I wasn't the only one left in awe by his efforts. Here are some examples of his work:

Mr. Gasser

Mother's Worry

Drag Nut

Rat Fink

Brother Rat Fink

Surfink

Angel Fink

Superfink

Scuz-Fink

Fink Eliminator

Robbin Hood Fink

cl:)

Collecting! It's what I do!

Hepcat

Weldonmc also did a fabulous job colourizing "Big Daddy" Roth T-shirt designs. Here are a few of my favourite pieces:

8)

Lunkenstein

Always sad to hear of a monster brethren passing. He looked like a talented guy. RIP Sir
Paul

Sir Masksalot

His fine use of color leaves me wondering if he was ever a professional artist.
'Sorry to have missed him while he was still active around here.

Flower

Sincere condolences to his friends and family.  Weldon was a very kind and talented person.  He is/will be missed.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" ...  Albert Schweitzer

Kidagain

Jim Bertges

I always enjoyed Weldon's posts and seeing his incredible model work on the Weirdos, Roth and other fantastic kits. He shared with us generously and deserves to be remembered.
You knew the job was dangerous when you took it, Fred.

Hepcat

Here are pics of a couple of Weldonmc's kit bashing efforts. He substituted the arms, hands and feet from a Superfink to customize a Rat Fink for the Johnny Rockets restaurant inside the Petersen Automotive Museum in Los Angeles:

And here he's pictured Drag Nut cruising the strip in Santa Monica to pick up babes:

But I can't tell whether Weldonmc used enamel or acrylic paints on the "Big Daddy" Roth kits he assembled. Can anyone with a more practiced eye enlighten me?

???

Hepcat

What I do know is that Weldon used PRISMACOLOR pencils to colour in Roth designs:

:)

Devlin

Looks to me that the cars are enamel, but the figures look to be mostly acrylic. Possibly with some chalk for detailing, as well. Looking at his Drag Hag in the Weird-Ohs thread, it appears that he did lettering and detailing with a paint pen— which I say because it looks eerily like the one I made by that route some years ago, to the point that I had to look at her hat and hair to see that it wasn't the way I did it!

Jim Bertges

It seems to me that Weldon was an accomplished artist and as such, probably had a variety of paints in a number of media; Enamels, Acrylics, Inks, Pastel Chalks, Sprays and Lacquers. Most likely he used spray cans for car bodies inorder to get tha smooth finish and acrylics for the figures. Craft paints offer a hugh variety of colors and are relatively inexpensive. He might even have used Oil Paints for some of the grisly details (like I do). It's not so much the kind of paint that was used, but the manner in which they were applied. Weldon really knew what he was doing and could probably produce spectacular results with any medium he chose.
You knew the job was dangerous when you took it, Fred.

Hepcat

Quote from: Devlin on June 11, 2023, 11:17:04 PMLooking at his Drag Hag in the Weird-Ohs thread, it appears that he did lettering and detailing with a paint pen— which I say because it looks eerily like the one I made by that route some years ago, to the point that I had to look at her hat and hair to see that it wasn't the way I did it!

Here's the Drag Hag Weldonmc assembled:

8)

Dr.Cyclops

Sorry i'm late to post (RIP Weldon)
Chances's are Weldon as an old school modeller most likely stuck to the Enamel paints of his youth like Humbrol / Testors etc particularly if he was air-brushing..
I myself have moved to the Acrylics. Much safer and easier on the lungs and also cleans up with water.
"A Castle without a Crypt is like a Unicorn without a Horn" ~ Professor Abronsius