Is Etsy any good?

Started by Hepcat, November 01, 2022, 12:56:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hepcat

Is Etsy a good option to Ebay for a vintage toy collector? Has anybody here scored anything really good off Etsy?

???
Collecting! It's what I do!

Anton Phibes

I've never really looked for anything vintage over there, but they do have some good independently produced item. I've bought some stuff there. A really nice silver and ruby Shadow ring replica inspired by the Pulps, and a set of silver rings from the Phantom. Both pulp/comic specific, not film specific. Never hurts to poke around.

Plastic Nebula

There are a few sellers with vintage toys on Etsy, but it's mostly new and hand crafted items. Ebay is the king
when it comes to vintage. Etsy doesn't charge as high a fee for sellers, i think it's 9.5% including payment processing.
Here's a link to a vintage seller on Etsy. Their prices are pretty high but they have some cool stuff!!

https://www.etsy.com/shop/MilestonesInMem?ref=simple-shop-header-name&listing_id=730854173

Mike Scott

CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

AndyFish

I scored a Soakie Wolfman near mint for $60 last year on Etsy-- it's absolutely worth checking out.  Nowhere near the selection eBay has, but if you're willing to be patient deals can be had.

Mike Scott

Quote from: AndyFish on November 01, 2022, 08:53:36 PM
I scored a Soakie Wolfman near mint for $60 last year on Etsy--

I'll bet it wasn't from the guy in the link.
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

YoungestMonsterKid

I recently got a Mad Monster Party poster there, from this Rankin Bass historian.
The thing is, of course, it's just a newly printed copy. So what I'm saying is, it's great if you just want physical stuff of any kind. Not sure how it goes for "true collecting".

Rex fury

I picked up a run of Bloke's Tomb of Terror from Esty. I'm not sure it's still being produced, but the issues I have were similar in vien to The Creeps, Shudder and Camila .
RF

marsattacks666

Etsy seems great for buying newly commissioned items. Great stuff will be had.
    "They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

BigShadow

I've noticed that Esty seller prices are usually outrageous.  The same items can be found on eBay or at conventions for, sometimes, hundreds of dollars less.  Buyer beware!
I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity...

House of the Unusual Podcast

marsattacks666

Quote from: BigShadow on November 03, 2022, 06:31:37 PM
I've noticed that Esty seller prices are usually outrageous.  The same items can be found on eBay or at conventions for, sometimes, hundreds of dollars less.  Buyer beware!

Fortunately,  I've had no issue with outrageous prices.
    "They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

Monsters For Sale

I've bought a few things there.

Like others have said, it's not a great place to find vintage items, but they do have some interesting newer/home crafted things.

Never had any issue with any of the sellers.  I've even gotten a few deals on things that were selling for more elsewhere.
ADAM