LATEST NEWS ON FORRY

Started by typhooforme, October 31, 2008, 12:55:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

typhooforme

Absolutely right--just keep new things coming in the mail!  Keep up the quality--but at this time, quantity helps a great deal. 
Robert in Ohio

"I don't care what they do, so long as they don't do it in the streets and frighten the horses."   Mrs. Patrick Campbell

typhooforme

Latest news on Forry at CHFB states that a visitor found him still laughing at puns, but very weak--able to speak a little, but obviously frustrated with the infirmities of old age.  He's getting wonderful care--Joe and Dolly, Earl Roesel, therapist Jose--someone is with him 24/7.  Send him your love, monster kids!  Here's his address again.  Remember his birthday--I have it right, now, I think:  NOV 24, the day after the Karloff, Boris and Sara!
Forry Ackerman
4511 Russell Ave
Los Angeles CA 90027
Robert in Ohio

"I don't care what they do, so long as they don't do it in the streets and frighten the horses."   Mrs. Patrick Campbell

typhooforme

Tomorrow, Monday, will be Forry's 92nd birthday!  But yesterday, in Los Angeles, a group of his friends got together at a local book store and had a celebration for his birthday ahead of time.  I share info posted at CHFB by the member whose user name, in loving tribute to two of his heroes, is ForrestJBradbury.  I regret I don't know his real name, but suffice to know he's a close friend of Forry's.

Ray Bradbury, Angus Scrimm, George Clayton Johnson, Dennis Etchison and many more gathered, gave speeches and had cake and made a phone call to Forry, who was very touched.  There were 2 cakes, one with Forry's image on it, and one with Universal monsters.  After the get-together, the monster cake was hand-delivered (by ForrestJBradbury) to Forry along with a huge card signed by many friends and a couple special letters--one from Bill Nolan and one from Ray Harryhausen. 

FJB reports that Forry has beat the pneumonia and kidney infection, but of course is still very very weak--the congestive heart failure is a fact of life and can't be made to go away--but Forry is still ticking and has pain only from a bedsore (which, of course, is being taken care of).  Mister Monster is enjoying all the love and good wishes you've sent him.  Keep writing, gang!
Robert in Ohio

Bogey

Continued thanks for the updates Robert.

CreepysFan

Very happy to hear Forry is getting better, but as you stated Robert, the congestive heart failure will be a permanent shadow hanging over him.  I fear there will be constant fluctuations between his getting better and getting worst from here on out.  On a more positive note at least he knows he's loved, and the fantastic influence he's had among fans.
" THIS BLANKET IS A NECESSITY.  IT KEEPS ME FROM CRACKING UP." - LINUS VAN PELT

Bogey

Quote from: CreepysFan on November 23, 2008, 11:32:19 AM
On a more positive note at least he knows he's loved, and the fantastic influence he's had among fans.

Hear, hear!

Elizabeth

Posted by Joe Moe at Scarlet Street, date/time stamp: 12/01/08 12:29:14

Forry Update:

The Ackermonster is currently fighting an infection. He's taking antibiotics and resting comfortably now. He is expected to get better within 24 hours. He has enjoyed the hundreds of cards and letters he's received from all of you. Also some great puns sent by fans (don't tell anyone, but I've enjoyed them too - send more). We can only read a portion of the vast amount of mail to him each day. However, I do read the names of each sender as the mail comes in. He's aware of all who are thinking of him. Forry may be 92 and showing it, but even in his frailty he's pretty tough. He still has a smile for me every morning.
- Joe

CreepysFan

It is proving to be an up and down roller coaster ride for our Uncle Forry's health, but as long as we keep sending our love and well wishes, hopefully he'll keep smilling for quite a while yet.
" THIS BLANKET IS A NECESSITY.  IT KEEPS ME FROM CRACKING UP." - LINUS VAN PELT

typhooforme

Forry Ackerman
4511 Russell Ave
Los Angeles CA 90027

Keep those cards and letters coming in!
Robert in Ohio

spookyray

Sad to hear about Forry.
I remember buying my first Famous Monsters mag in the PX where my Father was stationed in Stuttgart, Germany in 1967. I was about 9. I think it was #42? I was hooked ever since. Forry added a lot to my life and made these movies fun. I will never forget having the opportunity to visit his home in LA.
Please get well Forry!
Ray S.

drthomasholmes

Very sad... will miss him at the Bash.

Jscareshock

RIP uncle Forry, we owe you a lot.