7-11 MONSTER Slurpee Cups!

Started by ProfGriffin, February 14, 2008, 02:57:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

monsterboy22

Thanks for this great thread in slurpee monster cups! It motivated me to start collecting these cups again!

My experience was like most. I also mowed laws and saved up enough money to ride from my grandparents house in the summer to 7-11 to buy a monster cup slurpee and some comics. Great memories. I cam still remember the hot summer and coming back with one of these cool cups. I think I had a lemonlime slurpee and one of those yeti or minotaur cups. Sippin on that cool drink in the heat of the summer and looking at that creepy cup monster staring back at me......wow, great memories. Kids were easy to please back them.

On the dates for the monster cups? I remember buying one around 1973 or 1974. It might be later. But I feel like these cups like many of the great toys came out before 1976. After that year I think everything changed as after 1975 I dont remember any of the unique monster candies and stuff we used to have 1970-1974. Again, everything sold was sports of comic book promotion, which I never liked. The great age of candy and monsters was 1968-1974. After that it was never the same.

Today everything is over-commercialized and nothing gets printed or made by artists anymore unless its to promote a comic character in a movie. Sad. Thats why i love these cups....they were made by artists. Those times will never come again.

Last comment.....as a father, I too would NEVER let my young son walk or ride to our 7-11 alone. Why? Thats a complex question. Some blame the government, others the media. But I have done some research on this. It turns out per capita murder rates, violence, drugs and the sexual revolution peaked in 1981 and then again in the mid 1990's. Society today is much less violent. Young people today remind me of the adults I briefly remember before the Baby Boomer drug culture. In 1970 America was a much less violent place and my parents used to leave the screen door open in the summers. By 1976 America was infested with drugs and sex and the violence of the baby Boomers. Im not attacking a generation, but they really created the drug and violent society that spawned serial killings, violence in tvs and in society, and the drug culture we all suffered from. The people I remember being around as a kid in 1970 were drug-free. And kind. The young hippy and drug culture that came later from the 60's were very different. You couldnt go anywhere as a kid in 1980 and not see drugs and smoking on the street. Its was a dark time. So I blame that generation.

Lets findly remember the early 70's as a nice quiet time for kids before the dark period that came later. It will never come again. We should all hope the next generations try and recreate a safer America for their kids like we got to experience before the Boomers destroyed it.
You are nothing more than what you know

Mike Scott

Welcome to the UMA, monsterboy22 !
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

billyatom

Moderators ... can't we keep discussions about monster toys? 

Mike Scott

Quote from: billyatom on January 25, 2015, 12:49:03 AM

Yes we can. Anyone not familiar with the board etiquette can have a look at this thread.
http://www.universalmonsterarmy.com/forum/index.php?topic=4.0
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

Hepcat

Quote from: monsterboy22 on January 23, 2015, 06:41:02 PMLast comment.....as a father, I too would NEVER let my young son walk or ride to our 7-11 alone. Why? Thats a complex question. Some blame the government, others the media.

Yeah well I'm a Boomer and I blame overprotective helicopter Boomer and subsequent parenting for why kids have been coddled and haven't been allowed to be kids since the seventies(?). That's not the way either I nor other kids were raised. You are the one trying to deflect the blame for your own hysterical over-parenting, but you and you alone are responsible for your own actions. Stop trying to blame others. It's all on you.

>:(

Collecting! It's what I do!

zombiehorror

Quote from: billyatom on January 25, 2015, 12:49:03 AM

This thread was never about toys....it was about cups (i.e., memorabilia)!  :o  Therefore it's been in the wrong section from the day one so I say all out anarchy in this thread is A-ok.   >:D

marsattacks666

Quote from: zombiehorror on January 28, 2015, 05:03:07 PM
This thread was never about toys....it was about cups (i.e., memorabilia)!  :o  Therefore it's been in the wrong section from the day one so I say all out anarchy in this thread is A-ok.   >:D

;D ;D ;D
    "They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

marsattacks666

Quote from: ProfGriffin on February 14, 2008, 02:57:56 PM
Greetings Night Creatures.

Ok, so...

Slurpee...I grew up with these frozen concoctions.  Frozen, slushie, flavored and yummy.
Comparable to Icees or Slush Puppies or heck, a watery snow cone.

The 7-11 company branded these drinks and provided them in many different collectable cups.  By far the most famous were the baseball slurpee collections and of course the amazing Superhero Cups which covered both Marvel and DC and were really expansive across the Universes of these two company and using some really rare characters...(a Baron Zemo Slurpee Cup?  Yup.  The Inhumans?  Uh-huh.

But I digress.

My favorite as a kid was The Joker cup.  But closely behind that was the MONSTER Collection.
These Monsters were not officially licensed and featured generic monsters of myth and legend.
The Vampire, The Zombie, The Mummy, The Monster of the Moors, The Troll, The Headless Horseman, Medusa,
etc...

Here are some of the cups that I have (both from my childhood and collecting on Ebay)

Hydra, Golem, Zombie, Monster of the Moors (Headless Horseman and Roc in back)

Vampire and Mummy

Close up of Werewolf.

The backs of the cups had these great overviews of the monsters in a dire serious tone.
I drank many a slurpee out of these wonderful cups...they are hard plastic, brittle and shatter when dropped (or if it slips out of your hand when you are riding your bike)

These cups were a big part of my childhood...a childhood filled with monsters.

-Prof. Griffin

I totally dig these 7-11 drinking cups. Just bought a set of them. Great memories, when I was a kid, my friend and I would go to 7'11 and try to locate the cups.
    "They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."