The WORST Non-Monster film you ever saw.

Started by BlackLagoon, July 01, 2012, 01:57:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scatter

Quote from: charp13 on July 06, 2012, 01:29:46 AM
I have no idea what Lorenzo's Oil is, but now I wanna know--hahahaha!!

Char, it's a morbid, depressing, schmaltzy tear-jerker about some kid dying from cancer. Right up your alley apparently. ;D

We're all here because we're not all there.
http://www.distinctivedummies.net/index.html

charp13

Oh Zackuth, that sounds very different than what I thought it was about.  Now I'm gonna look it up on IMDB to see if the child is ok at the end. I thought it was about oil drilling.
I've watched those courageous true story movies before and I have enjoyed them as well.   :)

Sean

Quote from: charp13 on July 06, 2012, 02:09:01 AM
Oh Zackuth, that sounds very different than what I thought it was about.  Now I'm gonna look it up on IMDB to see if the child is ok at the end. I thought it was about oil drilling.
I've watched those courageous true story movies before and I have enjoyed them as well.   :)

The kid is a Cancer (zodiac).  His dad, Lorenzo Jenner, is an oil driller.  He joins the navy and sissy-foots around with Gene Kelly in some dark alley before moving to Chicago where he signs up for the Decathlon and wins the gold medal after training with the Village People.

It's the true to life story of Bruce Jenner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6_1rvr5kWM&feature=player_embedded#t=0s

Sean

There is also the matter of Breakin' 2:  Electric Boogaloo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57rxhQXwRfg&feature=player_detailpage#t=55s

I SO identified with the protagonists in this film. :o

Fester

Quote from: Sean on July 06, 2012, 01:03:18 AM
David, damn you and your lucid, tempered, thoughtful response.  You and your historically accurate facts and such.  You're impinging my ripping of the Chairman of the Board and Gene Kelly for dressing up like the kid on the Cracker Jack box and tippy-toeing around like a pair of Shirley Temples.

Even better.... how about a Plan 9. 8)

Rip away Mon Frere!  Those movies are dated and they are way out of style.  I'm just saying that ineptly made movies are bad right at the get-go.
By the way, I did state my respect for Kelly and Astaire for their dancing abilities.  But there are some dancers I respect even more: Ann Miller,  Vera-Ellen, Debbie Reynolds, and Cyd Charisse. They did every move the guys did except: they did them backwards and in high heels! ;D

OK Now I'm confused . . .I don't recall any dancing or musical numbers in Plan 9! :laugh:

BTW . . . did you recognize the guy dancing with Shirley Temple?  None other than Jed Clampett!

Haunted hearse

Quote from: Zackuth on July 06, 2012, 02:00:11 AM

Flipping through channels I noticed Chicago was on.  Passed it by.
You can do that?  Ignore a film which you can't stand? Thank goodness. If "Twighlight" is on, that means I can pass it by, and not watch it.  What a relief!
What ever happened to my Transylvania Twist?

Sean

Quote from: Fester on July 06, 2012, 05:08:18 AM
Rip away Mon Frere!  Those movies are dated and they are way out of style.  I'm just saying that ineptly made movies are bad right at the get-go.
By the way, I did state my respect for Kelly and Astaire for their dancing abilities.  But there are some dancers I respect even more: Ann Miller,  Vera-Ellen, Debbie Reynolds, and Cyd Charisse. They did every move the guys did except: they did them backwards and in high heels! ;D

OK Now I'm confused . . .I don't recall any dancing or musical numbers in Plan 9! :laugh:

BTW . . . did you recognize the guy dancing with Shirley Temple?  None other than Jed Clampett!

I hope I didn't come across as ACTUALLY peeved.  I'm entirely joking around.  I'm glad you talked about the escapism angle.  Funny thing is:  while I was searching for the clip of Sinatra and Kelly to crack on them------I sat here and watched them and said to myself "Geez, they're GOOD". ;)  The dancing performances of all of those people you mentioned are mesmerizing. 

Yep.  Jed Clampett... back when he looked like Sniglets guy, Rich Hall. ;D

As for Plan 9------wasn't the scene where Lugosi was in the water with the octopus a dance number? ;D

Sean

Quote from: Haunted hearse on July 06, 2012, 12:15:41 PM

You can do that?  Ignore a film which you can't stand? Thank goodness. If "Twighlight" is on, that means I can pass it by, and not watch it.  What a relief!

;D

I passed up Chicago last night, too.  I opted for 'Night of the Hunter' and then 'On the Waterfront'.  Best double feature I've caught in quite some time!  8)

Fester

Quote from: Sean on July 06, 2012, 12:24:21 PM
I hope I didn't come across as ACTUALLY peeved.  I'm entirely joking around.  I'm glad you talked about the escapism angle.  Funny thing is:  while I was searching for the clip of Sinatra and Kelly to crack on them------I sat here and watched them and said to myself "Geez, they're GOOD". ;)  The dancing performances of all of those people you mentioned are mesmerizing. 

Yep.  Jed Clampett... back when he looked like Sniglets guy, Rich Hall. ;D

As for Plan 9------wasn't the scene where Lugosi was in the water with the octopus a dance number? ;D

Sean, I knew you were joking when you accused me of being lucid, tempered and thoughtful. ;D
I thought that Lugosi & the Octopus part was the love scene . . .  :P

Haunted hearse

Quote from: Sean on July 06, 2012, 12:36:38 PM
;D

I passed up Chicago last night, too.  I opted for 'Night of the Hunter' and then 'On the Waterfront'.  Best double feature I've caught in quite some time!  8)
"Night of the Hunter" was a masterpiece.  It was the only film that Charles Laughton would direct.  "On the Waterfreon has long been acknowledged to be a masterpiece.  Why would you pass up an opportunity to see a film you detest, for two recognized classics?  That would be like me passing on an opportunity to see Tim Burton's "Dark Shadows", in order to watch the two older theatrical films based on the Curtis series.

Dr. Jitters

I remember seeing DEF-CON 4 in the theaters and coming out just shaking my head.  Real stinker.   :blank:

Quote from: Sean on July 06, 2012, 12:24:21 PM
...As for Plan 9------wasn't the scene where Lugosi was in the water with the octopus a dance number? ;D

That was Bride of the Monster, and I'd much rather watch that than most of the other bad ones on this list!

Haunted hearse

Most people aren't aware that "Tomb of the vampire" was not to be Lugosi's next film after "Bride of the Monster", but a muscal romance between Lugosi's scientist and Cthulu.  The title of that musical would have been "Going to the Chapel of Lovecraft".

Sean

Quote from: Haunted hearse on July 06, 2012, 05:00:49 PM
"Night of the Hunter" was a masterpiece.  It was the only film that Charles Laughton would direct.  "On the Waterfreon has long been acknowledged to be a masterpiece.  Why would you pass up an opportunity to see a film you detest, for two recognized classics?  That would be like me passing on an opportunity to see Tim Burton's "Dark Shadows", in order to watch the two older theatrical films based on the Curtis series.

;D

Well, HH, I AM a weirdo. ;D  Seriously, though-------Night of the Hunter was quite unnerving.  I think any film that dabbles in child murder is on another level of horror, so to speak.  That must have been SOME shocker when it came out.  The whole idea creeps me out as I watch it in 2012.

Sean

Quote from: Dr. Jitters on July 06, 2012, 05:09:12 PM
I remember seeing DEF-CON 4 in the theaters and coming out just shaking my head.  Real stinker.   :blank:

That was Bride of the Monster, and I'd much rather watch that than most of the other bad ones on this list!

Darnit!  You're right, Dr. J....  Must be me confabulating Depp's Ed Wood with Wood's Plan 9 again!! ::)

Scatter

Quote from: Haunted hearse on July 06, 2012, 12:15:41 PM

Does the same hold true for "Twilight"?? I sure hope so.
We're all here because we're not all there.
http://www.distinctivedummies.net/index.html