The ’48 Post Frankenstein Mask

Started by monstroza, September 19, 2012, 11:13:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

monstroza

I thought there might be some interest in this so here's a photo of the 1948 Don Post Frankenstein mask I got recently. The pic was taken a few days ago after I lightly stuffed the mask so it could start taking it's proper shape again, it looks better already now. It spent a lot of it's life in a box with a bunch of 1980's Topstone masks where it was found by the seller at an estate sale. They knew nothing more about it nor were there any remnants of the old box or the bolts. I talked to Bob Burns & asked him to tell me all he could remember about the mask as he had one as a kid. He wrote about that experience in his forward to David Lady's 2nd edition mask book.

Some of what he wrote: "The bolts were thin hollow latex and were painted white (not silver). They had a flange on the end that went into the round neck hole. They squeezed the flange and put it through the hole and spread it out after it was in the hole. They were not glued and as a result they would sometimes fall out. There was no hair on the mask. It was just painted on. The clips on the top front were painted white like the bolts and not silver."

There is an oval ink stamping inside the neck but the ink didn't take well so it's very hard to read but I can make out the word Frankenstein at the top of it. In my over 20 years of collecting, buying, selling & making masks, I've never seen anything but old black & white photos of this mask.

agvd

Absolutely stunning.  Thanks for sharing this iconic mask with us.

Kidagain

Fantastic acquisition monstroza, thanks for letting us see this beauty.

kreaturekid

So glad someone on the UMA got this mask. Thanks for sharing the photos with us!
Adam Dougherty

facebook.com/kreaturekid

Mike Scott

I can't believe that isn't a pile of dust (or "goo")! You have a real treasure there, monstroza! Congrats!
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

Toy Ranch

Absolutely amazing.  Congrats on the score, and thanks for posting the pics.

kklloo

kolchak

I am so glad that you got this iconic rarity. Congratulations on an amazing find!

And thanks for posting those great pics

ilikemonsters

Freakin' awesome! I'm glad you got that mask! Please correct me if I'm wrong ,but you make the VXX masks, right?
My favorite masks evah!
Eric

monstroza

Yes, I was once a mask maker long ago. Thanks for remembering.   ;)

poseablemonster

fightinggators

There is no one better to own the '48 Frankenstein's Monster than The Old Mask Maker.  D, I know how much you have wanted this mask.  It is nothing short of a miracle this mask exists and in such remarkable shape.  The stars aligned perfectly with God's blessings for this to happen.  This is The Holy Grail, and it is yours, my friend.  If ever I need a smile I just remember you own this mask. Congratulations on the catch of the century.

Wow, is Frank ever beautiful, live and in unliving color!

raycastile

Congratulations! It is truly a treasure.
Raymond Castile

jimm

What a survivor, congrats...you print out a box yet?

Sean

The condition is incredible, all things considered.  Congrats!