Monster Comics

Started by JMichaelRoddy, July 10, 2009, 07:22:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hepcat

Indeed I do! Here are scans of five of my Spectre comics, the last of which features a Neal Adams cover:

8)
Collecting! It's what I do!

Hepcat

Here are scans of five of my Strange Adventures comics featuring Deadman:

The bottom four have covers by Neal Adams.

8)

Gossamer

Hepcat do have any of the later Spectre series that sported the Charles Vess covers with Tom Mandrake doing the inside art.  Brilliant stuff.  Thank you for posting those classic Adams covers on Deadman.

Hepcat

Quote from: Gossamer on May 31, 2015, 10:59:04 PMHepcat do have any of the later Spectre series that sported the Charles Vess covers with Tom Mandrake doing the inside art.

No, sadly I don't have any of those.

:(

Hepcat

Here are five more of my Silver Age comics featuring the Spectre:

All but the Brave and the Bold cover co-starring the Flash are rendered by Neal Adams.

8)

Hepcat

Here are five more of my Strange Adventures comics featuring Deadman by Neal Adams:

cl:)

Wich2

The Joe Orlando/Michael Fleisher/Jim Aparo SPECTRE series is a classic.

Hepcat

Memphremagog

Ode to the MAN-THING...

DARK SHADOWS:

David Collins: "Dead people dont just get up and walk around.."

Sarah Collins: "Sometimes they do."

horrorhunter

The Mike Ploog Man-Thing was frikkin' awesome, and those Brunner Howard The Duck stories in GS Man-Thing #s 4 & 5 were extremely cool. Makes me want to hitch a ride on the Wayback Machine to the mid '70s and bask in the comic book ambience of spinner racks and comic conventions.  :)
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

Memphremagog

Quote from: horrorhunter on June 19, 2015, 05:25:47 PM
The Mike Ploog Man-Thing was frikkin' awesome, and those Brunner Howard The Duck stories in GS Man-Thing #s 4 & 5 were extremely cool. Makes me want to hitch a ride on the Wayback Machine to the mid '70s and bask in the comic book ambience of spinner racks and comic conventions.  :)

I agree completely! I started my comics collecting 40 years ago this year by collecting the horror/monster comics; DC's GHOSTS, TALES OF THE UNEXPECTED, Marvel's horror characters, WEREWOLF BY NIGHT, MAN-THING, GHOST RIDER, MORBIUS, DRACULA, TALES OF THE ZOMBIE, THE FRANKENSTEIN MONSTER, THE LIVING MUMMY. SON OF SATAN, BROTHER VOODOO and the like. Mike Ploog was a mainstay artist in those days drawing Man-Thing, Ghost Rider, Werewolf and even another of my favorite titles from those days, the PLANET OF THE APES magazine. Great stuff and I love to revisit the stories from back then.
DARK SHADOWS:

horrorhunter

Quote from: Memphremagog on June 19, 2015, 06:13:00 PM
I agree completely! I started my comics collecting 40 years ago this year by collecting the horror/monster comics; DC's GHOSTS, TALES OF THE UNEXPECTED, Marvel's horror characters, WEREWOLF BY NIGHT, MAN-THING, GHOST RIDER, MORBIUS, DRACULA, TALES OF THE ZOMBIE, THE FRANKENSTEIN MONSTER, THE LIVING MUMMY. SON OF SATAN, BROTHER VOODOO and the like. Mike Ploog was a mainstay artist in those days drawing Man-Thing, Ghost Rider, Werewolf and even another of my favorite titles from those days, the PLANET OF THE APES magazine. Great stuff and I love to revisit the stories from back then.
That's quite the cowinkidink! I started collecting in 1975 and my first, and greatest, comic book love has always been the Monster titles. I remember picking up the 1975 Overstreet Comic Book Price guide and marveling at some of those "values". The best thing though was hitting the yard sales, flea markets, and used book stores and stocking up on older monster comics on the cheap and getting to read and savor them. I remember hunting down the Wrightson issues of Swamp Thing with steadfast determination and being so proud when I found them all. Of course in later years I upgraded all that stuff and finished most of those runs like Tomb Of Dracula and Werewolf By Night, but the level of fun I had initially when I was poor and on the hunt was never surpassed.
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

Memphremagog

Quote from: horrorhunter on June 19, 2015, 06:27:55 PM
That's quite the cowinkidink! I started collecting in 1975 and my first, and greatest, comic book love has always been the Monster titles. I remember picking up the 1975 Overstreet Comic Book Price guide and marveling at some of those "values". The best thing though was hitting the yard sales, flea markets, and used book stores and stocking up on older monster comics on the cheap and getting to read and savor them. I remember hunting down the Wrightson issues of Swamp Thing with steadfast determination and being so proud when I found them all. Of course in later years I upgraded all that stuff and finished most of those runs like Tomb Of Dracula and Werewolf By Night, but the level of fun I had initially when I was poor and on the hunt was never surpassed.

Exactly! I got some of the best of the old titles from flea markets and used book stores..I can remember getting great stuff back then: Famous Monsters of Filmland magazines, The Monster Times, and of course, the comics. I can remember the thrill of reading Ghosts or the issue of Werewolf By Night that introduced Moon Knight coming home in the car after getting it at a shop in a local amusement park.  I scored all the back issues of Werewolf and then Morbius in FEAR back then because nobody was interested in them! The same went for Ghost Rider and Man-Thing back in those days..everyone was into Batman and Superman, etc., so it was very easy to pick up multiple issues of these horror titles for cheap. Now they are like finding gold in some areas..
DARK SHADOWS:

Memphremagog

A Morbius Gallery...

One of my all-time favorite characters and bizarre Spider-Man villain

DARK SHADOWS:

Memphremagog

Werewolf By Night gallery

DARK SHADOWS: