What have you been listening to?

Started by Allhallowsday, August 24, 2012, 11:29:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

geezer butler

Quote from: geezer butler on August 01, 2019, 04:13:07 PM
Went to see Iron Maiden in Philadelphia on Tuesday. F*%#ing amazing!!!  >:D
I just arrived back in Detroit today, so I'll post pictures later.

The photos didn't turn out very good. My phone sucks. Or maybe my settings were off. We sat closer than it seems from these images. Anyhow, it was a great show. They played vintage set, so no newer songs. I love when they do that. Maiden f*%#ing rules!

Me and my little bro. I'm one in Bad Brains shirt.
2019-08-04_06-02-53 by geezer2014, on Flickr

2019-08-04_06-03-21 by geezer2014, on Flickr

2019-08-04_06-03-32 by geezer2014, on Flickr

2019-08-04_06-03-42 by geezer2014, on Flickr

2019-08-04_06-03-50 by geezer2014, on Flickr

marsattacks666

Quote from: geezer butler on August 04, 2019, 05:14:26 PM
The photos didn't turn out very good. My phone sucks. Or maybe my settings were off. We sat closer than it seems from these images. Anyhow, it was a great show. They played vintage set, so no newer songs. I love when they do that. Maiden f*%#ing rules!

Me and my little bro. I'm one in Bad Brains shirt.
2019-08-04_06-02-53 by geezer2014, on Flickr

2019-08-04_06-03-21 by geezer2014, on Flickr

2019-08-04_06-03-32 by geezer2014, on Flickr

2019-08-04_06-03-42 by geezer2014, on Flickr

2019-08-04_06-03-50 by geezer2014, on Flickr

Wow! This years Maiden tour is fantastic. Hopefully they come my way. Great photos, Geezzzzz.
    "They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

Mord

The Kinks - Face to Face (deluxe mono remastered cd)

Great album with seven exceptional bonus tracks. John Lydon, himself, claimed Ray Davies was his biggest influence. You can't deny the punk grit of "I'm Not Like Everybody Else". It's been covered by many respected punk bands.

marsattacks666

Alice Cooper- Billion Dollar Babies-1973

"They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

Mord

Quote from: marsattacks666 on August 06, 2019, 01:35:04 PM
Alice Cooper- Billion Dollar Babies-1973

Great album. That's the first Alice tour I saw.

marsattacks666

Quote from: Mord on August 06, 2019, 01:38:52 PM
Great album. That's the first Alice tour I saw.

Wish I could have witnessed and experienced this tour. But alas, I was only eight years old.😔🎃

Mord

Quote from: marsattacks666 on August 06, 2019, 01:51:29 PM
Wish I could have witnessed and experienced this tour. But alas, I was only eight years old.😔🎃
At what age did you get passionate about music, and which was the first cool band you followed?

marsattacks666

Quote from: Mord on August 06, 2019, 06:57:56 PM
  At what age did you get passionate about music, and which was the first cool band you followed?

As far as I can remember, my love for music started at an early age. My Mom said to me, she would watch me play a small child drumset playing(attempting to play)to Her 45s. That was around 1969/1970.

Later on, geez! Probably started when I got a hold of my Mom's copy of the American Graffiti soundtrack. I played that record over-and-over, daily.

Then one night, late, past midnight ironically. I watched the Midnight Special for the first time, and witnessed what would be my insane obsession of the band KI⚡⚡. From there I was drawn-in, corrupted you might say. That television performance blew me away. Before that moment and KISS. I had seen bands on television. Some I liked. But not like what KISS conveyed on stage and on television.

That also lead me to listening to Alice Cooper and other music. Mostly pop rock. My Mom always has music playing in the house and her car. She would listen to Motown, Stax, Elvis and of course 50s and 60s music.

It's difficult to actually recollect the time I became obsessed with music. Nevertheless. That American Graffiti soundtrack and KISS helped with my obsession.
I also blame my Mom. Lol!😜🤘

Mord

Great background story. Good for mom! I probably could have guessed your inspirational band, lol. My dad did the same for me. He was an avid record collector/music fan. He would scour pawn shops for deals and brought him some rock lps for me.

His finds were cheaper than imaginable. I remember him bringing home a stack of sealed Capt. Beefheart lps for 10 cents each. I had never heard of him, but I gave it a shot. Amazing! That shaped my love of dissonant music. I went out of my way to find the most uncommercial sounds possible. If it made the top 40, I wasn't interested.

Funny, I used to watch "Midnight Special", too. There were some really cool bands on that show. There was some special once that featured some little-known band called The Stooges. Wow, that was it. The singer was in the audience rubbing peanut butter on his chest and flipping them off. It was the first time i had seen anyone jump into a crowd (1970 or 71).

After that, I really wasn't impressed much by flashy gimmicks, pyrotechnics,  light shows, etc. They all looked so fake in comparison. Of course, then came Bowie, followed by punk, and post-punk. I could go on, but I'm starting to bore myself.

marsattacks666

Quote from: Mord on August 06, 2019, 10:11:05 PM
  Great background story. Good for mom! I probably could have guessed your inspirational band, lol. My dad did the same for me. He was an avid record collector/music fan. He would scour pawn shops for deals and brought him some rock lps for me.

His finds were cheaper than imaginable. I remember him bringing home a stack of sealed Capt. Beefheart lps for 10 cents each. I had never heard of him, but I gave it a shot. Amazing! That shaped my love of dissonant music. I went out of my way to find the most uncommercial sounds possible. If it made the top 40, I wasn't interested.

Funny, I used to watch "Midnight Special", too. There were some really cool bands on that show. There was some special once that featured some little-known band called The Stooges. Wow, that was it. The singer was in the audience rubbing peanut butter on his chest and flipping them off. It was the first time i had seen anyone jump into a crowd (1970 or 71).

After that, I really wasn't impressed much by flashy gimmicks, pyrotechnics,  light shows, etc. They all looked so fake in comparison. Of course, then came Bowie, followed by punk, and post-punk. I could go on, but I'm starting to bore myself.

Great story, Mord.
Luckily, we both had the famous Tower Records. That was the place to be for vinyl. The import section was incredibly awesome. I recall the first time I found a Sham 69 LP, at Tower. Followed by MOTORHEAD, Sex Pistols....etc.

Oh?! I forgot to mention the News Stand/Magazine section at Tower Records. They not only had music magazines, but also had film magazines. Especially Horror related and a plethora of them.

Okay. Now I fell off the subject.🤡🤘

Mord

Kiss vs New York Dolls (1973) -

Two great albums, back to back. It's the 2nd time listening to NYDs this week. I wanted to play this to recapture the times my brother and I debated "who's better" back in high school. We loved both albums, but he leaned toward Kiss (NYDs for me). I still feel the same, but it was a pleasure rediscovering the first Kiss album. It holds up very well, with "Black Diamond" and "Strutter" being personal faves.

Mord

The Faces - Longplayer

2nd l.p. by the Rod Stewart version of the Small Faces. Great rock album in every way. The first 3 Faces albums were about as good a classic Stones, imo.

Mike Scott

Quote from: Mord on August 07, 2019, 01:59:22 PM
The Faces - Longplayer

I'm a Small Faces and Large Faces and Rod Stewart fan!
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

marsattacks666

Quote from: Mord on August 07, 2019, 12:18:35 PM
Kiss vs New York Dolls (1973) -

Two great albums, back to back. It's the 2nd time listening to NYDs this week. I wanted to play this to recapture the times my brother and I debated "who's better" back in high school. We loved both albums, but he leaned toward Kiss (NYDs for me). I still feel the same, but it was a pleasure rediscovering the first Kiss album. It holds up very well, with "Black Diamond" and "Strutter" being personal faves.

Both LPs are really good. But with KISS' first album I am not a fan of the recording. KISS' first demo, was recorded by Eddie Kramer.....and way better than the s*** recording at Bell Studios by Ritchie Wise amd Kenny Kerner.

Mord

Quote from: Mike Scott on August 07, 2019, 02:32:05 PM
I'm a Small Faces and Large Faces and Rod Stewart fan!

Incredible band! I saw them during the "A Nod is..." tour. They were as incredible as any rock band of that time. Ronnie Wood  blazed thru songs, like a chainsaw thru butter. Like you previously stated, "Stay With Me" Has one of the best guitar intros ever.