Favorite comic book ads

Started by Wicked Lester, March 19, 2011, 05:54:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scary Terry

I think the Moon Monster has been shown in another thread here some time back.  It's a B&W poster.
Scary Terry
www.terrybeatty.blogspot.com

Street Worm

I've seen 2 Moon Monsters-

This one-

& this one-

no info on either one, though~

Wicked Lester

I had the first Moon Monster. It was pretty cool for what it was tho it had heavy creases from being folded up for who knows how long. The freebie "terrifying" masks were pretty cheesy. Basically a cartoony looking monster on heavy paper that you put a string thru to wear. At least that is the version I got. I don't recall what the 4 x 5 photos were.

Therin of Andor

Quote from: Hepcat on March 21, 2011, 11:12:55 AM
Was a Romulan not part of the set?

:o

No, the 8" TOS Mego set had the rare Romulan. When TMP came along, Mego tried two sizes: 3.75" (to compete with "Star Wars") and 12". There weren't any Romulans in TMP, just Klingons and some new UFP races.
Thiptho lapth,

Regards, Ian.

Hepcat

Shameful. It's the Romulans who proved to be the longest standing rival to the Earthings and their Federation of satellite races.

Collecting! It's what I do!

Hepcat

Quote from: CreepysFan on March 21, 2011, 09:46:15 PM

This was the ad that ALWAYS grabbed my attention as a kid, and one i pestered my parents with.  Their responce was to treat me like a gorilla in the Apes movies :  NO,  NO.  Has anyone ever answered this ad, I'd love to know what the Moon Monster actually looked like.

Very cool! Do you remember in which comics it ran or what year it ran? My memory of that specific ad is really vague.

???

Quote from: Street Worm on March 22, 2011, 04:50:27 AM
I've seen 2 Moon Monsters-

This one-

Nice! I like that one.

8)

CreepysFan

Quote from: Hepcat on March 22, 2011, 09:49:18 AM
Very cool! Do you remember in which comics it ran or what year it ran? My memory of that specific ad is really vague.
Mid to late `60's.  It ran in various horror comics like DC's House of Secrets.
" THIS BLANKET IS A NECESSITY.  IT KEEPS ME FROM CRACKING UP." - LINUS VAN PELT

Unknown Primate

My cuz had the first one, too (and the cheesy masks).  He had me highlight it up with Day-Glo paints!
" Perhaps he dimly wonders why, there is no other such as I. "

Therin of Andor

Quote from: Hepcat on March 22, 2011, 09:43:56 AM
Shameful. It's the Romulans who proved to be the longest standing rival to the Earthings and their Federation of satellite races.

As a Romulan supporter, you definitely need to view my Romulan slideshow:
http://photopeach.com/album/17vypjf
Thiptho lapth,

Regards, Ian.

Hepcat

So then Mr. Spock has been a Romulan agent all along!

8)

Hepcat

Quote from: Scary TerryComics used to be chock full of offers to turn the readers into muscle-bound "he-men." What did they think we all were, skinny (or chubby) little nerds? Oh -- wait a minute....

This was the classic muscle builder ad:

;)

CreepysFan

The FRIGHT FACTORY ad from the back of a DOOM PATROL comic.

" THIS BLANKET IS A NECESSITY.  IT KEEPS ME FROM CRACKING UP." - LINUS VAN PELT

ChattyLMS

I forgot about those old comic book ads.  I always wanted the X-ray glasses.  Did anybody else have a mean mom that wouldn't let you get that stuff?
Laura ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Hepcat

Wiser moms maybe!

;)

This long running ad for Sea Monkeys is among the most classic ever:

8)

Therin of Andor

Not a comic ad, but an inside-cover ad in a theatre program for a 60s stage show musical, based on a popular Aussie kids in the mid 60s. I love the hard-sell approach:

Magic Circle Club Barbie ad by Therin of Andor, on Flickr
Thiptho lapth,

Regards, Ian.