Super 7 "Official Universal Monsters Thread"

Started by Remco Wolfman, February 16, 2018, 08:42:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joseph_Baeza

Stick Metaluna Mutant's head, torso and arms in a dress.  I'd still buy 'em!

MonsterBaker666

Still doesn't make any sense to me. 

The Metaluna Mutants pants are in question...Universal could have just changed them on all toys and action figures.  Come one - they apparently say that all Frankenstein monster figures must have green jackets now - so just change the pants (or the belt, if that's the costume problem) on all action figures from here on out.  And can anyone really tell that the pants in the movie look like the pants on the action figure...the ones in the movie look a little metalic or like satin - the action figure pants don't look that way.  So who knows...maybe it's not the pants but that funky belt the mutant wears to hold up those pants. 

What really makes no sense, if I'm understanding whats being discussed correctly, is the notion that there might be a similar problem with the sailcloth suit for The Creature Walks Among Us.  Sounds like it's being said that Universal and / or Super 7 knows there's some problem with that costume, and so Super 7 had a lot invested in creating the figure, so the hurried up to get it out for sale before someone complained and told them to stop selling them  in order to recoup the money they invested in creating the figure.

I don't know, but if I owned the rights to that sailcloth suit, and found out that Super 7 knew about it and manufactured a product using the design I owned, I'd sue the pants off of them...knowingly using something I owned the rights to without paying me for it.

As to someone saying they own the rights to these "costumes"...sounds more like something known as a Nuisance Lawsuit.  Thats a lawsuit people file that really has no legal standing, and companies often pay off on it because it would cost more to hire lawyers and get all documents in order and go to court than it would to pay off the small amount they settle for.  Usually these cases are solved by giving them a few bucks to go away - the company admits no wrong doing and the person who sued signs something saying the amount paid settles all complaints. 

aura of foreboding

Could very well be a nuisance lawsuit.  Could very well be resolved within the next few years.  Doesn't change the fact Universal has pulled the plug.  You would too.

From my understanding of what Shannon said, these two costumes are not necessarily in question directly.  It's not like someone said, "I own the burlap sack, and you need to pay me."  Rather, there is some overarching problem with the wardrobe from the films of this era, and Universal is just being safe with regard to these two characters.   

Just like Universal had to play it safe after the Lugosi lawsuit, after the Chaney lawsuit...  It's not like there's not a precedent here.  Sure, it's a horse of a different color, but Universal is reacting appropriately given the circumstance.     

Mike Scott

Quote from: aura of foreboding on March 15, 2021, 05:38:50 PM
From my understanding of what Shannon said, these two costumes are not necessarily in question directly.

Then why are we talking about them? It's either the pants, or it's something else, or it's the pants and something else! Without a definitive answer, I don't see what there is left to talk about?
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

geezer butler

Quote from: Mike Scott on March 15, 2021, 08:20:41 PM
Then why are we talking about them? It's either the pants, or it's something else, or it's the pants and something else! Without a definitive answer, I don't see what there is left to talk about?

I hear Universal owns the rights to Karloff's Mummy, but not the gauze he was wrapped in.  :laugh:   ;)

aura of foreboding

Quote from: Mike Scott on March 15, 2021, 08:20:41 PM
It's either the pants, or it's something else, or it's the pants and something else!

I inferred it's both. 

Yes, it would be great to know more, but you get what you get!

WookieesLibido

Quote from: VulcansFury on March 12, 2021, 12:29:15 AM
Back on topic

What a saucy little Vulcan this must be, who presumes to dictate to others what the topic of discussion is. Very unlike his species.

I'm glad they got the CWUU and Mutant released before whatever happened, happened.

AndyFish

During my brief flirtation with becoming a lawyer I remember coming across an application Universal had made to trademark the Frankenstein makeup and costume.   It was from many years earlier (and this was the late 80s).   The application was approved for the makeup; flat head, bolts, but rejected for the costume on the basis that you can't trademark a sport jacket and pants-- I don't recall if the shoes didn't make the cut either.

So all of this sounds like a bunch of nonsense.

I went from enthusiastically loving this line to a complete lack of interest.   At $18 a pop plus shipping, and with the trickle release it gives me too much time to contemplate exactly what I'm paying for and that the value just isn't there.

I don't know, maybe after 55 years I'm finally outgrowing toys.

Universalrocks

Do you think this may have to do with Millicent Patrick? She did design the Metaluna Mutant and the Creature. Maybe with the release of the recent book maybe a relative has come forward and is giving Universal some grief.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Mike Scott

Quote from: Universalrocks on March 17, 2021, 11:57:04 AM
Do you think this may have to do with Millicent Patrick? She did design the Metaluna Mutant and the Creature.

Anything Millicent Patrick did for Universal was c. by Universal, not by Patrick. You got paid for the job you did an that was it.
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

MonsterBaker666

Do you think this may have to do with Millicent Patrick? She did design the Metaluna Mutant and the Creature. Maybe with the release of the recent book maybe a relative has come forward and is giving Universal some grief.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

That could be a possibility.  Not sure if any of Ms. Patrick's relatives are still out there.  They could have said they were going to file one of those nuesance lawsuits, BUT that would only apply to the Mutant and not the altered Creature from Creature Walks Among Us, since she was long gone by then. 

Without any type of coroboration or paperwork saying exactly what is in question and why, it's all speculation. 

Joseph_Baeza

Do you think this may have to do with Millicent Patrick? She did design the Metaluna Mutant and the Creature.
Millicent hardly got credit back when she helped design these characters, so I'm sure she would be out of the equation.  If anything, any approvals regarding Mutant pants would have to go through the Westmore family.  After all, Bud did take ALL the credit for what happened in his makeup department. 

Anton Phibes

We got plenty o' Metaluna Mutants anyway these days, boys, and the CWAU is the worst look for ole Creech anyway. So if they never make either again, just take the ones ya got in the sandbox or the bath tub and call it a day. Just make more Werewolf of Londons. Unless somebody comes hollerin' after that smoking robe he wears. ;) ;) ;D 8)

Count Zachula

Quote from: Anton Phibes on March 18, 2021, 08:57:24 PM
We got plenty o' Metaluna Mutants anyway these days, boys, and the CWAU is the worst look for ole Creech anyway. So if they never make either again, just take the ones ya got in the sandbox or the bath tub and call it a day. Just make more Werewolf of Londons. Unless somebody comes hollerin' after that smoking robe he wears. ;) ;) ;D 8)

I take my Sideshow Ygor and DST Mr. Hyde into the bath tub every night. 

Dr.Terror

Universal licensing department sucks.  One year its green jackets, then 6 months of black, then back to green.   Style guide garbage, then out of nowhere a likeness, then more style guide crap for no explainable reason.

The Mego Wolfman follows the style guide, new Frank does not.....does that make any sense???
Morning, noon, or night, Anytime . . . . the count may strike. If you're caught you have to linger, Cause Dracula may bite your finger!