Super 7 "Official Universal Monsters Thread"

Started by Remco Wolfman, February 16, 2018, 08:42:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VulcansFury

Metaluna has been sold out for awhile now. They did a restock on their website last year after he first sold out, but after that refresh sold out he's been gone. Why put old stock on the new stuff's cardback? For the company, it makes more sense to leave him off since he's no longer available, than to leave him pictured and have to answer questions about him.

Mike Scott

Quote from: VulcansFury on December 11, 2020, 11:04:08 AM
it makes more sense to leave him off since he's no longer available, than to leave him pictured and have to answer questions about him.

If you want to see all of them, go to the "Media" S7 folder.  :)
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

aura of foreboding

Quote from: Mike Scott on December 10, 2020, 09:47:15 PM
They did the Metaluna Mutant in Wave 1.

License probably changed between then and Wave 2.  Mutant could have been negotiated on a limited timeframe.

Anton Phibes

Quote from: VulcansFury on December 11, 2020, 11:04:08 AM
Why put old stock on the new stuff's cardback? For the company, it makes more sense to leave him off since he's no longer available, than to leave him pictured and have to answer questions about him.

In your opinion. In mine, it makes sense to leave him there, as the card acts as a checklist for new collectors. So they can know how many characters have been produced.

marsattacks666

Is this the Metaluna, that is being discussed?
    "They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

Mike Scott

Quote from: aura of foreboding on December 11, 2020, 01:14:12 PM
License probably changed between then and Wave 2. 

They only do the characters once (not counting variants). Why would you expect to see the Mutant, again, in a 2nd, or 3rd Wave?
CREATURE FAN

Anton Phibes

This is what I am alluding to with regards to acting as a checklist. This is a vintage Star Wars backer card for a figure from Return of the Jedi. I sincerely doubt you could walk into any store and find every single one of these characters hanging on pegs at the same time. However, it proved beneficial to folks trying to collect every figure released in a series. I think they should've left Mutant on and just plastered "sold out" across him. They have "new" on the CWAU on the back of the card, so it could've been done for Mutant with a "sold out" label. Famous Monsters used to do it with items from Don Post, and even their own back issues. To let folks reference a mask or a character an d know it existed. It's not a big deal, just trying to make conversation, and wondering as to their reasoning. Also if they were mandated to remove him for some reason.  :angel:

Joseph_Baeza

I wholeheartedly agree, Richard.  As a serial completist, I like seeing the entire line of the series on the cards just to know which ones I still need to get my hands on.  The only time this really irritates me is when a figure is pictured, then never gets produced.  I believed this happened with the Bif Bang Pow! TZ Megos and it really bothered me.

Mike Scott

Quote from: Joseph_Baeza on December 11, 2020, 07:17:32 PM
The only time this really irritates me is when a figure is pictured, then never gets produced.

The FUNKO hand puppets (Creature and Frank) who's packaging also promised a future Dracula and a Bride.
CREATURE FAN

fearliath

Quote from: Anton Phibes on December 11, 2020, 02:33:13 PM
In your opinion. In mine, it makes sense to leave him there, as the card acts as a checklist for new collectors. So they can know how many characters have been produced.

Completely agree. On a separate but related note, is the Invisible Man on the back of the CWAU card? (I'd check myself but my CWAU figures have been sitting in some USPS distribution center in Vegas for 2 days). Invisible Man figure has been sold out since very early spring. Never returned. And FWIW the Creature from the Black Lagoon figure itself is sold out right now...

Anton Phibes

Yes, Invisible Man is still featured on the back of the card. I think only the Metaluna Mutant is MIA.

aura of foreboding

Quote from: Mike Scott on December 11, 2020, 06:07:29 PM
They only do the characters once (not counting variants). Why would you expect to see the Mutant, again, in a 2nd, or 3rd Wave?

I know, but, similar to Mr. Hyde and DST, the Mutant could have been something they could produce for a certain time period, so, although they can feature the other characters from S1, they can no longer feature the Mutant.  Just a guess based on what Shannon wrote.  Perhaps Universal altered the UM license between the original series and series 2, and the Mutant is no longer part of the deal?  Just a hypothesis based on the info we have.  Mutant always used to be available in standard UM licensing, but that might have changed with the advent of the now-dead Dark Universe?  Just guesses.  I know nothing. 

Mike Scott

Quote from: aura of foreboding on December 12, 2020, 02:27:53 AM
. . although they can feature the other characters from S1, they can no longer feature the Mutant.

What do you mean by "feature"? If you mean why are they no longer producing the Mutant, it's probably because it just sold out, like some of the other figures.
CREATURE FAN

marsattacks666

What am I missing.  The Metaluna Mutant is readily available on many Toy-related sites.
    "They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."