Super 7 "Official Universal Monsters Thread"

Started by Remco Wolfman, February 16, 2018, 08:42:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Scott

Quote from: BRICK on June 26, 2019, 09:36:52 PM
The set of Universal Monster glasses that Spencer Gifts offered was better (and cheaper).

But that was 4 decades ago! (Can you believe it?)
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

Mord

Quote from: Mike Scott on June 26, 2019, 09:49:06 PM
The Spencer's glasses? That was only a few years ago. Remember, they also had shot glasses.

BRICK

Quote from: Mike Scott on June 26, 2019, 09:49:06 PM

No, I'm not talking about the set with the Metaluna Mutant, I'm talking about the Frankenstein/Bride/Mummy/Creature set (and shot glasses) that came out a few years back.
When times are dark, don't consider art to be merely a distraction; rather, think of it as a lifeline-  Neil Gaiman paraphrase.

Mike Scott

Quote from: BRICK on June 26, 2019, 09:56:37 PM
No, I'm not talking about the set with the Metaluna Mutant, I'm talking about the Frankenstein/Bride/Mummy/Creature set (and shot glasses) that came out a few years back.

Sorry, had my sets mixed up. Yeah, those Spencer's glasses are nice.

Who made those '80s glasses? They were nice and colorful!
CREATURE FAN

Monsters For Sale

Quote from: Mike Scott on June 26, 2019, 10:06:25 PM
Sorry, had my sets mixed up. Yeah, those Spencer's glasses are nice.

Who made those '80s glasses? They were nice and colorful!

Oh, THOSE.  I love those.  Very pretty.

I like them better than the Anchor-Hocking "gas station" glasses.  (I think I am in the minority on this one, too.)

They put me in mind of sitting around on cheap wooden lawn furniture, drinking lemonade on a sweltering summer day.
ADAM

Anton Phibes

Spencer's made those colorful, cartoony, garish glasses in 1980 also. I have a set. The only reason is the nostalgia. My mother had a set when I was 10. So as an adult, they made their way into my collection solely for that reason. I love them, warts and all.

aura of foreboding

The '80s ones are cool in their own right.  I prefer the originals, but I can see why people would like the '80s versions.

Now... these were the glasses we were originally shown...  These would definitely be worth 12 bucks a shot...

Mike Scott

Quote from: aura of foreboding on June 26, 2019, 10:18:55 PM
Now... these were the glasses we were originally shown...  These would definitely be worth 12 bucks a shot...

Yeah, what happened to those?  :(
CREATURE FAN

aura of foreboding

Quote from: Mike Scott on June 26, 2019, 10:34:33 PM

I have no idea.  I know when they lost the Gogos concept, they re-worked some things, but they could still release glasses with the new art. 

TheMadScientist

Yeah, they just a little too Scooby-Dooish for my liking. if I really wanted a Monsters cup, I'd get this tumbler on the official Universal Monsters store: https://shop.universalorlando.com/p/Universal-Studios-Monsters-Tumbler.html

darkmonkeygod

Quote from: Mike Scott on June 26, 2019, 10:34:33 PM

Those weren't "shown" to the public so much as there's little point in expending the effort it takes to keep proof of concept prototypes secret save to prospective wholesale buyers. That we live in an age where you don't have to work in the industry and show up in person at the Javits, yet still get to see potential releases is sadly not perceived as privilege by many. Heck, I thought they were going to use the Gogos art for the action figures, but I'm not bent that they didn't (though id love it if they did a limited run on those cards).

Shannon aka monsieurmonkey on UMA Y!

darkmonkeygod

Quote from: aura of foreboding on June 26, 2019, 11:18:16 PM
I know when they lost the Gogos concept, they re-worked some things...

Detail that for me, please.

aura of foreboding

Quote from: darkmonkeygod on June 27, 2019, 12:33:26 AM
Detail that for me, please.

I was just saying when they no longer went with the Gogos art, they changed up the look of the products from the prototypes:  figure card art, puzzles, etc.  Without Gogos, the glasses had to be changed.   

darkmonkeygod

Quote from: aura of foreboding on June 27, 2019, 01:55:17 AM
I was just saying when they no longer went with the Gogos art, they changed up the look of the products from the prototypes:  figure card art, puzzles, etc.  Without Gogos, the glasses had to be changed.   

Ah, I understand. I though there was some phase of it I missed. Thanks.

VulcansFury

Quote from: Mike Scott on June 26, 2019, 09:44:20 PM
A little too faint. And the AH picture wrapped all the way around the glass.

That's not a background. That's text on the opposite side of the glass. Hard to see on mobile, easier to tell on laptop screen.