Monster Comics

Started by JMichaelRoddy, July 10, 2009, 07:22:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Scott

Quote from: horrorhunter on September 07, 2018, 01:04:46 PM
Gold Key King Kong Giant.

Always loved that cover!  :)  Is there a cover artist mentioned, anywhere?
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

horrorhunter

Quote from: Mike Scott on September 07, 2018, 01:09:08 PM
Always loved that cover!  :)  Is there a cover artist mentioned, anywhere?
George Wilson
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

Mike Scott

CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

horrorhunter

Quote from: Mike Scott on September 07, 2018, 02:26:31 PM
Don't know him, but a good artist!
George Wilson painted a lot of the Gold Key Turok covers in the '60s, including my favorite one- #38.

ALWAYS MONSTERING...

horrorhunter

Death Rattle #1 is posted at Monster Magazine World: https://monstermagazineworld.blogspot.com/

Dig that Corben cover.

ALWAYS MONSTERING...

Wicked Lester

NICE! Corben is one of my all time fave comic book artists.

horrorhunter

eBay purchases:

The Creatures On The Loose #32 finishes the Man-Wolf issues I needed. Just need 2 issues to finish that title. Still pecking away on House Of Mystery and The Witching Hour. Need about 20 issues of HOM to have issues 174-321 (the Mystery/Horror issues) and fortunately they're the later ones so not quite as expensive. Still need about 20 issues of The Witching Hour as well and most of those are later issues. That Godzilla #17 finishes my Marvel Godzilla run. I had the whole run having bought them off-the-rack back in the late '70s but foolishly sold them in the '80s during a "downsizing" move. It's nice to have them back, and mostly in high grade. Marvel's Godzilla is a bit cheezy but if you're a Marvel fan and a G fan it's something you'll want, especially if you bought them new in the '70s.
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

horrorhunter

Gasp! #1 is posted in it's entirety at MONSTER MAGAZINE WORLD: https://monstermagazineworld.blogspot.com/

Here's the cover and some cool ad pages:

ALWAYS MONSTERING...

geezer butler

Quote from: horrorhunter on September 09, 2018, 12:12:43 AM
eBay purchases:

The Creatures On The Loose #32 finishes the Man-Wolf issues I needed. Just need 2 issues to finish that title. Still pecking away on House Of Mystery and The Witching Hour. Need about 20 issues of HOM to have issues 174-321 (the Mystery/Horror issues) and fortunately they're the later ones so not quite as expensive. Still need about 20 issues of The Witching Hour as well and most of those are later issues. That Godzilla #17 finishes my Marvel Godzilla run. I had the whole run having bought them off-the-rack back in the late '70s but foolishly sold them in the '80s during a "downsizing" move. It's nice to have them back, and mostly in high grade. Marvel's Godzilla is a bit cheezy but if you're a Marvel fan and a G fan it's something you'll want, especially if you bought them new in the '70s.

Great pick ups HH. Huge fan of the Marvel Godzilla series. Shogun Warriors another underrated series from Marvel around the same time.

horrorhunter

Quote from: geezer butler on September 13, 2018, 08:30:32 PM
Great pick ups HH. Huge fan of the Marvel Godzilla series. Shogun Warriors another underrated series from Marvel around the same time.
Thanks, man. I'm still pecking away at many of those '70s series trying to finish runs before they get more expensive. Hard to believe those '70s comics are over 40 years old now.  :o
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

geezer butler

Quote from: horrorhunter on September 14, 2018, 12:12:50 PM
Thanks, man. I'm still pecking away at many of those '70s series trying to finish runs before they get more expensive. Hard to believe those '70s comics are over 40 years old now.  :o

Yeah I'm trying to complete my favorite 70s Marvel monster/horror titles too. The Godzilla and Shogun Warriors sets were easy. Shoot, you can find SW issues in the dollar bins. Godzilla pretty affordable too. It's the other series that are more challenging. I try to find issues for less than $10. So that's not easy when it comes to Tomb of Dracula and Werewolf by Night. Comic book stores especially put high sticker prices on those titles. So i try to find issues at used book stores, antique shops etc.

I have more than half of the Werewolf by Night series (including a reader copy of #1). But I'm afraid the first appearance of Moon Knight issue is way out of reach. I probably need 2/3 of the Tomb of Dracula series too. Although I have a reader copy of #1 as well. I need quite a few Ghost Rider issues.

I've had more luck with the less expensive titles like Man-Thing, Morbius (Adventures in Fear), Living Mummy, Monster of Frankenstein, Son of Satan, and Dead of Night. Even some of those titles can cost you a few bucks, depending on the condition.

I do have complete sets of Tales of the Zombie and Monsters Unleashed.

horrorhunter

Quote from: geezer butler on September 15, 2018, 04:37:41 PM
Yeah I'm trying to complete my favorite 70s Marvel monster/horror titles too. The Godzilla and Shogun Warriors sets were easy. Shoot, you can find SW issues in the dollar bins. Godzilla pretty affordable too. It's the other series that are more challenging. I try to find issues for less than $10. So that's not easy when it comes to Tomb of Dracula and Werewolf by Night. Comic book stores especially put high sticker prices on those titles. So i try to find issues at used book stores, antique shops etc.

I have more than half of the Werewolf by Night series (including a reader copy of #1). But I'm afraid the first appearance of Moon Knight issue is way out of reach. I probably need 2/3 of the Tomb of Dracula series too. Although I have a reader copy of #1 as well. I need quite a few Ghost Rider issues.

I've had more luck with the less expensive titles like Man-Thing, Morbius (Adventures in Fear), Living Mummy, Monster of Frankenstein, Son of Satan, and Dead of Night. Even some of those titles can cost you a few bucks, depending on the condition.

I do have complete sets of Tales of the Zombie and Monsters Unleashed.
Awesome that you're making good progress, geezer. I've noticed that many of the lower/mid grade Bronze Age Monster/Horror comics that used to be plentiful in bargain bins are starting to sell more in the $2-$5 range these days on eBay, then you have shipping $ tacked onto that. Keep pluggin' away, dude...that's what I'm doin'.  ;)
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

Wicked Lester

$21 delivered in VF 7.5. Last week. 8)

Pretty stoked to read The Invisible Man. One of my FAVE Uni horror flicks.

And to those that don't consider him a MONSTER. Remember He derailed a train and killed a ton of people.

Wicked Lester

Looks like I double dipped on this. Ignore :angel:

horrorhunter

Quote from: Wicked Lester on September 16, 2018, 06:00:34 AM

$21 delivered in VF 7.5. Last week. 8)

Pretty stoked to read The Invisible Man. One of my FAVE Uni horror flicks.

And to those that don't consider him a MONSTER. Remember He derailed a train and killed a ton of people.
Congrats. Cool mags.

I finally picked these 2 issues up a few weeks ago. I procrastinated for years because they featured reprints from Supernatural Thrillers and other Marvel titles, but after waiting for a decent deal I pulled the trigger. The covers are new and they're monster mags from that magic time in the '70s so they really are must-haves for monster mag collectors. The cover of Masters Of Terror #1 is by the great Gray Morrow after the cover of Supernatural Thrillers #1 by (the also great) Jim Steranko. Bronze Age monster mags are among the coolest collectibles for sure.
ALWAYS MONSTERING...