i can't read in spanish...but it's still a fun book to have

front

back
looking for vhs recordings of tnt's monstervision with joe bob briggs

creaturefan95

Got this for 20 bucks:

Got this for 30 bucks:

horrorhunter

In this day of comic book value-hyping due to movies and TV shows it's a real testament to the quality of Werewolf By Night that it commands a high value among collectors, and specifically to the superior work of Mike Ploog.

Jeez, I'm glad I bought all of those issues years ago when they were cheap. I still have my original copies of Marvel Spotlight #2 and Werewolf By Night #1 that I bought off the spinner rack when I was a kid. I remember for several years all of those '70s monster issues could be found in quarter boxes in varying conditions. I bought most of mine from the cheap boxes in mid-grade and then wisely upgraded most of them before they got expensive. I started collecting in '75 so I purchased a good part of the Tomb Of Dracula run off the racks.

That whole period from late '60s through mid '70s was magic for monster fans who bought comics and mags. It featured a plethora of some of the best monster related publications ever. The prices some of that stuff brings nowadays is scary. Anybody been shopping for a Savage Tales #1 (1st Man-Thing), or House Of Secrets #92 (1st Swamp Thing) lately? Check evilBay and be amazed.
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

creaturefan95

marsattacks666

Quote from: creaturefan95 on April 01, 2017, 09:44:26 PM
Got this for 20 bucks:

Got this for 30 bucks:

Werewolf by Night is such a great comicbook. As is Tomb of Dracula.
    "They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

horrorhunter

Got a great deal on some cool Richard Corben Underground Horror comics as well as a nice copy of Red Circle Sorcery #6 with the classic Gray Morrow vampire cover.

That #1 finishes my Skull run. By the pic I thought that was paper loss on the upper right corner but it turned out to be a printing error. It's actually a pretty nice copy. The seller made the mistake of listing these as auctions with $2.99 minimum bids. I won all of these for minimum bid plus combined shipping. For less widely collected items like Undergrounds and Fanzines from the '60s and early '70s I would only list them as Buy It Nows at near full retail. Serious buyers are out there, they're just less plentiful. On some items it just takes awhile to get a decent price for them. Since most collectors are so obsessed with "key" issues of the latest hot characters featured on movies and TV shows, a lot of the really cool books like vintage Undergrounds and Fanzines get overlooked. A lot of current collectors dropping big money on "keys" don't even know about Undergrounds and Fanzines. Now is a good time to buy that stuff. The window has closed for cheap prices on most nicer vintage comics and monster mags, but not for Undergrounds and Fanzines. Those can still be found very cheaply on eBay if you're patient and use saved searches.
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

horrorhunter

Bernie Wrightson illustration of House Of Mystery caretaker Cain:

A colored version of this was the centerfold of the House Of Mystery "Treasury" edition. I found a coverless copy of that book at a flea market back in the late '70s for a quarter. I kept the centerfold and put it in a poster frame a few years ago. It makes a great poster to hang with the monster stuff. The newsprint has tanned over the years and gives it a cool look. I bought a FN copy of that book from an eBay seller a few years ago for my collection. It's a nice oversized book which reprints some of the best stories from House Of Mystery including work by Neal Adams.

cl:)
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

horrorhunter

FRANK BRUNNER'S 'FEAR'

Frank Brunner has been a long-time artist and illustrator and is well known for his work since the 1960s when he first started submitting fan art to the monster magazines of the times. With influences from Frank Frazetta and Berni Wrightson, Brunner's work is best suited towards fantasy and horror themes.

As an example, presented here is his original art for Marvel's ADVENTURE INTO FEAR #15 (Aug 1973), featuring everybody's favorite muck monster, Man-Thing.

"Frank Brunner Fear #15 Cover Man-Thing Original Art (Marvel, 1973). Frank Brunner's very first Man-Thing work! Here, Man-Thing takes an Adventure Into Fear in the story "From Here To Infinity!" It's a flashback tale to pre-King Kull era Atlantis. This awe-inspiring cover is a flaming masterpiece by Brunner, who signed in the image area on the left, and then again in the lower margin. Created in ink and white paint over graphite on World Color cover stock Bristol board with an image area of 10" x 15". The header, logo, and corner box are all stat paste-ups, with production tape and glue residue. The main image area is lightly toned and in otherwise Excellent condition."

https://monstermagazineworld.blogspot.com/?zx=19f76c9a5f2eb4a7
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

horrorhunter

Classic Wrightson zombie.

I believe this was the cover illustration for an early issue of Comics Buyer's Guide (CBG) back when it was called The Buyer's Guide For Comic Fandom (TBG). I started subscribing to TBG in 1976 and continued to subscribe for years. It was a thick newspaper (tabloid) format that was heavy and took up a lot of room to store in stacks. I still have a few issues of it but threw away most of them. Like everything else I ever got rid of I regret doing that, even though I would be hard pressed now to find the room to store them. Before the internet TBG (later CBG) was THE marketplace for comics and comic related things. It was also a very entertaining read and often contained some damn fine art.
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

horrorhunter

Wrightson original art for House Of Mystery #211:

ALWAYS MONSTERING...

marsattacks666

Quote from: horrorhunter on May 04, 2017, 11:26:21 AM
Wrightson original art for House Of Mystery #211:

Wow, wow!
    "They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

horrorhunter

DELL COMICS' 'GHOST STORIES' NO. 5 ORIGINAL COVER ART

An unknown artist painted this cover for Dell Comics' GHOST STORIES #5 (Jan-Mar 1964). GHOST STORIES had a fairly long run (37 issues) and, in general, was an entertaining title. Readers wouldn't see the blood, gore, irony, or revenge like in horror comics a decade before, but in their place were stories that relied instead on suspense and atmosphere.

Each issue's cover featured a shrouded skeleton "ghost" and early numbers featured the excellent artwork of Gerald "Jerry" McCann (1916-1995), a largely unsung comic book illustrator who was lauded by the great Everett Raymond Kinstler. McCann is probably best known for his western art, whose style is reminiscent of Charles M. Russell.

This cover painting was done in mixed media and has an overall image area of 11.75" x 17.5".

BONUS: GHOST STORIES #5 complete issue!

Read the whole issue at MONSTER MAGAZINE WORLD: https://monstermagazineworld.blogspot.com/?zx=a861ff412e76dc72
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

horrorhunter

'WITCHES TALES' ORIGINAL COVER ART

This original WITCHES TALES cover art by Lee Elias is augmented with recreations of the title, header and side margins. Elias (1920-1998) was a prolific comic book artist whose covers for Harvey's horror titles have become legendary for their outrageous depictions of terrifying imagery.

Lee Elias Witches Tales #24 Cover Original Art (Harvey, 1954). Even the dead fear... "The Undertaker". Creepy and spooky... just as you like it. This cover has a wonderful use of shadows and lighting to set up a chilling image that makes you surprisingly sympathetic to the corpse! Created in ink over graphite on Bristol board with an image area of 10.5" x 15.5". The logo, header, and side margins are all modern recreations. The original art image area measures 10.5" x 10". The "City Morgue" sign is an original hand-lettered paste-up with a touch of glue residue near it. Overall in Very Good condition.

https://monstermagazineworld.blogspot.com/?zx=2a015068dc110e6a
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

horrorhunter

Cool new book I'll probably be seeking:

Just ordered one from Barnes & Noble via eBay. Here's the link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Masters-of-Spanish-Comic-Book-Art-by-David-Roach-2017-Hardcover-/302287107685?hash=item4661b73665:g:rWYAAOSw4A5YsuF~
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

marsattacks666