Monster Comics

Started by JMichaelRoddy, July 10, 2009, 07:22:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

creaturefan95

I got these seven comics for five bucks each:

horrorhunter

The Redondo Swamp Things are cool. He had some tough shoes to fill following Wrightson, and he ended up doing an admirable job.

The original Swamp Thing title was just ending when I started collecting comics and religiously buying new ones off the stands. The first Swamp Thing I bought new was #23 and then it ended with that lousy #24. They tried to superhero it up and it crashed and burned. That was a sad comedown considering how good it was a couple of years earlier with the Wrightson issues. But, like I said, I thought the Redondo issues in the teens weren't bad.
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

geezer butler

Just picked up this interesting collection:

2016-07-02_06-56-51 by geezer2014, on Flickr

geezer butler

IDW just put out this really cool over-sized comic book:

2016-07-02_06-57-11 by geezer2014, on Flickr

2016-07-02_06-57-01 by geezer2014, on Flickr

horrorhunter

Quote from: geezer butler on July 02, 2016, 06:27:38 PM
IDW just put out this really cool over-sized comic book:
Dude, that's really cool.  8)

I still have most of my Treasuries from the '70s including Superman Vs. Spider-man, Superman Vs. Muhammed Ali (Neal Adams), House Of Mystery, and the early Marvel Treasuries. I thought about posting them but they're too big for my scanner.  ::)
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

geezer butler

More Marvel super hero horror crossovers:

2016-07-24_08-34-18 by geezer2014, on Flickr

2016-07-24_08-34-29 by geezer2014, on Flickr

2016-07-24_08-36-18 by geezer2014, on Flickr

2016-07-24_08-36-29 by geezer2014, on Flickr

horrorhunter

Quote from: geezer butler on July 24, 2016, 08:01:47 PM
More Marvel super hero horror crossovers:
I decided to stop collecting most superhero comics about a decade ago and focus mainly on monster oriented comics. I'm keeping a few superhero comics like Silver Surfer 1-18, the Surfer FF appearances (48-50 and up), Avengers Kree-Skrull War issues (Neal Adams), and some others. I pulled all of the Marvel monster character appearances in superhero books to keep. I have full runs of Marvel Team-Up, Two-In-One, and similar titles, and I pulled any monster character appearances to keep, along with monster appearances in mainstream superhero books from the '70s back. I've been selling a few more expensive superhero books on eBay, but I'm hanging on to anything worth less than around $60 to sell down the road in my retirement. At some point I'll probably run a little collectibles store out of an indoor flea market to generate some income.

But, I'm keeping all of my monster comics. When I moved a few years ago I discovered I just had too many comics and I was burned out on superheroes in general. I'll have around 10K comics to sell over the years, including some nice Silver and Bronze. That makes my collection a lot more manageable, and allows me to focus on my favorite stuff- monsters. I'm mainly a monster magazine guy anyway. I ended up with about 3K monster mags and 4K comics, but it's all stuff I really enjoy, and it's all in Mylar/acid-free boards and acid-free boxes.

Would anyone else like to share any info about their comic book collections including future plans? We would like to read about them.
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

geezer butler

Quote from: horrorhunter on July 24, 2016, 09:54:52 PM
I decided to stop collecting most superhero comics about a decade ago and focus mainly on monster oriented comics. I'm keeping a few superhero comics like Silver Surfer 1-18, the Surfer FF appearances (48-50 and up), Avengers Kree-Skrull War issues (Neal Adams), and some others. I pulled all of the Marvel monster character appearances in superhero books to keep. I have full runs of Marvel Team-Up, Two-In-One, and similar titles, and I pulled any monster character appearances to keep, along with monster appearances in mainstream superhero books from the '70s back. I've been selling a few more expensive superhero books on eBay, but I'm hanging on to anything worth less than around $60 to sell down the road in my retirement. At some point I'll probably run a little collectibles store out of an indoor flea market to generate some income.

But, I'm keeping all of my monster comics. When I moved a few years ago I discovered I just had too many comics and I was burned out on superheroes in general. I'll have around 10K comics to sell over the years, including some nice Silver and Bronze. That makes my collection a lot more manageable, and allows me to focus on my favorite stuff- monsters. I'm mainly a monster magazine guy anyway. I ended up with about 3K monster mags and 4K comics, but it's all stuff I really enjoy, and it's all in Mylar/acid-free boards and acid-free boxes.

Would anyone else like to share any info about their comic book collections including future plans? We would like to read about them.

Yeah I'm trying to figure out my comic book collecting status right now. Several years ago I either traded, gave away or sold most of my super-hero comics. I kept a long box of horror comics and a short box of super-hero titles. Then 4 or 5 years ago DC launched the 'new 52' line. The line included several horror titles like Swamp Thing, I Vampire, Frankenstein, Resurrection Man, Demon Knights among others. I thought that was cool and started reading these books. Well they get their hooks into you by crossing over the horror stories with the super-hero titles. So next thing you know I'm buying Justice League, Aquaman and whatever, in order to keep up with various storylines. Didn't take long before I thought "You know what, I'd like to read the other Batman stories, Superman stories etc." At one point I was pulling like 24 DC titles each week! I had to back off my collectibles because I was spending so much on comic books.  DC canceled all their horror titles so I'm down to like a dozen titles in my pull box. But anyhow, I'm moving---relocating to new state actually, so I think this maybe time to rethink this and shut down buying new titles and concentrate on finishing sets of older horror books like Swamp Thing, Tomb of Dracula, Ghost Rider et al.

horrorhunter

Quote from: geezer butler on July 25, 2016, 08:52:24 PM
I think this maybe time to rethink this and shut down buying new titles and concentrate on finishing sets of older horror books like Swamp Thing, Tomb of Dracula, Ghost Rider et al.
That's exactly what I started doing several years ago for the most part. The only new comics I was buying were monster oriented books and anything Conan related. I don't buy new comics now at all. I have full runs of most of the monster titles from the '70s like TOD and WBN, and 90% of some titles like House Of Mystery and House Of Secrets. I also have full runs of Gorgo and Konga from the '60s as well as several other different Charlton Horror comics from the '60s and '70s. Most of the superhero comics I ended up keeping are certain short titles, story arcs, and artist issues (love anything Wrightson or Adams), as well as monster character crossovers. I still plan to pick up a few things as time goes on but I much prefer putting my comic book money into back issues I need as opposed to buying new books. Cool back issues can often be had for less than new comics, if you buy in lots sometimes MUCH less.

Older comics in mid-grade are still affordable for the most part but I believe this will gradually change as the supply continues to dry up. Just like monster comics from the '70s went from quarter boxes to being fairly expensive depending on grade I believe even mid and lower grade books will continue to rise in price over the next few years. If you buy the older books now instead of those new comics you'll be much better off in a few years when those older books will be trading for much more, and the new comics of today will be trading for much less.
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

creaturefan95

I got this for 15 bucks:

marsattacks666

"They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

Gory Glenn

Found this image of some old 1964 Dell Universal Monsters comics.