Monster Comics

Started by JMichaelRoddy, July 10, 2009, 07:22:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hepcat

Here are scans of three Bronze Age Detective Comics covers with supernatural themes:

cl:)
Collecting! It's what I do!

geezer butler

Great stuff Hepcat, thanks for posting.

geezer butler

Picked this up on ebay the other day:

2016-05-01_08-45-28 by geezer2014, on Flickr

horrorhunter

That Ghosts Digest reminded me of a similar comic from my collection, Shocking Tales Digest Magazine (Harvey, 1981). It reprints horror comic stories from 1957-1958 by Jack Kirby and Bob Powell. This pic is off the net.

ALWAYS MONSTERING...

creaturefan95

This is my second-ever pre-code horror purchase and also my second comic of this age that has now become detached from its cover. Oh well, at least it only cost me a buck to own and it is 63 years old after all.

creaturefan95

Hepcat

Quote from: creaturefan95 on May 09, 2016, 11:35:59 AMThis is my second-ever pre-code horror purchase and also my second comic of this age that has now become detached from its cover. Oh well, at least it only cost me a buck to own and it is 63 years old after all.

A legitimate historical relic!

;)

horrorhunter

Here are scans of the first 5 issues of my Charlton Gorgo run beginning in 1961:

ALWAYS MONSTERING...

horrorhunter

Tomb Of Dracula #s 1-5 from my collection:

ALWAYS MONSTERING...

geezer butler

Awesome Tomb of Dracula collection! After Godzilla and Universal Monsters, Marvel Horror prob my third fav category to collect.

geezer butler

I really dig these mini-comic books from back in the day. Picked this up at Comic-con over the weekend.

2016-05-17_11-42-19 by geezer2014, on Flickr

horrorhunter

Quote from: geezer butler on May 17, 2016, 10:50:24 PM
Awesome Tomb of Dracula collection! After Godzilla and Universal Monsters, Marvel Horror prob my third fav category to collect.
Thanks. I completed those Marvel monster titles several years ago when they were inexpensive. I love them, and I'm really glad I bought them when they were more affordable.  ;)

I bought TOD #s 40-70 off the newsstands/spinner racks.
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

Hepcat

Quote from: horrorhunter on May 17, 2016, 03:02:13 PM
Here are scans of the first 5 issues of my Charlton Gorgo run beginning in 1961:

Two of my favourite Gorgo covers!

Hepcat

Quote from: geezer butler on May 17, 2016, 10:52:35 PMI really dig these mini-comic books from back in the day. Picked this up at Comic-con over the weekend.

Cool! Joe Kubert artwork!

Those comic digests were completely overlooked as a collectible until the past five to ten years or so.

8)

horrorhunter

Quote from: Hepcat on May 18, 2016, 08:48:03 AM
Two of my favourite Gorgo covers!

Mine as well.  :)

I thought about going for high grade on the Gorgo and Konga runs because I like them so much, but the time and expense involved in completing runs in VF or better for those two titles would be daunting. Chances are when a person would find Gorgo and Konga issues in high grade they would be slabbed and cost 10-30 times what the same issue would be in mid-grade, and it could take a VERY long time to put together high grade runs even if one were willing to spend the thousands of dollars to do so. I decided to put those resources toward other areas of my collection and be happy with nice mid-grade copies.

Those high res scans exaggerate every flaw, so the books look much better in hand. That Gorgo #1 is in FN and looks pretty nice in person. Considering it's difficult to find issues of Gorgo/Konga in better than low grade (especially early issues) I'm happy with my mid-grade runs (some of the later issues are around VF). Mid-grade books take a hit from some collectors but there is something to be said for wear that speaks to the history of the enjoyment the book has given to readers over the years (Monsterkids). Also, mid-grade books can be handled carefully with no fear of damage. Like anyone else I prefer high grade, but on some books the difference in price is more than it's worth to me.
ALWAYS MONSTERING...