New Universal Monsters Comic Book Series'

Started by Mcfly22, July 14, 2023, 08:52:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fearliath

Quote from: darkmonkeygod on April 29, 2024, 04:20:38 PMWow, kudos on going all in! I too plan on purchasing the Adams Action Figures & Comics cover. They style or art really appeals to me. Perhaps message the comic chip via their facebook page. I did and Adam thought he'd have them available on Tuesday (tomorrow) and said he would message me.

Ah, that's me typing without looking at the auto-correct. It should read "BEYOND stock held back...", meaning that they set aside some copies to be sold at the convention. I've corrected it.

Did you ever determine if you got the 1:100 and 1:75? I realize now I forgot to take a photo of them.

I don't have any social media so I'll have to just pay attention to their website.

I was worried you meant they were holding back additional variant covers to release at SDCC.

The 1:75 and 1:100 are definitely different. Not THAT much different, but there is a difference.

darkmonkeygod

Here's a fun, one-of-a-kind example of the use of Cover H, the Blank Sketch Cover.

Posted by Eric Powell of The Goon fame (who previously illustrated the Creature on the cover of Universal Monsters: Calvacade of Horror, the 2006 trade paperback collecting Dark Horse Comics' Universal Monsters comics), I believe he did this for a fan at C2E2 this past weekend.

Just to be clear, that an ink drawing done directly onto the white cover. You can see why those blank covers have become so popular among the convention going crowd.

And just for fun, here's the original Universal Monsters: Calvacade of Horror cover painting followed by how it appears in print on the actual book. Sadly, I don't own the painting, just an image of it I've kept because I've always liked how wonky it is.

Shannon aka monsieurmonkey on UMA Y!

Mike Scott

Quote from: fearliath on April 29, 2024, 04:40:53 PMThe 1:75 and 1:100 are definitely different.

Which ones are 1:100 and 1:75? Artist?
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

Mike Scott

Quote from: darkmonkeygod on April 29, 2024, 06:05:58 PMHere's a fun, one-of-a-kind example of the use of Cover H, the Blank Sketch Cover.

I saw another one on eBay. Wasn't as nice as this one, though.
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

Rex fury

Quote from: darkmonkeygod on April 29, 2024, 01:35:49 PMOh, I hear ya. I was based in Portland for about 20 years, and was always flying out or driving up or down for one show or another. I've actually never attended a ReedPop Chicago show, but have attended several of their NYC shows.

As far as a truly comic book focused show, I love HeroesCon in Charlotte, NC, put on these last 44 years by Heroes Aren't Hard To Find shop owner Shelton Drum. The Baltimore Comic-Con in Maryland is a great show, maybe more-so than others if your making such a trek. NYCC is expensive but filled with all the things and, of course, San Diego Comic-Con is the big one. I did twenty of those over my time in the industry, and always as a professional. As amazing of a show as it is, I've always viewed the public's experience as grueling. I have been very curious about the San Diego Comic Fest which, while much smaller, is a comic book show, though tilted toward creators, I believe.

Do you collect comic art? I'm super curious about the comic book art shows that have popped up, and have heard great things about the recent Orlando show and the continuing L.A. and NYC shows.

Well we undoubtedly crossed paths at some time all those years ago! I attended SDCC back when it was still held at the Coronado. Finally, by 1993, it had evolved a little too much for my tastes. I used to go to all the Portland shows. As I recall a lot of them were sponsored by Richard Finn ( I may be miss-remembering this) and they were fun!

I don't really collect original art, so I'm no help on how those shows are to attend.

Thanks for the suggestions! Heroes Con is on my radar; I may give that show a try. My daughters getting involved with the business through her art school in Cincinnati, so I'm going to help her out at a show there next September.
RF

darkmonkeygod

Quote from: Rex fury on April 29, 2024, 06:48:46 PMWell we undoubtedly crossed paths at some time all those years ago! I attended SDCC back when it was still held at the Coronado. Finally, by 1993, it had evolved a little too much for my tastes. I used to go to all the Portland shows. As I recall a lot of them were sponsored by Richard Finn ( I may be miss-remembering this) and they were fun!

Oh yes, Richard's shows were always fun, and Second Genesis was a cool store. These days Rose City Comic Con is the big Portland show.

QuoteThanks for the suggestions! Heroes Con is on my radar; I may give that show a try. My daughters getting involved with the business through her art school in Cincinnati, so I'm going to help her out at a show there next September.
RF

That's fun! Which school in Cinci?

darkmonkeygod

Quote from: Mike Scott on April 29, 2024, 06:22:12 PMWhich ones are 1:100 and 1:75? Artist?

Those are the Alex Ross pencil covers, one of which is on foil.

Rex fury

Quote from: darkmonkeygod on April 29, 2024, 07:24:47 PMOh yes, Richard's shows were always fun, and Second Genesis was a cool store. These days Rose City Comic Con is the big Portland show.

That's fun! Which school in Cinci?

The Art Academy of Cincinnati
She got a scholarship there!
RF

darkmonkeygod

Hey fearliath,

For some reason I still can't PM you:

I just had a messenger exchange with Adam about publicizing his edition here on the UMA and he told me he would let me know when they're up on his site.

I've been refreshing the Sienkiewicz and checking my email off and on most of the day and haven't seen anything as yet.

fearliath

Quote from: darkmonkeygod on April 30, 2024, 02:55:56 PMHey fearliath,

I've been refreshing the Sienkiewicz and checking my email off and on most of the day and haven't seen anything as yet.

I've been doing the same thing and I have to go to my kids track meet soon so I'll probably miss when it goes live.

darkmonkeygod

Quote from: fearliath on April 30, 2024, 03:04:18 PMI've been doing the same thing and I have to go to my kids track meet soon so I'll probably miss when it goes live.

While popular, Sienkiewicz isn't a super "hot" artist, so hopefully there will be some available. I take it you don't have a smart phone (or don't wanna bury your nose in it while real life happens right in front of you)?

fearliath

I have a smart phone but I can't monitor it at a track meet. In my office I just have it up on a 3rd monitor.

darkmonkeygod

Well, if the Sienkiewicz cover ever went up for sale, I missed it entirely. The WEBSITE still reads "goes on sale Tuesday 4/30—join the waitlist" but 30 April has come and gone across the globe. Perhaps it has been delayed rather than selling out in the blink of an eye  without notification to the waitlist?

Adam from Adam's Action Figures & Comics got in touch with me via Facebook Messenger and sent me a PayPal invoice for one each of his exclusive covers, drawn by Tonči Zonjić. I bought both because he was kind enough to make the effort and offer, and I really do love the image and art style. Turns out Zonjić is Croatian and credits fellow Croatian artists Edvin Biuković and Darko Macan - two artists whose work I adore - with his interest in comics and even worked with Macan (Biuković died far too young, sadly).

Anyway, I told Adam I would publicize that he has copies of his exclusive available and he thanked me, but it doesn't look like he's updated his website as yet. Perhaps email him at the email listed on his stores fb page: adamsabol7(*at*)netzero.net

fearliath

I never saw the Sienkiewicz cover post and I never got an email that my waitlist slot was ready.

Update: I called Adam and sent him my Paypal to purchase both covers.

I wish it wasn't so challenging to get these covers.

darkmonkeygod

Quote from: fearliath on May 01, 2024, 01:09:11 PMI wish it wasn't so challenging to get these covers.

Yeah, while I've admittedly not been as close to the industry in a while, I'm pretty shocked not so much by the hoops people have to jump through for the manufactured scarcity of "exclusives", but by the lack of clear messaging about them. Particularly for a licensed item, as the publisher is ultimately responsible to the licensor for representing them. I've got to wonder if Universal is going to get any complaints from people who aren't as familiar with the ins and outs of collectibles.