MASK-FEST Updates and Photos

Started by fmofmpls, March 26, 2010, 02:56:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fmofmpls

I sure wish I was in Indianapolis right now! I don't think I've wished for such a thing before :D. But this weekend is unlike any other time spent in Indianapolis. It's Mask-Fest time. I may not be there, but a good portion of the UMA is; including the Toy Tour exhibit.

Let's see some pics and here some updates as the weekend unfolds!

Bring it on.
The Famous Monster of Mpls.  Sayer of the law.

typhooforme

My cuz Sara/vpdogjoe and I are back from an afternoon/evening at HorrorHound/Maskfest, and we had a GREAT time.  Had some supper with Jeff and Raymond and Andy (and his wife and little one), and Miss Drac, which was the first time the UMA display-builders had had a chance to sit and rest and have some food and drink. 

When we went to the MaskFest section (we had early-bird tickets, so we got in an hour ahead of regular opening and enjoyed the relative freedom of wandering around and looking at the bazillion beautiful masks without being trampled or elbowed too much (later in the day, the crowds were pretty--um--crowded).  My first aim was to head for our pal Danny Roebuck's table to meet and greet him.  What a great guy he is--he is your pal, your brother AT ONCE--just as he always is here on the UMA board.  Here I am with Danny and my cuz Sara:

And here are some of the masks I admired.  I regret these weren't labeled, so I can't attribute them to the correct makers.  I'm sure someone will come on here and fill us in.   But these--my gosh, I would surely love to have brought them ALL home:

Robert in Ohio

"I don't care what they do, so long as they don't do it in the streets and frighten the horses."   Mrs. Patrick Campbell

typhooforme

It was great to see the UMA display again--it always looks wonderful--and here are three of the reasons why.  They worked from, I dunno, like 2:00 a.m. until 4:00 the next afternoon.  I don't know when they sleep, IF they ever sleep.  Not pictured is Elizabeth Haney who was out of the area at this moment--but here's Jeff and Andy and Raymond:

And here is some of the UMA display--I managed to get about 2/3 of it photographed:

Robert in Ohio

"I don't care what they do, so long as they don't do it in the streets and frighten the horses."   Mrs. Patrick Campbell

monsterphile

Quote from: typhooforme on March 27, 2010, 02:52:30 AM

You usually see a line up like this behind a two-way mirror at the police station.

Actually, thanks everyone who did a mountain of work in such a short time.    Thanks Robert for the update.  It does look like a great time.

Rob

typhooforme

More UMA display pics.  You could stand in front of any of the windows and study and admire and reminisce the hours away, and folks did.  I was sitting in front of the display at one point and a sightseer asked me a dozen questions that I fielded as well as I could--fortunately, he was asking me about a Karloff photo, so I did have some info to share.  I love watching people wander by--and then get attracted as if by a powerful magnet and plant themselves in front of the display in obvious wonderment!

Here's part of the display I think was way cool, and I want to single out Elizabeth Haney, who came up with the mannequins that allowed these vintage costumes (I believe these are from Raymond's collection) to be fully displayed as if they were being worn.  How many of us wore one of these, or one like 'em?  Talk about nostalgia!  Talk about RARE!
Robert in Ohio

typhooforme

Finally, let me show a couple "people" photos.  I ran into a lot of folks I know--standing in line I was with my friend Donnie Waddell, whom a lot of you Wonderfest fans may know.  And then my old college buddy Rog and his wife Anne showed up, and their daughter Jen who is my "adopted" niece--and she had with her her little Will, who was celebrating his first birthday today by becoming a MONSTER KID the right way, by seeing the monsters and creatures up close and personal.  Friends Penny Dreadful and her faithful wolf-companion Garou walked up, and little Will really took to that werewolf!  Jen got photos, and I'll get 'em from her to show you.  I'm proud of my great-nephew's early fan fun!  Oh, and toward the last, I ran into our UMA friend Anton Phibes and his little autograph-collecting boy (talked to them last Fall at the HorrorHound held in Cincinnati).  This year the young'un's autograph binder has grown--he has 21 signed photos now!  I know this is true, as he counted them in front of me so I could report the facts!  This was a great photo-op, and I didn't have the  sense to take advantage of it!

I did get a couple other pics, though.  Here's our favorite monster poet, UMA member Miss Drac:

I was asked to get a Tom Noonan autograph by UMA pal monsterphile, and I'm sure glad he made that request.  One of the nicest celebs at HorrorHound (and there were a ton of friendly folks there) was Mr. Noonan.  I was proud to get a pic taken with him.  Not only the MONSTER SQUAD Frankenstein monster, but a human monster and a great favorite of mine, he also played Francis Dollarhyde in MANHUNTER, the first version of RED DRAGON.

I got a huge surprise at the con.  I was at the dinner table when I was told that as soon as I finished my meal, would I please go back to the UMA display, as I was going to be interviewed by J. Michael Roddy for his Monster Kid film project.  And I did it--he's a great interviewer--and I hope I didn't say anything to stupid and that some of my words will make it to the final cut.  here's Michael getting the camera prepared.  I was sitting there saying, "I'm ready for my close-up, Mr. DeMille..."

And finally--this character!  What evil lurks behind the mask, you ask?  Film-maker, writer, collector, and UMA Central Command member Raymond Castile walked away looking like Ray and wandered back looking like this.  I don't know how it happened, but I got a photo just to prove I wasn't hallucinating:
Robert in Ohio

Unknown Primate

Thanks for the update & pics, Robert!  Was planning on going Saturday, but some family issues came up, so it looks like I won't make it till Sunday.  Hope I don't miss too much, and certainly hope the UMA gang is still there!
" Perhaps he dimly wonders why, there is no other such as I. "

fmofmpls

Thank you Robert for the wonderful pics! I wish I could say it was just like being there, but I'm afraid it's not. Sigh. Oh well, I'm already packing my bags for Louisville.

Sure appreciate the pics and updates that any of you can provide! Keep 'em coming please!

Brokenhearted and landlocked in Mpls. 
The Famous Monster of Mpls.  Sayer of the law.

typhooforme

Although I didn't get photos (I'm counting on my niece Jen's photography, but she is still at the con), I also had a good time talking to Bill Malone.  I had wanted too see if he could tell me anything about the Metropolis robotrix head I got from Forry's estate--and we had a great talk about it--it turns out, the robotrix head I have is THE head Bill sculpted, and the head that is on the full-sized figure (the body of which Bill created) was made by someone else!  So how about that!  I have the original Malone/Forry/Metropolis piece!  Also very much enjoyed seeing Elvira, gorgeous as always, and with a long long line of fans every hour of the day clamoring to see her, and Sid Haig, who is a hoot and great fun, though not in the same way Elvira is!  And the hotel has an excellent bar and dining room (I recommend the fish & chips if you are still heading there!).
Robert in Ohio

Toy Ranch

Toy Ranch

charp13

This is just great! The UMA display is so beautiful! You guys are amazing artists with tons of imagination, I am also planning on going to Louisville,so I will volunteer to be a worker bee in any capacity. I feel so proud to know the UMA and I can't wait to go to a monster show! Thanks for putting up all the pictures online. These images are awesome!!!

Toy Ranch

Quote from: charp13 on March 28, 2010, 02:20:17 PM
This is just great! The UMA display is so beautiful! You guys are amazing artists with tons of imagination, I am also planning on going to Louisville,so I will volunteer to be a worker bee in any capacity. I feel so proud to know the UMA and I can't wait to go to a monster show! Thanks for putting up all the pictures online. These images are awesome!!!

Stop by at Wonderfest, introduce yourself, and I'm sure there's plenty you can do to help.  Thanks!

marsattacks666

Quote from: typhooforme on March 27, 2010, 02:52:30 AM
It was great to see the UMA display again--it always looks wonderful--and here are three of the reasons why.  They worked from, I dunno, like 2:00 a.m. until 4:00 the next afternoon.  I don't know when they sleep, IF they ever sleep.  Not pictured is Elizabeth Haney who was out of the area at this moment--but here's Jeff and Andy and Raymond:

And here is some of the UMA display--I managed to get about 2/3 of it photographed:

Those are some nice photos and displays!!!!!!!
    "They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

BaronLatos35

Great pics, thanks for posting!

I would love to see the UMA display one day...
"For one who has lived but a single lifetime, you are a wise man ...Van Helsing."
"I shall awaken memories of love and crime and death..."