GUESTBOOK New Members Sign In Here - We are who we are!

Started by gracebuster, January 02, 2008, 06:47:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Count_Zirock

Quote from: henjin on July 13, 2011, 10:09:30 PM
How do you do? I reek of new member smell.
Nice ink! How long did you have to sit for that Bride tat?
"That's either a very ugly woman or a very pretty monster." - Lou Costello

SeptimusPretorius

Do you like gin? It's my only weakness.

http://www.thehorrorhospitalofdrpretorius.com/

henjin

Quote from: Count_Zirock on July 16, 2011, 04:43:12 AM
Nice ink! How long did you have to sit for that Bride tat?

Thanks, she was about 4 hours of torture.

hellboyfan

Hah! Creepysfan is a Zacherley fan too! Coooool!  ;D
James
"...to a new world of gods and monsters!"

Scatter

Quote from: hellboyfan on July 16, 2011, 11:03:23 PM

Hey, don't leave me out of the fan club!!
We're all here because we're not all there.
http://www.distinctivedummies.net/index.html

CreepysFan

Quote from: hellboyfan on July 16, 2011, 11:03:23 PM

Better believe it, Zacherle ROCKS. 
" THIS BLANKET IS A NECESSITY.  IT KEEPS ME FROM CRACKING UP." - LINUS VAN PELT

60sThru80s

I'm a 49-year-old Monster Kid whose monster-roots and happiest monster memories were laid down in the mid-1960s to early 1970s. And thanks in advance for indulging me. There's no way I can come across as anything other than an "old fogey"   :-[
Even pre-internet and pre-DVD, the whole culture of those formative 60s-70s monster-years was SATURATED and dripping with monsters, haunted houses, dinosaurs, and outer-space mystery. The first Apollo moon landing which we watched live late-night didn't find monsters on the moon like in a "Lost in Space" episode, so my brother and I in our wisdom decided to go back to bed! But what kid wouldn't have gone ape in that kind of unbounded monster/spook/outer space-era?

Thank you Aurora Models and Testors paints, thank you Famous Monsters of Filmland and gentle Punning Prince Ackerman, thank you Chilllleeerrr Theater on WPIX-TV out of NYC (8 pm, which was midnight to me at that age), thank you "The Creep" and Creature Features on WNEW-TV out of NYC. Thank you Fright Night on WOR-TV out of NYC.
Thank you "Goop" makers for your Motorized Monster-Maker plastic moulds and mechanical wind-up bodies and too-dangerous-for-kids-today hot metal  trays and heaters (remember dipping the trays hot in the cold water to cool them down??? "WOW! I'm really Dr. Frankenstein!")
Thank you Denis Gifford for "Pictorial History of Horror Movies" whose book hit the store shelves and my hungry little mitts at precisely the right time to keep my interests spurred well into the 70s.
Sorry if I'm starting off sounding like Grandpa Simpson. My adult nephews grew up into a fun culture of monsters, so I know the culture must be still been doing SOMETHING right all this time! :)  I'm reaching hands across the generations to say "I know you understand it too!"

My avatar is to reflect my brain-hurting desperate search to recall the first moment as a kid that I became hooked. Argh!! What was it?? To this day I still don't know, but it's on the tip of my mind. I can still recall the sensation. Just not what it was that prompted it. I'm hoping someone's photograph of some long-forgotten toy or book-cover will slam my memory wide open. "Oh yeah! NOW I rember that!!"
I feel like an archaeologist digging through the layers of my memory. I started by tracing back my Superhero and comic book interests, and that led me to The Monster Times #13, which my grandmother gave to me, over the objections of my parents. (She'd already given me, in secret, Monster Times #s 10-12, bless her little witch heart, because she sensed where my interests were).

As much as I'm puzzled with my own Monster roots in the dim recesses of my kid-memory, I couldn't be more comfortable with it. To quote Bill Warren from "Keep Watching the Skies" (who was probably already paraphrasing someone else):
"for those who don't understand the appeal, no explanation is possible. For theose who DO understand, no explanation is necssary."
"...just leave me something to read." - Francesca, Mad Monster Party

Scatter

Quote from: 60sThru80s on July 22, 2011, 09:38:11 PM
I'm a 49-year-old Monster Kid whose monster-roots and happiest monster memories were laid down in the mid-1960s to early 1970s. And thanks in advance for indulging me. There's no way I can come across as anything other than an "old fogey"   :-[
Even pre-internet and pre-DVD, the whole culture of those formative 60s-70s monster-years was SATURATED and dripping with monsters, haunted houses, dinosaurs, and outer-space mystery. The first Apollo moon landing which we watched live late-night didn't find monsters on the moon like in a "Lost in Space" episode, so my brother and I in our wisdom decided to go back to bed! But what kid wouldn't have gone ape in that kind of unbounded monster/spook/outer space-era?

Thank you Aurora Models and Testors paints, thank you Famous Monsters of Filmland and gentle Punning Prince Ackerman, thank you Chilllleeerrr Theater on WPIX-TV out of NYC (8 pm, which was midnight to me at that age), thank you "The Creep" and Creature Features on WNEW-TV out of NYC. Thank you Fright Night on WOR-TV out of NYC.
Thank you "Goop" makers for your Motorized Monster-Maker plastic moulds and mechanical wind-up bodies and too-dangerous-for-kids-today hot metal  trays and heaters (remember dipping the trays hot in the cold water to cool them down??? "WOW! I'm really Dr. Frankenstein!")
Thank you Denis Gifford for "Pictorial History of Horror Movies" whose book hit the store shelves and my hungry little mitts at precisely the right time to keep my interests spurred well into the 70s.
Sorry if I'm starting off sounding like Grandpa Simpson. My adult nephews grew up into a fun culture of monsters, so I know the culture must be still been doing SOMETHING right all this time! :)  I'm reaching hands across the generations to say "I know you understand it too!"

My avatar is to reflect my brain-hurting desperate search to recall the first moment as a kid that I became hooked. Argh!! What was it?? To this day I still don't know, but it's on the tip of my mind. I can still recall the sensation. Just not what it was that prompted it. I'm hoping someone's photograph of some long-forgotten toy or book-cover will slam my memory wide open. "Oh yeah! NOW I rember that!!"
I feel like an archaeologist digging through the layers of my memory. I started by tracing back my Superhero and comic book interests, and that led me to The Monster Times #13, which my grandmother gave to me, over the objections of my parents. (She'd already given me, in secret, Monster Times #s 10-12, bless her little witch heart, because she sensed where my interests were).

As much as I'm puzzled with my own Monster roots in the dim recesses of my kid-memory, I couldn't be more comfortable with it. To quote Bill Warren from "Keep Watching the Skies" (who was probably already paraphrasing someone else):
"for those who don't understand the appeal, no explanation is possible. For theose who DO understand, no explanation is necssary."

Dude, let me just say...............you are ONE OF US!! Welcome to The Crypt!!
We're all here because we're not all there.
http://www.distinctivedummies.net/index.html

CreepysFan

Quote from: 60sThru80s on July 22, 2011, 09:38:11 PM
"for those who don't understand the appeal, no explanation is possible. For those who DO understand, no explanation is necessary."

That quote is truth in a nutshell.  You sound like you definitely belong here, your life parallels most of us here.  Very glad you found us, and hope you find much enjoyment here.   60sthru80s...... WELCOME HOME (at least we hope you'll concider this as home).  ;D 
" THIS BLANKET IS A NECESSITY.  IT KEEPS ME FROM CRACKING UP." - LINUS VAN PELT

UndeadLegend

Well, I'm UndeadLegend, aka Justin Amick. I have been in love with monsters for a while. My first contact was seeing Frankenstein when I was really little, playing with the girl like a flower. My favorite monster is the Gillman.

Unknown Primate

Welcome, Justin - and as for your second post, Yes - Godzilla is cool here!
" Perhaps he dimly wonders why, there is no other such as I. "

UndeadLegend

Quote from: Unknown Primate on July 24, 2011, 09:14:33 PM
Welcome, Justin - and as for your second post, Yes - Godzilla is cool here!

Thanks, and thanks!

Wicked Apple

My name is Lin - I'm an artist working from my home studio. I grew up with classic horror and it's still my version of 'feel good' movies....! I do some horror inspired art, too. (I was interviewed for Women in Horror month last year.) Glad to be a part of a group of like minded people!
...not just a bad apple... a Wicked Apple...!

Count_Zirock

Welcome, Lin! You sound like just our type. Type B+, my favorite flavor!
"That's either a very ugly woman or a very pretty monster." - Lou Costello

hellboyfan

Our ranks continue to swell! Yessssss! ALL HAIL THE UMA!!!
James
"...to a new world of gods and monsters!"