TOPPS 1959 You'll die Laughing cards site

Started by ChrisW, April 02, 2009, 08:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkfink

Quote from: ChrisW on April 08, 2009, 11:47:24 AM
John, Thanks for posting the monster tatoo images. I don't remember them at all - were they "bonuses" added to card packs or sold on their own? 
Do you know how big the originals were for the "die laughing" cards and the monster tatoos?

I've never seen the Monster Tatoos in person but let me get my reference book out here...

"Monster Tatoo 1 9/16" x 3 1/2"  The spelling of the word 'tattoo' with a single 't' mark this as an early Topps issue (possibly 1962). Only the 'skull' design has been reported for the exterior wrapper which is red with black and white accents. The 'tattoos' on the interior side are not numbered or captioned and the set total has not been established."

There was a second series...

"Monster Tattoo 1 9/16" x 3 1/2"  Topps revised the 'Monster Tattoo' theme (with a double 't') in 1975. The exterior side of the wrapper carries a grinning monster design and can be found in four colors: orange, red, yellow, and blue. The tattoos on the 'interior' side are not captioned but they are numbered in 'A' and 'B' series. It is believed that there are 30 tattoos in each series."

"... has been reported...", "... has not been established...", "... It is believed..." Makes me think there is an official group of investigators tracking these down and making judgement calls on them.

I don't know how big the original artwork was for these or the You'll Die Laughing cards.

On a side note, anybody remember the grape flavored bubble gum that came with the King Kong and other monster cards? I still associate that gritty purple sugar bomb flavor with monsters. I don't think they even produce that anymore probably for health reasons.

MDG

The tattoo art I have (coincidentally the one John put up as #1), is about the same size that it shows on-screen, about 1 1/2 x 1 inch. The actual tattoo packs, I believe, included two tattoos, which is why it's listed as 3 1/2 inches wide.

I don't know about the You'll die laughing cards, but the paintings Norm Saunders did for Topps' Batman cards were 4.75" x 3.25".
MDG

ChrisW

Mike H

Hi! Sorry to bump up such an old topic, but I'm new here and having a BLAST!!

I bought this piece of Jack Davis art about 15 years ago and was told it was from the tattoo set. I've not seen a tattoo with this art (though to be honest, I haven't seen many) but it is definitely Davis's work. It is the size of a trading card (roughly 2 1/2 X 3 1/2).

The back is covered with dried glue (I think) and has marks where it was glued to Davis's work board and subsequently removed.

ChrisW

Mike H - thanks for posting such cool art!

The Creeper

That is cool!  Thanks for sharing and welcome to the UMA!
Long live the UMA!

Gasport

AWESOME! Jack Davis is one of my all time favorites...Beautiful piece!

Jscareshock

FInally completed my set on Ebay.  Davis does awesome work!

Mike H

Quote from: Jscareshock on December 30, 2009, 09:17:33 AM
FInally completed my set on Ebay.  Davis does awesome work!

Cool and congratulations! Is this image in the set?

jimm

Scary Terry

Great little Davis drawing!  I remain in awe of his lively brush line.  I doubt Jack ever had that glued to his drawing board.  The bits of black paper suggest someone had it glued in a scrapbook at one time.
Scary Terry
www.terrybeatty.blogspot.com

Mike H

Ahh- good point, Scary Terry! That makes sense!

Mike Scott

Quote from: mondocollecto.com on May 19, 2010, 09:18:09 AM
Here's another site you guys might be interested in:

Those are the 1973 YDL cards, where all the recognizable faces are replaced with new ones.

Go to the main page and check out all the cool card sets!
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website