WHO ???

Started by CreepysFan, November 04, 2008, 09:06:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CreepysFan

Mel was just the same with the seventh Doctor as she was with the sixth.  I never cared much for the whiney type companions, prefering the one's who actually accent the Doctor.  Jo Grant didn't usually need the Doctor to explain everything to her but jumped right in, often coming up with solutions without the Doctor standing by her side.  The companion before her I don't really have an oppinion for, Liz Shaw only had four episodes but seemed to be an alright character.  I accually liked Captain Jack better in the spin-off series Torchwood.  Unfortunatelly I have yet to be able to see the Sarah Jane Chronicles series.
" THIS BLANKET IS A NECESSITY.  IT KEEPS ME FROM CRACKING UP." - LINUS VAN PELT

Memphremagog

Quote from: CreepysFan on November 17, 2008, 01:56:13 AM
Great stuff all.  I pre-ordered season four from Amazon three weeks ago.  I missed the Sontaran episodes, so I'm looking forward to those.  I loved the Sontarans back in the Pertwee-Baker era.  The Stolen Earth/Journeys End finale rocked, but then Dalek stories were always the ones I liked best anyways. I'd like to see a new Silurian (lizard people) story.

The Sontarans dont disappoint in the latest story for sure.. very nicely presented and they returned again in Season 2 of the Sarah Jane Adventures..
As for the Silurians/Sea Devils, I dont know how much truth there is to this rumor, but I have heard that they could be returning next year in one of the specials featuring David Tennant's Doctor..
DARK SHADOWS:

David Collins: "Dead people dont just get up and walk around.."

Sarah Collins: "Sometimes they do."

Memphremagog

Quote from: OmahaStar on November 17, 2008, 07:53:38 PM
I'm one of those obsessive Who fans, and have been for ... well, since Colin Baker first showed on PBS here in the states.

Though I am a fan of all the various Doctors, Colin has always been my favorite.  I still hope for a multi-Doctor story bringing him into the current series, but at least I get new adventures with him from Big Finish.

I think the biggest drawback for his era is the companion Peri.  Useless doesn't begin to cover it. Ah, but that's just me. ;)

I, too , thought Colin Baker was a great Doctor..he had an edge to him not seen again until Christopher Eccleston took over as the Doctor..and he certainly deserved better than he got during his tenure as the Doctor. I would've rather had three more seasons of him than jumping into McCoy's Doctor(my least favorite). As for the biggest drawback during his era, I'd would say his hideous costume..
DARK SHADOWS:

CreepysFan

Quote from: Memphremagog on November 19, 2008, 02:47:22 AM
As for the Silurians/Sea Devils, I dont know how much truth there is to this rumor, but I have heard that they could be returning next year in one of the specials featuring David Tennant's Doctor..
If this is true, this would be fantastic. Always loved the Silurians and sea devils, and thought the show never realized the full potential for new episodes.  A return of these reptilian species would be more than welcome to this Who fan.  I have yet to see the Sarah Jane Adventures, but seriously am thinking of getting the season one dvd cause I loved the character. Since you've seen it, what is your take on her show Memphremagog ?

Memphremagog

Quote from: CreepysFan on November 19, 2008, 07:00:48 AM
If this is true, this would be fantastic. Always loved the Silurians and sea devils, and thought the show never realized the full potential for new episodes.  A return of these reptilian species would be more than welcome to this Who fan.  I have yet to see the Sarah Jane Adventures, but seriously am thinking of getting the season one dvd cause I loved the character. Since you've seen it, what is your take on her show Memphremagog ?

In the beginning, I must say I had some reservations about the Sarah Jane Adventures..however, the episodes & writing has gotten better and the episodes of Season 2 that I was able to see on youtube were pretty cool..especially The Last Sontaran and the episode where Sarah reunites with the Brigadier..there is far worse on tv these days and I think the show is worth a look in any case.
As far as the Silurians/Sea Devils returning to Doctor Who, I would love it. If they were brought back half as well as the Daleks, the Cybermen, the Master & the Sontarans were..it would be wonderful, indeed.
Their last appearance in Warriors Of the Deep, just didnt do them any justice..from the horrible costumes to weak script..a new story would go some ways to rectify this.
DARK SHADOWS:

Memphremagog

I have been doing my own celebration of Doctor Who's 45th anniversary this month by viewing a story each day from the show's history..

so far I've done:

An Unearthly Child
The Time Meddler
The Ark
The Tenth Planet
Tomb Of the Cybermen
The Seeds Of Death
Spearhead From Space
The Claws Of Axos
The Sea Devils
The Three Doctors
The Green Death
The Time Warrior
Genesis Of the Daleks
Pyramids Of Mars
Talons Of Weng-Chiang
The Invisible Enemy
The Ribos Operation
City Of Death
The Keeper Of Traken
Earthshock

and to conclude the month:
Mawdryn Undead
The Five Doctors
The Caves Of Androzani
Mark Of the Rani
The Two Doctors
Terror Of the Vervoids
Time and the Rani
Remembrance Of the Daleks
The Curse Of Fenric
The 1996 TV movie w/Paul McGann
Dalek
The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances
Army Of Ghosts/Doomsday
Utopia/The Sound Of Drums/Last Of the Time Lords
The Stolen Earth/Journey's End
DARK SHADOWS:

CreepysFan

I've been watching Hartnell, Troughton, and Pertwee stories this month too:
Dalek invasion of earth
The Web Planet
The Time Meddler
Tomd of the Cybermen
The Invasion
The Mind Robber
The Three Doctors
Inferno
Also Baker-The ark and McCoy-Ghost Light
Instead of watching one Doctor and moving to the next, I'm kind of mixing them up. But mostly sticking to the first three, with lots of episodes to go. Probably watch The Daleks and Seeds of Death tonight. One episode I wish they would hurry up and release is the cybermen story The Wheel in Space, first Zoe (Wendy Padbury) story.  If it's been released, I can't find it.  Also need to find The Tenth Planet.

Memphremagog

Quote from: CreepysFan on November 20, 2008, 06:53:47 PM
I've been watching Hartnell, Troughton, and Pertwee stories this month too:
Dalek invasion of earth
The Web Planet
The Time Meddler
Tomd of the Cybermen
The Invasion
The Mind Robber
The Three Doctors
Inferno
Also Baker-The ark and McCoy-Ghost Light
Instead of watching one Doctor and moving to the next, I'm kind of mixing them up. But mostly sticking to the first three, with lots of episodes to go. Probably watch The Daleks and Seeds of Death tonight. One episode I wish they would hurry up and release is the cybermen story The Wheel in Space, first Zoe (Wendy Padbury) story.  If it's been released, I can't find it.  Also need to find The Tenth Planet.

You are aware that many of the Hartnell/Troughton episodes no longer exist and some stories are just random episodes here & there?
An example of this is The Wheel In Space..only two episodes of this story remain for viewing, episodes 3 and 6..these were released on DVD in the Doctor Who: Lost In Time( A Collection Of Rare Episodes)
As far as The Tenth Planet goes, it has only been released on VHS to date..hopefully it will come to DVD soon.
Some of the other episodes included on the Lost In Time set are: The Crusade, The Daleks' Masterplan, The Celestial Toymaker, The Underwater Menace, The Moonbase, The Faceless Ones, Evil Of the Daleks, The Abominable Snowmen, Enemy Of the World, The Web Of Fear, & The Space Pirates..these are the remaining episodes of stories that no longer exist in whole form(unfortunately) however, they are entertaining glimpses of the original series and the Collection is very much worth purchasing.
DARK SHADOWS:

Memphremagog

From what I've heard, upcoming DVD releases of the original series include:

The Rescue, The Romans, The War Machines(all Hartnell)
The War Games(Troughton)
Full Circle, State Of Decay, Warriors' Gate(Baker)
Four To Doomsday(Davison)
The Twin Dilemma, Attack Of the Cybermen(C.Baker)
Battlefield(McCoy)
DARK SHADOWS:

CreepysFan

I knew a lot of stories were incomplete in episodes, but I hate hearing The Wheel In Space and The Moonbase were two of them.  The book adaptations were great, and I've always wanted to see those stories in the flesh.  Looks like I'll be adding several more DVDs to my collection soon (especially The Rescue, only seen it three times before but I like that story even If FX on alien are a little cheesy.), but the list of missing episodes is nothing short of depressing.  There is some great stories on that list, at least I've got them in novel form if nothing else.  Since I'll never get to see Wheel In Space, guess I'll have to reread it again soon.

Memphremagog

As the anniversary of the show is coming up in a day or so, I just wanted to give a nod of kudos(and a vote for Who Hall Of Fame) for a man who was the original series' most prolific writer:
the late, great Robert Holmes.

This talented man wrote some of the most famous Doctor Who stories ever, starting in the Patrick Troughton era and going all the way to Colin Baker's final season. His list of stories reads like a greatest hits of classic Doctor Who: The Krotons, The Space Pirates, Spearhead From Space, Terror Of the Autons, Carnival Of Monsters, The Time Warrior, The Ark In Space, Pyramids Of Mars, The Deadly Assassin, Talons Of Weng-Chiang, The Sunmakers, The Ribos Operation,
Power Of Kroll, The Caves Of Androzani, The Two Doctors and The Mysterious Planet.
DARK SHADOWS:

CreepysFan

Robert Holmes was indeed a great script writer.  In addition to his contributions to Doctor Who, he also wrote some stories for the British Sci-Fi series Blake's 7.  But it's his Who contributions that will forever be legendary, and what he will be remembered for.  Bet he would have loved seeing his Autons return in the Eccleston episode "Rose".

Memphremagog

Quote from: CreepysFan on November 22, 2008, 08:53:53 PM
Robert Holmes was indeed a great script writer.  In addition to his contributions to Doctor Who, he also wrote some stories for the British Sci-Fi series Blake's 7.  But it's his Who contributions that will forever be legendary, and what he will be remembered for.  Bet he would have loved seeing his Autons return in the Eccleston episode "Rose".

I think he would've been pleased to see the Sontarans return in the latest series as well. Ditto for the Master, as Holmes introduced him in TERROR OF THE AUTONS and reintroduced him in THE DEADLY ASSASSIN..
DARK SHADOWS:

CreepysFan

The creation of the Master was indeed a stroke of genius for Robert Holmes, and I also think he would be pleased to know his characters still live on.  When I think of the Master, the first image that comes to mind is that of Roger Delgado (Pertwee era).  This was the first version of the Master I saw, and hence the image I generally associate the part with, though I love all the incarnations.  Judging from the final scene in "Last of the Time Lords", I don't think we've seen the last of the Master.  He has a way of borrowing bodies, and usually makes arrangements and preparations in advance.

Memphremagog

If you noticed in that scene from "Last Of the Time Lords"...when the Master's ring is picked up by the female hand following his cremation, the ring has the same symbols as his & the Doctor's pocket watches which hid their Time lord essences earlier in the season..
He will definetely be back...
DARK SHADOWS: