Latest Gets?

Started by Golddragon71, February 19, 2013, 01:23:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazarus

Yay!  I hope you enjoy it!  It's been a favorite at my house since we got it.

BRICK

This Halloween may not have started out too promising, but this 2019 season turned out to to be a great year for Universal Monster items!

When times are dark, don't consider art to be merely a distraction; rather, think of it as a lifeline-  Neil Gaiman paraphrase.

Mike Scott

Did you get enough Frankenstein cups?  ;D

Are those panels from Walmart?
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

BRICK

Quote from: Mike Scott on November 11, 2019, 01:57:23 PM
Did you get enough Frankenstein cups?  ;D

If you knew how many stores I had to go to before I found them, you wouldn't have to ask. And, yes, both the displays and the cups are from Walmart.
When times are dark, don't consider art to be merely a distraction; rather, think of it as a lifeline-  Neil Gaiman paraphrase.

Mord

Quote from: BRICK on November 11, 2019, 02:36:14 PM
If you knew how many stores I had to go to before I found them, you wouldn't have to ask. And, yes, both the displays and the cups are from Walmart.
The cups and panels are incredibly cool. Great finds.

Lazarus

Aww.  I missed the cups. I would have gotten one for sure if I'd seen it.

BRICK

Quote from: Lazarus on November 11, 2019, 04:27:04 PM
Aww.  I missed the cups. I would have gotten one for sure if I'd seen it.

I would keep checking Walmart for the cups. Although I believe they were supposed to be Halloween items, in the store I ultimately found them at, they were in the regular party section; and not reduced to after-Halloween close-out prices!

geezer butler

Great stuff Brick. I'm glad you were able to get those panels. I saw those at Wal-Mart a few weeks ago. I asked the electronics guys what they did with those displays after Halloween. As we say in Italian, the guy was a real mamaluke. He told me they throw them away. I asked "You don't give them to employees?" Nope throw em away. I said "Well, what if I told you I'd like to take them?" Nope throw em away. I told him "that's bull$*^t." He said take it up with management. Can you believe that? So I told my wife I was gonna go back and just steal the panels, straight up. I should have.

StyreneDude

Quote from: geezer butler on November 12, 2019, 02:01:17 AM
Great stuff Brick. I'm glad you were able to get those panels. I saw those at Wal-Mart a few weeks ago. I asked the electronics guys what they did with those displays after Halloween. As we say in Italian, the guy was a real mamaluke. He told me they throw them away. I asked "You don't give them to employees?" Nope throw em away. I said "Well, what if I told you I'd like to take them?" Nope throw em away. I told him "that's bull$*^t." He said take it up with management. Can you believe that? So I told my wife I was gonna go back and just steal the panels, straight up. I should have.

Nothing like a Wal-Mart employee on a power trip.

AndyFish

Quote from: geezer butler on November 12, 2019, 02:01:17 AM

Always talk to a manager-- now a Walmart manager is probably a $7.75/hour clerk, but they are (hopefully) better trained than the $7.55 clerks.

fearliath

Quote from: AndyFish on November 12, 2019, 11:45:09 AM
Always talk to a manager-- now a Walmart manager is probably a $7.75/hour clerk, but they are (hopefully) better trained than the $7.55 clerks.

Walmart store managers make an average of $92,400 per year.

Walmart store department managers start at $13.00/hr. In January starting managers will begin at $15.

Starting wage for a regular associate is $11/hr

I don't work for Walmart or anything but I know some kids in my neighborhood that do and it doesn't seem too bad.

marsattacks666

Quote from: BRICK on November 11, 2019, 01:35:51 PM
This Halloween may not have started out too promising, but this 2019 season turned out to to be a great year for Universal Monster items!

Great score, Brick.
About those Universal Monster display panels. My Wife went to three different Walmart stores, and on two separate occasions, when We asked for those display pieces. We were denied. Both Managers said that the panels were going to be returned and could not be given away, due to copywrite issues.

So.....
On the third attempt. We asked, again. The Electronics clerk called his Manager( via cellphone) and had to describe what I requested.  The Manager then granted my request. Third times a charm. Awesomeness!
    "They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

BRICK

I know that in the past, when I asked about Walmart store displays, I have been told that they only give them to store employees or that they raffle them for charity. Never-the-less, I have acquired a pretty extensive collection of Universal Monster displays, dating back to the 1990's.

Lazarus

Got some items for my monster-centric board game collecting endeavor.

First one is called Halloween.  You play as demon lords trying to scare the hell out of a little town that thinks the holiday is just fun and games, and have forgotten it's traditions of protection against evil spirits.

Barker's Row is not a monster game, but I can cite Freaks and say Carnies are at least horror-adjacent.  You play as competing carnival barkers, trying to attract 'rubes from the midway by having the most appealing shows you can.

And I also got Ghostbusters: The Board Game II.  It's got Vigo, Janos as the old lady, the Statue of Liberty, the slime blowers, mood slime.  All the stuff

I haven't played anything yet, but I'm hopeful that some of these will be enjoyable.

Mike Scott

Uncle G. came in today's mail!  :)

CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website