Latest Gets?

Started by Golddragon71, February 19, 2013, 01:23:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maceo1

Quote from: Mike Scott on October 04, 2017, 10:25:41 AM
Haven't had the urge, so far!  ;D
What is the average lifespan of a VHS tape ? 15-20 years ?  Anyway...Not long ago I opened an old VHS of "Demon Rage" with Lana Wood, and it just disintegrated into little pieces of gooey tape inside the VCR.  I had to go get a DVD of the movie to watch it.
I am being watched, by blind people.

Maceo1

AndyFish

CVS had some neat lifesize monster heads that light up bright red on the inside-- I really dug 'em.  They are generic Frankenstein, Mummy and Dracula likeness' but when they light up they are boss.

Mord

Quote from: Maceo1 on October 04, 2017, 11:25:32 AM
I do not think so, why do you ask ?
It was a joke comment on taking the wrapper off of anything. It's a running gag to call someone insane when they suggest the sacrilegious act of actually opening collectibles. Don't take it the wrong way. You're one of the most sane persons here.

Mike Scott

Quote from: Maceo1 on October 04, 2017, 10:36:45 AM
What is the average lifespan of a VHS tape ? 15-20 years ? 

I always thought it was a "number of plays" thing?

Quote from: Maceo1 on October 04, 2017, 10:36:45 AM
. . it just disintegrated into little pieces of gooey tape inside the VCR.

Never heard of that? I have a few things left, from the '80s, that look just fine.
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

Mike Scott

Quote from: AndyFish on October 04, 2017, 11:38:37 AM
CVS had some neat lifesize monster heads

Those are pretty neat!  :) Love the red!
CREATURE FAN

Maceo1

Quote from: Mord on October 04, 2017, 12:22:06 PM
It was a joke comment on taking the wrapper off of anything. It's a running gag to call someone insane when they suggest the sacrilegious act of actually opening collectibles. Don't take it the wrong way. You're one of the most sane persons here.

I figured that's what you were referring to.  If you collect to keep, or if you collect to resell, taking the heat shrink off a package is not a big deal. It can easily be resealed with heat shrink wrapping and a hair dryer (sometimes you can use a $15.00 euro sealer ).
How would you know if a $300.00 sealed Aurora Mummy model actually had the real parts inside? Take it to your doctor for an x-ray ? Some are just filled with some old car model sprues. But nobody wants to open them. Original owner takes out model kit, replaces it, seals it up again and off it goes to ebay. Believe me it happens quite frequently. 
Guess I am a "glass half empty" kind of person, always looking for the cons before looking at the pros . Serves me well so far.

Maceo1

Quote from: Mike Scott on October 04, 2017, 12:31:29 PM
I always thought it was a "number of plays" thing?

Never heard of that? I have a few things left, from the '80s, that look just fine.
No, just time, and chemistry, kills them.

Mord

Quote from: Maceo1 on October 04, 2017, 12:43:36 PM
No, just time, and chemistry, kills them.
True. Also, they way they are stored. Heat and humidity will kill em easily.

Mord

Quote from: Maceo1 on October 04, 2017, 12:42:10 PM
I figured that's what you were referring to.  If you collect to keep, or if you collect to resell, taking the heat shrink off a package is not a big deal. It can easily be resealed with heat shrink wrapping and a hair dryer (sometimes you can use a $15.00 euro sealer ).
How would you know if a $300.00 sealed Aurora Mummy model actually had the real parts inside? Take it to your doctor for an x-ray ? Some are just filled with some old car model sprues. But nobody wants to open them. Original owner takes out model kit, replaces it, seals it up again and off it goes to ebay. Believe me it happens quite frequently. 
Guess I am a "glass half empty" kind of person, always looking for the cons before looking at the pros . Serves me well so far.
Absolutely! I wouldn't pay hundreds of dollars for an original Aurora without counting parts. Hell, I wouldn't buy original Auroras anyway. The 1999 reissues were all I needed. I never collect to resell. Though, sometimes I get offered ridiculous amounts of cash for something, and it's out the door.

SpeedierThantheGrave

Quote from: glane21 on September 29, 2017, 09:53:43 AM

I grabbed one of these too.  That Cinepolis chain in Mexico releases premiums for almost every movie that we don't get here.  For Hotel Transylvania they had drink bottles shaped like the four main monsters' heads.  Things like that.

There was another sarcophagus premium for The Mummy, a metal pen holder that you could actually get through Regal Cinemas in the States with their loyalty points program.  I have one of those on the way because I am a sucker for sarcophagus toys and premiums.

What a gyp! I'd go to the movies a lot more if I got cool souvies.  And you're right - who doesn't love a good sarcophagus??

Is the pen holder in this package?  Let's see a pic when it comes in! (Please)

Stay sick. Turn blue. Drop dead.

MadCow

Finally caved and picked up the color version of the One:12 Frankenstein. The price was too good to resist. Hopefully the B&W version will come down in price eventually.

glane21

Here is the The Mummy pen holder sarcophagus premium from the Tom Cruise version.  It's about 6 inches long and all metal, very heavy.  Also includes a shot of it beside the Cinepolis premium hotdog holder sarcophagus.  As well as a The Haunted Mansion coffin pen set.

the_horror_man

Quote from: AndyFish on October 04, 2017, 11:38:37 AM
CVS had some neat lifesize monster heads that light up bright red on the inside-- I really dug 'em.  They are generic Frankenstein, Mummy and Dracula likeness' but when they light up they are boss.

Cool item. However, this looks more like Bub from Day of the Dead. ;D

thm

Mike Scott

Quote from: MadCow on October 18, 2017, 01:42:32 AM
Finally caved and picked up the color version of the One:12 Frankenstein.

What is this? Is it the figure?
CREATURE FAN