Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Scott

CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

Monsters For Sale

ADAM

1/6thtoyz

Another Hikari preorder from Bigbadtoystore. Sold out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkk lium

Mike Scott

I like it, but I'm not gonna buy it. I'm waiting for the DST bank!
CREATURE FAN

Monsters For Sale

Quote from: 1/6thtoyz on November 10, 2014, 11:19:25 PM
Another Hikari preorder from Bigbadtoystore. Sold out....

I really don't understand why these are so popular.

I know the Japanese market goes for the deformed figures in bright colors.  But why are they gaining such a following in the U.S. - especially among collectors who constantly complain about figures not being "screen accurate" enough?

To me, they are garish and bizarre-looking.  I just don't get the appeal.
ADAM

1/6thtoyz

I only bought the creature and stop there. It's seems they're making more.
  What's up with that Japan liking deformed figures? I've seen Star Wars too deformed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkk lium

Mord

Quote from: Monsters For Sale on November 10, 2014, 11:32:17 PM
I really don't understand why these are so popular.

I know the Japanese market goes for the deformed figures in bright colors.  But why are they gaining such a following in the U.S. - especially among collectors who constantly complain about figures not being "screen accurate" enough?

To me, they are garish and bizarre-looking.  I just don't get the appeal.
I'm with you, Adam. I hate all of these (and to add insult to injury, the price is ridiculous).

horrorhunter

I like many stylized monster toys. Some of the best stuff we grew up with is stylized/deformed- Palmers, Big Frankie Kit, Nutty Mads & Weird-Ohs, Niks.

The price on this new Japanese stuff is totally offputting. I had rather put my monster money toward other items where I feel like I'm getting my money's worth.
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

Mike Scott

Quote from: Monsters For Sale on November 10, 2014, 11:32:17 PM
- especially among collectors who constantly complain about figures not being "screen accurate" enough?

Even if you mean "close to screen accurate" (which is the best you'll ever get), you'll have a small collection that won't get bigger very often.

I kinda like the oddball stuff, as long as it's not an unlicensed wannabee, like the "Stretch Screamer". If it's vintage enough, like the '60s bobble head, I might change my mind, though.
CREATURE FAN

Mike Scott

Quote from: horrorhunter on November 11, 2014, 12:58:16 PM
The price on this new Japanese stuff is totally offputting.

This Hikari Creature was cheaper than the Mezco variants and I bought 3 of those!
CREATURE FAN

horrorhunter

Quote from: Mike Scott on November 11, 2014, 01:28:23 PM
This Hikari Creature was cheaper than the Mezco variants and I bought 3 of those!
New deformed figures aren't worth 50 bucks a shot to me, but I was mainly referring to some of those high end Godzilla figures which cost several hundred dollars. I know some people buy them but I'm just stating my own buying practices.
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

Mord

Quote from: Mike Scott on November 11, 2014, 01:24:44 PM
Even if you mean "close to screen accurate" (which is the best you'll ever get), you'll have a small collection that won't get bigger very often.

I like that. My collection is big enough now where I really don't want it to grow much. I don't buy any new "stylized" figures & I'm slowly getting rid of the few ones I have. I don't like the Mezco figures (the Mummy's ok, I guess), but this Hikari stuff hits a new low.

monsterjoe

This style of figures has been coming from Japan for decades...They invented "Super Deformed". Most everything they do is in this bright color scheme and the price? They don't do cheap.....

Anton Phibes

wonderful puppy chew toy. I dont get the appeal of these things either. Maybe we are just too old. :angel:

Mord

Quote from: Anton Phibes on November 11, 2014, 08:58:47 PM
wonderful puppy chew toy. I dont get the appeal of these things either. Maybe we are just too old. :angel:
...or too smart.