Vintage monsters and a cash crunch? Your experiences? (if any)

Started by Anton Phibes, April 27, 2011, 03:44:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

poseablemonster

I had to sell my collection once due to family issues.  I got decent money, and it was enough to get us through a very hard time.  Since then, I have replaced basically all the items that I wanted back except for one...the boxed AHI Dracula.  One recently came up for sale but I was not able to work with the seller on a price.  Oh, well; it doesn't really matter.  The important thing is that the stuff helped me do what was best for my family at the time, and even if I never find another boxed Dracula; I will never regret my decision.  In fact, I am very proud of it.  If circumstances dictated a need to sell off my favorite things again to help my family; I would not hesitate to do it. 

Bogey

Quote from: poseablemonster on April 30, 2011, 04:28:12 PM
I had to sell my collection once due to family issues.  I got decent money, and it was enough to get us through a very hard time.  Since then, I have replaced basically all the items that I wanted back except for one...the boxed AHI Dracula.  One recently came up for sale but I was not able to work with the seller on a price.  Oh, well; it doesn't really matter.  The important thing is that the stuff helped me do what was best for my family at the time, and even if I never find another boxed Dracula; I will never regret my decision.  In fact, I am very proud of it.  If circumstances dictated a need to sell off my favorite things again to help my family; I would not hesitate to do it.

Hear, hear!

Mord

Anton, whatever you do, stay away from E-Bay. It's a buyers market right now. I've seen way too many people getting screwed selling some high quality stuff. Put stuff on consignment at a local comics/collectibles shop. Better yet, list some of it on the "Monsters for Sale" section of this website. You might find a fellow UMAer willing to pay you a fair price for your valuables. AND, do not sell anything that is very special to you (you might not find it again). I'm really sorry you're going through this. I hope things get better for you soon.

Illoman

Yeah, I agree. I just auctioned off some Frazetta collectibles for a friend of mine, and while she was happy to get what she got I think she got taken. One lot had the first three Frazetta Ballantine books from the late 70's still shrink wrapped(!), the Comic Strip Art of Frazetta, the Rare Frazetta and both Magic of... and More Magic of Frazetta bootleg magazines in near mint condition. Everything sold for about $30. I thought she'd get $50 minimum. She considered it "found money", but I feel for her. If I was in a better financial situation myself I would have given her $50 for the lot and skipped eBay. Oh well...

Anton Phibes

Quote from: Mord on April 30, 2011, 06:27:03 PM
Anton, whatever you do, stay away from E-Bay. It's a buyers market right now. I've seen way too many people getting screwed selling some high quality stuff. Put stuff on consignment at a local comics/collectibles shop. Better yet, list some of it on the "Monsters for Sale" section of this website. You might find a fellow UMAer willing to pay you a fair price for your valuables. AND, do not sell anything that is very special to you (you might not find it again). I'm really sorry you're going through this. I hope things get better for you soon.


Well~~ I ended up selling my Fantastic Four statues to my dad (seriously) who said he wanted them and loved looking at them every time he came over. I had them on ebay for $699.99 ($100 more than I paid for them to cover ebay's horrible fees), but cancelled the auction and sold them to my pops for what I paid for them. He's happy, I am happy. Hopefully I wont have to sell anything else for awhile. I know what you mean about ebay though. The flea market this weekend was filled with people selling their collectibles, and one who displaying their ebay powerseller certificate. I have a feeling more people will be exiting ebay due to increased fees, and decreased interest.............

jimm

I let go of my remaining comics at such a time, I miss 'em, then again I never tried to replace them so there you go...

toys-of-terror

Ebay is only good for the super rare items anymore, I buy items from ebay to take to the conventions and double and triple my money. Stay away from there brother unless its a true rarity. I would suggest a horror convention is there is one near by. I make a good living at these shows as long as you have great merchandise.

jimm

I post high on ebay with a higher buy it now, listing is free so why not??

AndyFish

Take some nice quality pics of your collection-- sometimes that makes it easier to let go.
But I second (third?) the notion that if the economy is weak the collector market will suffer for sellers too.  I've heard from several friends that eBay sales are way down on vintage items and a lot of stuff ends up going for next to nothing-- and if you list with a reserve you tend to get less bids and the fees will kill you.

jimm

Thats why I list at the minimum I would sell for, without add ons its free, if it doesn't sell you are out nothing

Anton Phibes

I dont think I am going to be putting anything else of monster quality on ebay. I recently put a fairly expensive/fairly rare set of items up on ebay....and all I got was some really rude and outright hateful offers from what I like to call "the flea market crowd". (FYI--I ike flea markets, but I am not a jerk to sellers I meet there) :blank:When an item is listed for $300-400 and you have some smart alec tell you he'll give you $50 for them...thats just plain cheap and extremely rude. :o

robodog

How stupid are these people? an item worth $300 for $50? And you know they'd just turn around and sell them for $300 themselves.

I wouldn't know what it's like to have anything valuable enough to be worth selling. The most valuable thing I have is an original Boglin with the box and if I wanted to get rid of it I'd just give it to someone who wanted it. I wouldn't bother selling it.

Illoman

Quote from: Anton Phibes on May 03, 2011, 04:02:59 PM
I dont think I am going to be putting anything else of monster quality on ebay. I recently put a fairly expensive/fairly rare set of items up on ebay....and all I got was some really rude and outright hateful offers from what I like to call "the flea market crowd". (FYI--I ike flea markets, but I am not a jerk to sellers I meet there) :blank:When an item is listed for $300-400 and you have some smart alec tell you he'll give you $50 for them...thats just plain cheap and extremely rude. :o

Anton, I've run into that same kind of behavior on eBay when I'm lowballing my paintings. And then to have some bottom feeder offer me half of that... Very frustrating....

darkmonkeygod

Quote from: Anton Phibes on May 03, 2011, 04:02:59 PM
I recently put a fairly expensive/fairly rare set of items up on ebay....and all I got was some really rude and outright hateful offers from what I like to call "the flea market crowd". (FYI--I ike flea markets, but I am not a jerk to sellers I meet there) :blank:When an item is listed for $300-400 and you have some smart alec tell you he'll give you $50 for them...thats just plain cheap and extremely rude. :o

Is that with a "Best Offer" or are people sending you emails about it? I don't mind the best offer stuff as it can be set to auto reject (or accept) offers or, alternately, dismissed with the click of a button. People emailing and trying to lowball? That's annoying.
Shannon aka monsieurmonkey on UMA Y!

yendor1152

Well, I'm an autograph collector--with a particular liking for Dark Shadows--and there was a David Selby signed 8 x 10 on eBay for weeks listed at $40.00. Now, being a savvy buyer and collector, I knew Selby's autograph wasn't worth nearly that much. There was a "make an offer" option, so I wrote the Seller and offered $10.00 because I really liked this particular shot of Selby. He accepted the bid, and voila! I now own the photograph!

I've been buying and selling (but mostly buying) on eBay since 1998, and there is definitely a psychology to it. I used to put a Reserve on my stuff but soon learned that a Reserve auction puts potential Buyers off. So, now, I list what I would accept as my lowest bid as my opening bid. Works like a charm every time. I've had very good luck selling items, and they're not always rare. Right now, I have a few Beistle Halloween items up that are selling very well. My own investment in them was minimal.

It's my feeling that Ebay is a reliable resource for buying and selling. You just have to be smart enough to navigate those waters without sinking!

Rod