Lost Coffin Joe Movie Resurfaces

Started by Toy Ranch, February 28, 2008, 10:22:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toy Ranch

http://twitchfilm.net/site/view/coffin-joes-lost-film-recovered-and-restored-first-images-from-a-praga/

Coffin Joe's Lost Film Recovered And Restored!  First Images From A PRAGA!
Posted by Todd Brown at 3:22pm.
Posted in Film News , Cult, Horror, Mexico & South America.

Many, many thanks to Fernando from the upcoming RIOFAN festival for not only bringing news of a lost film by Coffin Joe but for also passing along details and the first images!  Here's Fernando with the news ...

Coffin Joe is back in business! After more than 10 years absent from screens, horror legend José Mojica Marins is in for a big comeback. Not only will his much-awaited A Encarnação do Demônio (Embodiment of Evil) hit Brazilian screens on July 25th, Mojica also has plans to release another feature this year.

Written by longtime collaborator Rubens F. Luchetti, A Praga (The Plague) tells the story of a young couple that goes out in a small trip and inadvertently takes some pictures of a strange old lady (played by the late Wanda Kosmo) who turns out to be a sinister witch. Doing what witches are expected to do, she places a terrible curse upon them.

A Praga was almost entirely shot in super-8 back in 1980, but the footage was shelved due to lack of resources to finish it. During the preparations of a major retrospective of his work that took place in São Paulo and Brasilia in 2007 – for which brand new 35mm prints of no less than 25 films were made –, Mojica and producer Eugenio Puppo jumped at the opportunity to finish the project. Puppo put together the raw material, shot additional scenes, edited and supervised all the post production process, and the result was shown to those lucky enough to attend the retrospective. Puppo and Mojica are now looking for means to transfer the film to 35mm. A Praga is expected to travel around international festivals and there are plans of a commercial release in Brazil.

In May, Mojica will receive an award for his career and present a preview of Embodiment of Evil in the first Rio Fantastic Film Festival - RIOFAN. The official trailer is in its way to hit screens pretty soon.

raycastile

Thank you for posting this.  I knew about A PRAGA, but this is the first time I've seen pictures.  I see the release date for Embodiment of Evil seems to have changed again, from Aug. 8 to July 25.
Raymond Castile

Nicole

Thank you, Bobby. I didn't know about A PRAGA, nor had I seen any images. This is very cool news.

While we're on the topic of films that have yet to be released, I've always wondered what happened to Barcinski and Finotti's 2001 JMM documentary that was shown at Sundance. Some years back, I was told that the rights to the film were sold to a company in Germany, but I could never confirm this. Ray, by any chance, do you know what ever happened to it?
"If you can't learn to do it well, learn to enjoy doing it badly." -Ashleigh Brilliant

Creepy

Check out my Vintage posters and Masks at The Haunted Cinema

raycastile

A lot of people have asked about the documentary.  I have no idea what happened.  You would think it would have seen an American release by now.  Maybe it will turn up as an extra on an Encarnacao DVD.

Dennison Ramalho says the July 25 date is not set in stone.  The release date could still be Aug. 8.  July 25 is Dennison's birthday, by the way.
Raymond Castile

Nicole

Quote from: raycastile on February 29, 2008, 09:57:48 AM
Dennison Ramalho says the July 25 date is not set in stone.  The release date could still be Aug. 8.  July 25 is Dennison's birthday, by the way.

Interesting. First Mojica's birthday, then Dennison's. I wonder who's birthday is on Aug. 8? :-\
"If you can't learn to do it well, learn to enjoy doing it badly." -Ashleigh Brilliant

SpankRamen

Thanks for sharing this article! ;D I knew "A Praga" by name only because it's on Mojica's list of films at IMDB. I hope that all of his other movies can be restored & released onto DVD. The copies from Something Weird Video are... um... I just want his other movies to be restored & put on DVD. :D
Oh brother, Embodiment Of Evil. ::) That release date just can't keep from getting moved around & these are the Brazilian dates! I still want to know if we Americans will get a chance to see it.

Nicole

Quote from: SpankRamen on March 01, 2008, 07:36:50 AM
Oh brother, Embodiment Of Evil. ::) That release date just can't keep from getting moved around & these are the Brazilian dates! I still want to know if we Americans will get a chance to see it.

I'm not holding out much hope for an American theatrical release. But we should be able to get it when it is released on DVD in Brazil.

SpankRamen

Quote from: Nicole on March 02, 2008, 01:16:38 AM
I'm not holding out much hope for an American theatrical release.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed because of the St. Louis International Film Festival. If by chance it gets shown in a theater, it might get shown there & that usually falls in early-mid November.