Show off your Weekly Finds.

Started by hhwolfman, December 08, 2007, 11:21:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hhwolfman

Ok Boils and Ghouls. This thread is for, as some Say, Showing off. What ever you get in, in the weeks, days years to come. Post pictures and a Story if you want. Brag about the Price or Be real Secretive, How you masterfully sniped on ebay. What you found at a Garage sale. Regular auction. Thrift store etc. Nothing to big, nothing to small. What ever you find for the week. I go first.   MY best friend of   was at a garage sale kinda late. He looked on a half price table and this Adams Family Cereal was on it. Marked $4 and half that $2. $2 is great price just if it was regular, but This is a promotional box, Sent to the Stores. There is  something in the box, and it don't sound like Cereal. I might pop the seal sometime if I am brave enough. He just gave it to me. :} Notice the back of the box.  Second piece was the Coppersmith Creature. Finally got one. Paid about half what they go for. Private dealer Mailorder. Nuff said. That's all last week slow week. HHW

Dr.Terror

I really dig those plaques, especially framed like that, and I shudder to think what might be in that cereal box. :P
Morning, noon, or night, Anytime . . . . the count may strike. If you're caught you have to linger, Cause Dracula may bite your finger!

Toy Ranch

Gareee

Maybe there are dried eyeballs in the box?
Or old nasty fingertips?
Some decaying rotted teeth?
Or a bunch of mouse droppings, and the remains of the mouse who was trapped in the box in packaging, and who finally starved to death once his food ran out?

hhwolfman

Quote from: Gareee on December 09, 2007, 09:10:17 AM
Maybe there are dried eyeballs in the box?
Or old nasty fingertips?
Some decaying rotted teeth?
Or a bunch of mouse droppings, and the remains of the mouse who was trapped in the box in packaging, and who finally starved to death once his food ran out?

Maybe there is Promotional Items. Ohhh OHhhh Moving feet ala Homer Simpson.

poseablemonster

Love the creature plaque. 
I picked these up at the local toy show today, both items I've never seen before. 

Werewolf fireworks!  Cool art on these!

This one is a Fitz & Floyd Dracula bank; It is marked F&F Japan and numbered on the bottom...no date but the guy said it was 60's?  I think it's a really cool looking piece - kinda Edward Gorey-ish.

Roback

Whoa, now you're hitting close to home. I've been collecting firecracker labels since the age of 8. Even wrote to Yick Long Fireworks ( home of Thunderbomb ) to ask for labels for " show and tell " when I was nine. Anyhoo, that Werewolf label routine sells for around $25.00. Nice find Andy.

ps. You'd be surprised what comes up under " firecracker labels " on eBay. Quite the community of collectors too.
Robert Acquarulo

poseablemonster

Quote from: Roback on December 09, 2007, 07:17:57 PM
Whoa, now you're hitting close to home. I've been collecting firecracker labels since the age of 8. Even wrote to Yick Long Fireworks ( home of Thunderbomb ) to ask for labels for " show and tell " when I was nine. Anyhoo, that Werewolf label routine sells for around $25.00. Nice find Andy. 

Cool!  Good to know...I picked up all 6 of them that the guy had.   ;D

Monster Bob

poseable-

I find your Werewolf firecracker pack most interesting in that it says "Made In China" on the label.  I have a couple of packs, which I bought new in the summer of 1971-72 in Tennessee, which say "Made in Macau" on them, with less warnings on the label. They have identical artwork and lettering, though.

Now this is an oddball "cousin" to your pack labels I bought new about 5-10 years ago (I don't remember exactly the year!). It's one of those "Battle of the Bulge" type things that shoots rockets and bangs for 2 or 3 minutes and costs twenty bucks! It. too, says "Made In China" on it. So cool and nostalgic for me I had to buy it, but I lit it off because the thought of unspent gunpowder in the middle of a monster collection was, well, scary...

poseablemonster

That is cool, Bob.  I thought that the "Made in China" dated it to the early 90's, but who knows with this kind of stuff. 

hhwolfman

I bought mine in 88 from a Firecracker label Dealer Mine  is unused and says Made in Macau.

GAKENSTEIN

I never knew these things existed!  Are there other monster labels??  Let's see 'em!
"Supernatural perhaps, baloney perhaps not!"

Roback

The only other monster label that I was able to find this year came on a fountain. Notice the Wolfman fountain in the front row? Naturally I saved the label before lighting it.  ;)

To back track a bit, here is the envelope the factory in China sent me way back in 1976. Note the address in the upper left hand corner. My dad always told me that he got questioned regarding why his son was writing to a communist country ( or so he told me, maybe to scare me which it did. )

In case you're curious, here are some of the labels that they sent me. On a side note, of course as a kid I had to ask for more in a second letter. The Chinese got smart after the first packet of freebies, wanted a buck per for every one after.  ;D

Robert Acquarulo

Monster Bob

Hey Roback, those are some really neat labels~!

Monster Bob

Quote from: GAKENSTEIN on December 09, 2007, 10:43:27 PM
I never knew these things existed!  Are there other monster labels??  Let's see 'em!

Gak- these were not from a 'series' or anything, and there were no others available at the 3 or 4 firecracker emporiums I went to annually as a kid (one being called 'Loco Joe's' in Tennessee!). I was just so amazed by the art on these things when I was a kid. I had no idea the Macauians-or is it Macaws(?)  had any idea what a werewolf was! Where's Macau, anyway???

They did have a few cool BATMAN inspired packs, but alas, I lost them to time...